moving to thailand now or later

boris77

thanks for all the replys. sure is food for thought . my wife already has a small business plan and without too much of a set up cost. and it s a pretty good idea, small but could pay the billls etc. like i said in first post i d always put off the idea of living in thailand once i had kids , but now ive got an inner urge to give it a go and it wont go away. we are not coming to thailand to get rich just live a simple , happy life in a nice house in a nice enviroment. chumphon . or i just forget about it and let the urge go away and be sensible and safe

Boris the Road to Hell is paved with good intentions. Given your present financial circumstances it would be very difficult. That's just an observation don't take it personally.

Why don't you plan extended holidays every year and get a feel for it first.

hi atf , extended holidays each year only in the past have teased me into wanting to give it a go. it depend s what drives you i suppose, im not one who needs loads of money to make me happy, its not all about finances , i understand a little financial security but 4 million baht isnt a bad starting point is it ?

But this would also be like an extended holiday. You wrote that you are willing to go back 3 months every 6 months. So will you only live here 6 months a year then? And stay alone without wife and kids 6 months?

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for all the replys. sure is food for thought . my wife already has a small business plan and without too much of a set up cost. and it s a pretty good idea, small but could pay the billls etc. like i said in first post i d always put off the idea of living in thailand once i had kids , but now ive got an inner urge to give it a go and it wont go away. we are not coming to thailand to get rich just live a simple , happy life in a nice house in a nice enviroment. chumphon . or i just forget about it and let the urge go away and be sensible and safe

Dear Boris,

I would like to disagree with some of advice that fellow members from Thai visa stated. First is that Thai international school cost 200,000 per kid.

That is false, you can check at any web site , for example Dara academy.or contact them via email, you have many choices.

Also community schools are not that bad.

Universities, depending if they are private or state can be from 50 000 to 700,000 THB per year, depending on program, location and status.

Its true that you cannot work for Thai company as carpenter, but that doesnt mean you cannot own 49% of firm that is doing carpenters jobs, anyway you are young, which is pretty positive, since you can easy find part time jobs in Australia or New Zealand, Its 6h of flight from Thailand, but you can safe more money, while your children and wife is at thailand, Carpentry jobs are on priority list for skilled immigration. if your wife doesnt have problem with you going abroad to work, I think its much clever than staying in UK,

About building a house, I suggest you to choose location that is in cheaper part of thailand, unless your wife job is related to tourism, then you should choose more "attractive" location.

You have many options, money are solid that you have, but If you are really skilled and good, plus you are young, dont hesitate to combine living in thailand with working in australia,

Even if a foreigner owns a buisiness, he cannot work for the company without a WP, this also depend on what kind of job you apply like management is ok but you must strictly keep to it, you cannot for example be a clerk or driver even if these employees are absent all these kind of jobs are reserved for the Thai.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Having made a similar move, but without children, I offer the following:

1. Work: Position yourself for success. Have you considered taking some of the money you've saved and getting a certification that might allow you to work in Thailand? Or, allow you to work somewhere near Thailand, like Australia as others have mentioned. I'm thinking something like a specialty welding certification, commercial diving, recreational diving instructor, etc. You might find something that can be learned in 6 months or so, and would pay big dividends in your future no matter where you live. You could work offshore for 3 months, and live the good life in Thailand for 3 months, and so on. Lots of Falangs here doing that.
  2. Living in Thailand: I agree, it is probably a good to try it out for one year. Rent someplace in the area you want to stay and see how it is on a day to day basis. See how you and your children adapt to the new surroundings. After a few months, or even a few weeks, you'll see how expensive things really are (might even be less expensive than you imagine), you'll see if you really can get deported for washing your car (haha j/k). You'll see the real Thailand. Not saying it's better or worse, but it's different than being on holiday. You're renting now, and you're a carpenter, so it's not like you can't leave for a year and go right back if you need to. The good news is you're in a great position to make a move; no house to sell, no business to liquidate, etc.
  3. Education: How do you feel about your kids going to a Thai school? They are half Thai, after all. Seems to me they would have an advantage since they can speak English already. I'm trying to look on the bright side here, and admittedly have no idea what the education system in Chumpon is like. Have you looked into it? I'm assuming they have Thai passports or could get them easily.

I say go for it, but with eyes wide open.

Good Luck!!!

• Like 2

Dear Boris,

I would like to disagree with some of advice that fellow members from Thai visa stated. First is that Thai international school cost 200,000 per kid.

That is false, you can check at any web site , for example Dara academy.or contact them via email, you have many choices.

Universities, depending if they are private or state can be from 50 000 to 700,000 THB per year, depending on program, location and status.

Its true that you cannot work for Thai company as carpenter, but that doesnt mean you cannot own 49% of firm that is doing carpenters jobs, anyway you are young, which is pretty positive, since you can easy find part time jobs in Australia or New Zealand, Its 6h of flight from Thailand, but you can safe more money, while your children and wife is at thailand, Carpentry jobs are on priority list for skilled immigration. if your wife doesnt have problem with you going abroad to work, I think its much clever than staying in UK,

About building a house, I suggest you to choose location that is in cheaper part of thailand, unless your wife job is related to tourism, then you should choose more "attractive" location.

You have many options, money are solid that you have, but If you are really skilled and good, plus you are young, dont hesitate to combine living in thailand with working in australia,

Dara Academy is not an International School, it is a private school. Please do not give advice on the education system in Thailand if you don't know the difference between public, private, and international schools. International schools here are very, very expensive.....many far exceed the 200,000 mark in tuition. There are also very steep "one time" enrollment fees among other things.

Edited by inbangkok

IMO You have to little money to move here with two kids. After building the house and buying stuff you have one million left according to your post. 400k of those will be locked up to get the visa. Then you ave 600k baht left, and no job!! For a family of four and schooling for two kids !!!!

Be aware he's said he could go back to work and earn three month of the year.

In reality it's similar to use 28/28's

Yes but to be fair, what's the point in moving to Thailand and then go back 3 months every 6 months? Then he could stay in UK and do long holidays here instead. And doing the kids schooling in UK

Dear Boris,

Dara Academy is not an International School, it is a private school. Please do not give advice on the education system in Thailand if you don't know the difference between public, private, and international schools. International schools here are very, very expensive.....many far exceed the 200,000 mark in tuition. There are also very steep "one time" enrollment fees among other things.

Yes that is true, also International school are private, all of them. International school are not more better than private or public school. I took example for Dara academy as good, cheap and respected school, with international teachers and bilingual classes

• Like 1

Be aware he's said he could go back to work and earn three month of the year.

In reality it's similar to use 28/28's

Yes but to be fair, what's the point in moving to Thailand and then go back 3 months every 6 months? Then he could stay in UK and do long holidays here instead. And doing the kids schooling in UK

Ask him that

took my gang from UK to thailand tried it for two years ,young daughter went from BBC english to strong thai english ,what education in thailand ,even if you pay ,teacher said worst school in england going be better than the best school in thailand ,try France ,paper works terrible once its done its OK ,kid in good school ,gang got work weather food better than the UK and house prices which are insane in the UK

...i could build a nice house...

No you cannot; that would be an illegal form of employment in Thailand. Don't you get it??

get what , so if i wanted to do a bit of d i y in my own house its an illegal form of employment. i dont really get posts like this are u just trying to be a prick for the sake of it , and rude too what is it with some people

Hire and oversee the project Yourself. Compare prices and you can build big enough house for a million.

There are options for schools like web schools,add.homeschooling etc. Not all Thai schools are rubbish. Life is getting harder in west.Most people are struggling to get by. Our kids will be even deeper in shit.Your kids could have good lives in Thailand too.

We only live once, follow your dreams. Nothing worst than being bitter old man,wondering how life could have been if...

• Like 2

I read the thread title and thinking.... come now man... don't wait until you are old and ugly.

But then I opened the thread and saw you have 2 kids. How disappointing.......

Stay in UK would be my advice.

Also.... sure there are a lot of members here who like to point fingers and dish out advice, but the fact is doing carpentry job in Thailand can get you in a lot of trouble.... especially now.

The most important part, however, is that UK has one of the best medical systems in the world. I am from Canada and even though I have money here I still find the hospitals expensive..... comparing to.... you know..... free

It's really strange that people always think that education and health care are free. They are NOT free.

They are actually very expensive. The fact that you don't get billed does not mean you do not pay.

The tax you pay is being used to pay the education and healthcare bills. Get it in to your heads people.

Healthcare and education is NOT FREE in the 'western world'.

I am not uptight or know it all, but I have more money than op saved up, live for free in my gf house and I am still super worried I don't have enough saved. Before I came to Thailand I had big dreams too, but soon they are crushed with reality. These facts are 100% true. schools are really bad in Thailand. Yes even good international schools are bad. My Canadian gf came from one of the top schools in bkk and her English is still unacceptable. Hospitals here are not that cheap or that great. It is very unsafe crossing the street and driving. Op mentioned buying a few bikes. Have some cash ready for hospital bills.

Edited by theguyfromanotherforum

I am not uptight or know it all, but I have more money than op saved up, live for free in my gf house and I am still super worried I don't have enough saved. Before I came to Thailand I had big dreams too, but soon they are crushed with reality. These facts are 100% true. schools are really bad in Thailand. Yes even good international schools are bad. My Canadian gf came from one of the top schools in bkk and her English is still unacceptable. Hospitals here are not that cheap or that great. It is very unsafe crossing the street and driving. Op mentioned buying a few bikes. Have some cash ready for hospital bills.

I think your comment that International schools in Bangkok are bad is quite unfair. Perhaps based only on your GF's experience. My son attended RIS in Bangkok for 13 years and although expensive I, as well as many other parents, were very pleased with the school and highly recommend it to others. Perhaps you could expand on what is so bad about them, other then their high costs?

»...with schooling most important.«

From what you, OP Boris77, writes, some 4 million baht in savings, that does not sound like enough for International School for 1, maybe 2 kids, if you don’t have a good going income. International Schools normally starts at around 400,000 baht in annual tuition fee, however there use to be discount for the 2nd child.

You don’t say where in Thailand you plan to settle, but if the IS shall include boarding then the fee may go further up – some IS charge from 600k to 1 million.

Another possibility is an English Program School, but that may have to be checked carefully as there seems to huge difference in quality from what various posters have told in TV-forum. In some areas there are also British style schools (don’t know if I express it right) that follows the British curriculum, but priced price more to the level of EPS, may be worth considering if you should move back. I use an EPS for my 9-year-old half-Thai daughter, and we are very satisfied – the school has a number of British teachers, whilst some other EPS use Filipinos – the fees are a lot more affordable than IS. I try to compare “our” EPS with the schools in my homeland, and I can follow your statement »believe me the schools in the uk are not as great as people think,« I feel that “our” school is better than many in my homeland.

You say 1.5 to 2 million for building a house. That will depend of where in Thailand and what you expect, how much you can get for that money – or how many square meters. Up north you can build for around 10k baht a sqm. but that is not up to “European standard”. Today you shall rather expect around 15k baht per sqm. for a “normal” house. I have a British friend who builds a house up an Isaan village about 5 years ago, planned all-in-all to be 1 million baht for around 100 sgm. The deal with construction team was a fixed price for labor – actually sounded very cheap (cannot remember exact number) – and they should buy all materials themselves. It became a nice house, but not anything special, and the bill ended up with 2 million baht. I also recently build a house in Thailand, so I have little experience. What I will say is: be careful not to plan too “big”, it may end up cost more than expected when you make the finishing and drain your reserve savings.

There are lot of things to consider and have in mind when moving, especially with a family, but I can see from your later posts that you have been considering the ongoing cash flow situation, either by working in Britain or within construction in Thailand – quite a lot going on at Samui and many up-end constructions. With an income in the area of a million baht a year you can live Okay here, including some EP or like school fees, but not IS. You will need some cash in deposit, both 400k for you Visa extension, which is better to keep in a bank than proofing income if you don’t have a steady work, and always some extra cash in a “rainy day account”. You also need a health insurance that easily can cost 50k and up per year. In general Thailand has become more expensive, but that varies a bit from area to area and of course depending of life-style.

If you think I can help with further information, please feel free to ask (or PM). I wish you good luck with your plan.smile.png

Edit: typo

Edited by khunPer
  • Like 1

Hey Boris, I understand your feeling, let me explain my story. I met my Thai's GF in USA, I hadn't been to Thailand before. Once she was done studying her master there, she decided to go back to Thailand because it's where her family lives. I gave a try and followed her there, we lived in BKK for 12 months.
Then, she got pregnant and we moved to Brussels(I am Belgian) because this is the right thing to do. Just a couple weeks ago my GF told me that our life was much better here for our daughter and told me there is no way that we go back to Thailand with a kid because the education's so bad. We don't excluse any possibility to go back to live there when our daughter will get her high school degree.
Your situation may be a bit different of mine because we're much younger than you thus I'll be only 40 yo by the time she's done with high school so I ain't gonna move there so old.
The only way to move to Thailand is to be sure that you're able to work legally and you can pay the international school for the next 12 years! in other word, you can't move to Thailand with your saving.

But from what I've read so far, your mind is already set to move to Thailand no matter what people are gonna tell you, so just give a try for a year, don't start to buy a house, just rent a house, put your kids in a Thai school ( don't put them in international school, give a real try of what is gonna be your life there because in the long run you won't be able to pay it).
By the way you said that you wanted to move to Thailand but what about your wife ? Is she ok with that ? She may not want to loose her job in UK.

Dear Boris,

Yes that is true, also International school are private, all of them. International school are not more better than private or public school. I took example for Dara academy as good, cheap and respected school, with international teachers and bilingual classes
I am sorry, but that is not what you said. You said that Dara Academy is an international school, which it isn't. That is just a fact. As for you claiming that public and private schools here in Thailand are just as good as the international ones, well, that is an opinion... An opinion that the vast majority of people familiar with the education system here are going to disagree with you on. Edited by inbangkok

Hey Boris, I understand your feeling, let me explain my story. I met my Thai's GF in USA, I hadn't been to Thailand before. Once she was done studying her master there, she decided to go back to Thailand because it's where her family lives. I gave a try and followed her there, we lived in BKK for 12 months.

Then, she got pregnant and we moved to Brussels(I am Belgian) because this is the right thing to do. Just a couple weeks ago my GF told me that our life was much better here for our daughter and told me there is no way that we go back to Thailand with a kid because the education's so bad. We don't excluse any possibility to go back to live there when our daughter will get her high school degree.

Your situation may be a bit different of mine because we're much younger than you thus I'll be only 40 yo by the time she's done with high school so I ain't gonna move there so old.

The only way to move to Thailand is to be sure that you're able to work legally and you can pay the international school for the next 12 years! in other word, you can't move to Thailand with your saving.

But from what I've read so far, your mind is already set to move to Thailand no matter what people are gonna tell you, so just give a try for a year, don't start to buy a house, just rent a house, put your kids in a Thai school ( don't put them in international school, give a real try of what is gonna be your life there because in the long run you won't be able to pay it).

By the way you said that you wanted to move to Thailand but what about your wife ? Is she ok with that ? She may not want to loose her job in UK.

If the education system was so bad in Thailand how did your G/F who you met in USA learn enough in Thailand that she was able to go to USA and attend University to get her masters? I know a few Thai who traveld to USA to attend University after attending school here ,both speak perfect english after studying in USA after 5 years.

Also met an ex-USA serviceman who was using his GI Bill to go to University here . Said in USA the money he got would only cover part of his total bill. Here it would pay everything with money left over for living here.

Edited by Tony125

It sounds as if you will continue working in the UK for 6 out of nine months to keep your income up. this is workable but hard on you and your family emotionally wise. If the business in Thailand works out you could then come to Thailand permanently. I have seen some good family businesses in Thailand but usually run by muti family members. Other businesses seem to thrive with Laos labor. I have witnessed many small businesses open and close within a few months.

Sorry if this has been said already as I only read the 1st page.

Boris if I were you I would stay put.

You obviously make good money & while the vacation spot Thailand looks good...

you will find living here off your savings most of which you plan to spend right off will leave you

sorry later imho.

Your in your prime earning years now & doing well. You have 2 kids to think of &

now have a life where your all together.

Do not trade that for what appears better but with no real future prospects.

You say you can leave them & go make $$$ back home?

That is not a life.

You said trade for a more outdoor life? This is not Hawaii. Much of the year is too hot for a real outdoor life.

But mainly your kids will likely have a more well rounded outlook raised there in a complete family than here in a splintered family.

If your doing well vacation here a month or so a year. Let your wife & kids come & keep contact with her family.

But at 36? To give up your best earning years for what you may think is an easy life...I think you will reget it.

You or your wife will work quite hard here to earn a tiny fraction of what you earn there.

Yes it goes further here IF your satisifed with less quality too.If you compare equal quality of anything you & your kids are now experiencing whether that be schools or goods you will find prices exactly the same or higher.

Good luck with what you decide but please leave your return options open if you do move here.

Dont blow your life savings the first year getting set up. Because if it goes pear shape you & yours will go back to your other home not having anywhere near what you have now

Good Luck

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

If the education system was so bad in Thailand how did your G/F who you met in USA learn enough in Thailand that she was able to go to USA and attend University to get her masters?
Not many do. The majority opt for doing their Masters in the UK where it only takes a year (instead of two) and where the GRE/high GPA are not required for admittance to many programs. His GF sounds like the exception, rather than the rule.

The vast majority of time I talk to a Thai person who has a Masters from the UK, I ask out of curiosity why they did not apply to any programs in the US. They almost always answer the same. It takes too long in America and it too difficult to gain entry . Many even tell me they would have preferred to study in the US, but there is no way they would have gotten accepted anywhere with a GPA below 3.0 and no realistic way they would be able to pull a decent score on the GRE.

Edited by inbangkok
  • Like 1

My guess is most of the people telling you to stay in the UK are old.

Times have changed and school isn't important any more.

Home school them. Apart from general knowledge in a few different subjects math and language (English) along with maybe physics are the only important ones.

Teach them about sales and marketing too, which you will learn yourself as you build your online business, and your kids will be running their own companies like everyone else will in a few years when the machines take over (unless everyone wants to end up on the dole).

• Like 2

Home school them. Apart from general knowledge in a few different subjects math and language (English) along with maybe physics are the only important ones.

Teach them about sales and marketing too, which you will learn yourself as you build your online business, and your kids will be running their own companies like everyone else will in a few years when the machines take over (unless everyone wants to end up on the dole).

I am not old but having raised 4 kids I have a good idea of what it costs.

He cannot go without family health insurance for 1 thing as the $$$ he said he has is not near enough to self insure when you have kids involved...& even that single item will be a big burden on the finances he said he has.

Edited by mania

If the education system was so bad in Thailand how did your G/F who you met in USA learn enough in Thailand that she was able to go to USA and attend University to get her masters? I know a few Thai who traveld to USA to attend University after attending school here ,both speak perfect english after studying in USA after 5 years.

Also met an ex-USA serviceman who was using his GI Bill to go to University here . Said in USA the money he got would only cover part of his total bill. Here it would pay everything with money left over for living here.

Hi Tony125,

I agreed with you, many Thai go to study abroad and speak perfectly English (not like me ;)) but can you say this is the norm ? Most of them come from rich family.

I believe it's better to be in Europe when you aren't rich and I am not. Education isn't just about the level of the school, it's beyond that.

Just saying what I heard around me, You may know better than me, I didn't follow the Thai education system so what I am saying can be wrong!

To answer your question: She moved out of Thailand before getting to the university and she barely passed it the first year then it got better, anyway it isn't my story so E.O.C.

I am not old but having raised 4 kids I have a good idea of what it costs.

He cannot go without family health insurance for 1 thing as the $$$ he siad he has is not near enough to self insure when you have kids involved...& even that single item will be a big burden on the finances he said he has.

I wasn't really referring to health insurance, but more to do with schooling.

I have pretty decent grades, including a few highers. Also lots of technical qualifications during my time in the air force.

I make more money now than I did after 5 years as an aircraft tech and I believe it's simply down to having a basic grasp of English and the ability to think analytically, plus everything else I've taught myself in the last few years.

Stuff like geography and history are important, but I can't believe people still pay for international schools when they could just home school their kids.

Please note: this advice doesn't apply if they want to be an engineer, lawyer, doctor, etc.

• Like 1

I understand your emotions, to an extent. YES, get away and explore Thailand!!! Start over, mentally re-charge, enjoy the cheap lifestyle, and take in the culture. Expose your kids to another language and people. So, I say go to Thailand. However, yes there is a BUT, I would not buy a house and go for only a few months. Less would be better, but stay as long as you can before your gut really knows what you think is the best plan. I would not go in March up north since pollution. I would not go from October-January, too nice.....I would go around September or wait until next May and get a better sense of the heat, rain, and, well, heat. It might be tough on the kids. It might be easier. anyhow, I have a feeling that after a month or two you will decide to stay in UK. Thailand is great, but the mind has ways of making things much more perfect than they are. Then reality sets in.............

• Like 1

I am sorry, but that is not what you said. You said that Dara Academy is an international school, which it isn't. That is just a fact. As for you claiming that public and private schools here in Thailand are just as good as the international ones, well, that is an opinion... An opinion that the vast majority of people familiar with the education system here are going to disagree with you on.

no problem, we are all little lost in translation. Anyway, Im sure that one british carpenter wouldn't send their kids to most expansive school in UK, because he couldn't afford it. Anyway I dont see point in favouring international or private school. that is just not true that if you pay more you will get more. Probably you are old person if you think like that

• Like 1