Could not convert 30 waiver to Retirement visa at Chonburi w/o address guarantee

I went to Chonburi Immigration today to attempt to convert my 30 day visa waiver to an O-A retirement visa.

I was told that I needed address verification. I told her I was staying at Dusit Thani. She asked how long I planed to stay here, I said regularly, but I travel a lot for consulting. She said it would need to be at least a 6 months lease. I'm not planning to EVER stay for 6 months.

Any suggestions?

You wanted a conversion to a non-immigrant visa based on retirement.

You will indeed need proof of address, BKK immigration might do it with a letter from a hotel in BKK that you stay there. They also will want proof that the money in the bank came from abroad, if you use that method.

That you are consulting means that you are (illegally) working. That is not allowed without a work permit, unless it is abroad of course.

• Like 1

I fly out to do consulting. Back when I'm finished. The consulting is (mostly) in Hong Kong (where I have a work permit) and the US ((citizen).

Also: I use income, not banked money as I don't want to put money in a local bank.

Edited by moto77

You wanted a conversion to a non-immigrant visa based on retirement.

You will indeed need proof of address, BKK immigration might do it with a letter from a hotel in BKK that you stay there. They also will want proof that the money in the bank came from abroad, if you use that method.

When I went to apply in BKK, they told me that they couldn't do it only because I didn't have 15 days left on my stamp, but that everything else was ok. I happened to be in Chonburi, so I went there instead of BKK. I guess Chonburi is more strict?

My understanding was that I didn't need an address to do the waiver -> 90 day conversion, but that I needed it when I did the 90 day -> 1 year conversion.

Your adress is indeed the problem, as that determines which office you can use. For the conversion BKK should be fine, with some proof of addres and back-up letter from the hotel.

Ohhhh. I didn't know I had to use a specific office.

OK, I can try Bangkok again on Monday then. I'll just enjoy the weekend down here. The lady in BKK said, "just see me again when you get back and I will take care of this for you." I guess I should have listened.

So you think I should also get a letter from a hotel saying, "Mr. Moto is staying at our hotel"?

When you do the conversion you will get a 90 day entry and then can do your extension about 45 days or later after that.

If you need to leave before you do the extesnion you can get a re-entry permit to keep the 90 days valid and do the extension when you return,

I went to Chonburi Immigration today to attempt to convert my 30 day visa waiver to an O-A retirement visa.

You are, apparently, trying to convert your entry from a visa exempt entry to a non-imm O visa entry so that you would be eligible to apply for a retirement based extension of stay. Probably a good idea to understand what it is you're trying to do.

Presumably you already have the income affidavits from the US embassy. If you do this as a two-step process, you might need two original income letters, one for the non-imm o conversion and one for the retirement extension.

Depending where you get with this endeavor, make sure you have a re-entry permit or multiple entry, valid visa (not only an extension of stay). Otherwise you could find yourself back at square one ... which sounds like where you are stuck now anyway.

Edited by Suradit69

Presumably you already have the income affidavits from the US embassy. If you do this as a two-step process, you might need two original income letters, one for the non-imm o conversion and one for the retirement extension.

I respect the fact that you trying to set the OP up for success but original Income affidavits cost 50USD. I had recently converted my 30 day waiver in July at Jomtien Immigration and they only requested one original for the extension based on retirement. They apparently were ok with a copy for the 90 day visa.

Anyway, I suppose different IO's have different rules but I just wanted to share my experience at Jomtien and possible save the OP 50 bucks. I would call the lady at immigration he spoke to and clarify the original income affidavit requirement.

I was wondering about this too, whether for the Non O they would accept a copy of the original, reserving the original for the retirement extension or whether they would indeed require 2 originals.

The price that the UK Embassy charges for these will actually make it cheaper for me to get the Non O in Penang where a simple bank statement will do, even if it relates to a Malaysian account.

Edited by Pick of Penang

I respect the fact that you trying to set the OP up for success but original Income affidavits cost 50USD. I had recently converted my 30 day waiver in July at Jomtien Immigration and they only requested one original for the extension based on retirement. They apparently were ok with a copy for the 90 day visa.

Anyway, I suppose different IO's have different rules but I just wanted to share my experience at Jomtien and possible save the OP 50 bucks. I would call the lady at immigration he spoke to and clarify the original income affidavit requirement.

Thanks for the updates. I am headed into the BKK office now. I will take a copy of the income letter and see if they accept it.

Didn't get it again. She accepted the paperwork without the residence info and stamped the paper to come back SEP1. Ha. I'm flying out next week for work in the US, I can't wait 15 days. Seems like they always come with some new issue.

Well three days wasted in immigration is enough. I think I'm giving up on this fool's errand. It doesn't appear that they are targeting people with my travel patterns for 30-day waiver denials so I will just continue to use those. I just wanted the flexibility to stay longer than 30 days sometimes without hassles, but I don't mind that much taking a trip outside the country after 30 days to visit elsewhere that much, so I guess I'll stick with what I've been doing.

Where are you going to. Outside Asia it might be possible to get a mutiple non-O baed on retirement and showing enough funds. Gives you more flexibility and security you will be allowed to enter Thailand again.

And you can aways apply for an extension of stay from a single non-O (or multiple of course) without the 15 day waiting period. As long as it is withn the last 45 days of your stay.

Didn't get it again. She accepted the paperwork without the residence info and stamped the paper to come back SEP1. Ha. I'm flying out next week for work in the US, I can't wait 15 days. Seems like they always come with some new issue.

Well three days wasted in immigration is enough. I think I'm giving up on this fool's errand. It doesn't appear that they are targeting people with my travel patterns for 30-day waiver denials so I will just continue to use those. I just wanted the flexibility to stay longer than 30 days sometimes without hassles, but I don't mind that much taking a trip outside the country after 30 days to visit elsewhere that much, so I guess I'll stick with what I've been doing.

I would go back just before you leave to see if is ready yet. They say 15 days but it probably will be done long before that. If it is ready then get a single re-entry permit so you can do your extension when your return.

I would go back just before you leave to see if is ready yet. They say 15 days but it probably will be done long before that. If it is ready then get a single re-entry permit so you can do your extension when your return.

Too late. When I said I couldn't make it, she gave me the paperwork back.