Looking to buy oven.

mcyachty

Hello,

My wife likes to bake and our condo like many does not have an oven. I have looked at various portable ones that are about the size of a big microwave. Prices vary from 2,000 Baht to over 40,000 baht.

I am looking for anyone who has bought one of these and if they can share their experience.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

You mean a small electric one ?

Got one will have to check brand , but they are no way as good as a mains oven gas or electric back home. Not very good for cakes or anything that needs to rise and everything needs to be cooked for longer and at a higher temp than normal, which obviously means burnt top of food is a risk.

We bought one at Makro that is convection...+ a spit.....big enough for a turkey or ham if we wanted....rarely use the convection part...have baked with it an it does quite nicely.....can use upper or lower heat or both.....it's been so handy we went without a microwave for a long time actually not really missing it....cost was 3-4000bt....has the pull out cleaning tray which is helpful....great for sourdough toast ....

Don't spent a lot of money on the programmable ones. I bought a fancy one and it has been a headache. Side fan convection = uneven cooking. You just need a good sized convection oven that will hold a full casserole dish. Set the temp, and walk away. I see plenty to chose from in the malls.

• Like 1

I have a combo fan convection/microwave oven that works well enough. They take a bit of getting used to but are quite suitable for a smaller kitchen as they just occupy the space of a regular microwave. Maximum temperature is something to check before purchase as some only do 200 degrees. Obviously a large turkey wont fit into it but I do 1kg loaves of bread in mine without any trouble. I've seen various makes and models for between 5 and 12k.

We bought the Zanussi from Robinsons, it worked so well that we bought a second one for the MIL's house, about 3,400 baht. The first one gets used daily and is still going strong after two years.

EDIT: I personally don't like the build quality of the House Worth brand (sharp metal edges etc), it's Chinese and some of the reports suggest it's not very reliable, others however have said good things about it.

Edited by chiang mai

This shows sizing....pretty servicable oven....cooking temps seem dialed in pretty well.....it comes with one rack + other item - spit - full size pan and a couple of other things...if you really want to bake something of this size would be good....I also looked at other brands but did not care for a lot of the build qualities of them.....after 2 years of constant use we're glad we chose this one.....

post-114384-0-86472100-1407810934_thumb.

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Like 1

We bought a Toshiba VF Inverter. I regret it. It is a combined microwave and some sort of induction (or something...there is no element) oven.

It microwaves ok, it bakes, but unevenly..one side gets brown first and so you have to stop it and turn your food around.

I think we would have been better off with a standard microwave and a seperate convection oven.

It was 10 000 at Power Plus.

• Like 1

I have one like the poster above has, bought at Makro for about 3000 baht. I bake bread and cakes mostly in it. The other oven we use is this round convection one. I bake chicken, pork, fish and potatoes in it. It is about 7 years old and paid a 1000 baht for it at Tesco, love it, best 1000 baht I spent here in Thailand. I also have a gas stove with a built in oven, but you have to adjust the flame to get the temp correct. Never use it.

482899e3-8088-4aa5-b6f3-11685142de1e_400

My wifes lamb shank in one of these beats any i've tasted in a restaurant!:)

We bought a Toshiba VF Inverter. I regret it. It is a combined microwave and some sort of induction (or something...there is no element) oven.

It microwaves ok, it bakes, but unevenly..one side gets brown first and so you have to stop it and turn your food around.

I think we would have been better off with a standard microwave and a seperate convection oven.

My combo microwave/fan convection oven does not have this problem. It was half the price too. Doesn't yours have a revolving plate to prevent uneven cooking?

I have one like the poster above has, bought at Makro for about 3000 baht. I bake bread and cakes mostly in it. The other oven we use is this round convection one. I bake chicken, pork, fish and potatoes in it. It is about 7 years old and paid a 1000 baht for it at Tesco, love it, best 1000 baht I spent here in Thailand. I also have a gas stove with a built in oven, but you have to adjust the flame to get the temp correct. Never use it.

My wifes lamb shank in one of these beats any i've tasted in a restaurant!smile.png

What temp. for lamb shanks? My Thai lady cooks them in a saucepan on the stove with red wine etc, absolutely delicious.

OP. Are you 18 or over ? If the answer is yes. Stop waiting for someone to hold your hand and just go and buy a oven.

If you wherr back in your country of birth would you be posting things like this ? No... so why do it here

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

OP. Are you 18 or over ? If the answer is yes. Stop waiting for someone to hold your hand and just go and buy a oven.

If you wherr back in your country of birth would you be posting things like this ? No... so why do it here

It appears as though he has done some ground work and is asking advice due to the different options he has seen....there's not much in the way of "consumer reports" here....don't see the harm in asking....maybe he's buffalo'd -> old American phrase as well....

That's the beauty of the written word. I can learn from the experiences of others.

Or I can stumble through life like the cavemen did. But they didn't live very well, or very long.

Imagine how much longer their lives would have been had someone posted a thread asking where the sabre tooth tigers did their hunting....

• Like 2

My combo microwave/fan convection oven does not have this problem. It was half the price too. Doesn't yours have a revolving plate to prevent uneven cooking?

No turnatable. For microwave, take the steel tray out and place container of food on the floor of the cavity.

I don't know how it bakes and grills. But it does brown chicken and grills toast. No element though.

Now I really regret. Damn thing.

OP....I was kidding. The Toshiba Inverter Oven is a great piece of kitchen equipment.......I have one for sale...only 8000, near new, worth 10 000.

No turnatable. For microwave, take the steel tray out and place container of food on the floor of the cavity.

I don't know how it bakes and grills. But it does brown chicken and grills toast. No element though.

An unusual design. I dont think I've ever seen one.

My wifes lamb shank in one of these beats any i've tasted in a restaurant!smile.png

What temp. for lamb shanks? My Thai lady cooks them in a saucepan on the stove with red wine etc, absolutely delicious.

180 to 200 degrees.

Advisable to cook them in pairs where possible to ensure you have sufficient fat for the potatoes.

HTH

Edited by evadgib

I bought a cheap one and later an expensive one.

Used both on full heat and both died fast.....

Wonder if there is something wrong with your current / electrical supply - guessing you had them in the same location....

A very high percent of the time ours is on full throttle.......and doing well.....

Edited by pgrahmm

180 to 200 degrees.

Advisable to cook them in pairs where possible to ensure you have sufficient fat for the potatoes.

HTH

These things cook surprisingly well, ....not just lamb.... but any roast and potatoes! ! .... Cakes too thumbsup.gif

For the money a good deal!

The larger table top ovens (toaster oven types) ....are not so good for doing small amounts of cooking... wink.png

180 to 200 degrees.

HTH

These things cook surprisingly well, ....not just lamb.... but any roast and potatoes! ! .... Cakes too thumbsup.gif

For the money a good deal!

The larger table top ovens (toaster oven types) ....are not so good for doing small amounts of cooking... wink.png

They make two sizes. Small, great for dinner for two or toasting two slices of bread.

We bought one from Macro. We simply bought the biggest they had and appeared to be well built. Cost about 6000 and works great. The wife just finished baking her birthday cake in it tonight and did a great job. We do roasts and bake a lot of cakes and other things regularly and never a problem with uneven heat or anything else. I think the brand name is House Worth. Had for close to a year and use a lot as I said never a problem.

I have a combo fan convection/microwave oven that works well enough. They take a bit of getting used to but are quite suitable for a smaller kitchen as they just occupy the space of a regular microwave. Maximum temperature is something to check before purchase as some only do 200 degrees. Obviously a large turkey wont fit into it but I do 1kg loaves of bread in mine without any trouble. I've seen various makes and models for between 5 and 12k.

I bought one of those and regretted it ever since.

Buy the biggest oven that you can fit in your kitchen, AND a m'wave. The ones that grill as well are good.

Normal domestic fan-forced ovens are about 10,000 baht. Proper baking will require good heat retention and decent pre-heating abilities, and the bigger the space inside the thing the better. Then you can roast all sorts of things, and buy a small digital stopwatch as the timer rather than rely on the unit's in-built thingo. Small gimmicky things are rubbish in comparison. The more powerand size the better. Get a 2kg slab of pork belly for around 260 baht, rub it with smashed garlic and salt and pepper and stuff, submerge it in vegetable oil in a roasting pan and alfoil it over, put that sucker in at about 110 degrees celsius for about 5 hours, let it cool, cut it, roast it skin down again at 250 for about 8 minutes, you will love your proper oven.....

I bought one of those and regretted it ever since.

Why is that? Mine is good.

Make sure you get one with an oven door that has a good seal, A lot of the cheaper ones have a gap between the door and casing.

I have a small SEVERIN which works fine if you can get used to its idiosyncrasies. Cost was about 6000b.

Would need a bigger one if regularly cooking for lots of people but for 2 people it works great.