Thai Excise Department eyes 111 items of soft drink for tax

webfact

Thus incentivizing beer & booze?  'Gonna have to pay an excise tax anyway, why limit yourself to soft drinks...    The tax virus has certainly hit Thailand.  All downhill now.  'Best days behind it.

Too much television's bad for you isn't it?  I think TVs should have little deposit boxes built into them, so you have to drop a baht or two (or ten) in the slot every 15 or 30 mins to be able to keep watching.  You could call it an excise tax on entertainment.  'And a new employment gig for somebody to come around every month and collect.  Maybe do the same with internet modems & cable boxes!   Woohoo!!

Think you are right , all downhill from now, sad but true.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tax the taxmakers, I say. As if the rampant inflation wasn't enough.

I have a better solution for lawmakers.  Allow them to be in session just one day,,,,,about every five years...   (Oh, and pay them the national average wage - only for that one day of course.  And THAT will allow them to be gainfully employed in a full-time job somewhere - else - so no taxpayer-provided pension benefits, perks,  etc., needed...   OK, ok, let 'em have mileage to & from their one-day-every-fifth-year sessions....I'm not heartless.)

I would say all of these are harmful to health!

Sugar water should be taxed 1,000% percent.

It is harmful to human.

Thus the Nanny State hath spoken.

Maybe for some poor people a cold 20 baht drink is one of the few pleasures in life they can afford from time to time. They probably face far worse health hazards than sugar water.

snap-2014-04-01-at-21-56-52.jpg?w=529&h= Sugar water no good!! Farang knows what's best for you.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

I've glad we have so many advocates helping to protect us against the evils of sugar, salt, alcohol, tobacco, etc.; too bad we don't have many advocates to protect us against those who just want to increase tax revenue.

• Like 2

Good move! The softdrinks are really harmful for the health. Maybe not today but when getting older the sugar turns to fat in the body. The sugar is similar to heroine to try to stop with if you are addicted. And that happens very quick.

It is easyer to stop smoking. Or get rid of alcoholism.

Thai´s are drinking way to much sweet drinks and the problem will occur in 10-15 years with more fat and sick people.

Edited by Captor

Yes finally. Makes me sick to see how many beauty and fitness drinks are actually totally unhealthy... maybe next should be those Brands and Scotch super overprized placebo drinks...

you can expand that to fitness yoghurts and muslis

YOu need an excise department license to have a fridge?

I have shopped all over the place--example in a Laos supermarket Coke was 2 baht cheaper stacked warm. fridge price up.  Not many in Thailand but it does occur here and there.  suppose this covers the tax./expenses.

I should think it's only to cover the electricity for cooling. Many places turn their drinks coolers off after closing.

This is not about whether a drink is healthy or not. It's TAX (money) and there is much more to come yet.

jb1

Amen Brother!!!

The next step toward First World status: over-regulation.  Nowadays in the US, if some kid opens up a lemonade stand for a couple of days, the authorities call out a SWAT team to close it down, the parents are cited or arrested for their kid operating a business without a business license, tax stamp, and clearances from various country departments including a Health Department review and permit  --  For serving lemonade out of a pitcher into a Dixie Cup for 10 cents.  I guess when the PTB want to completely kill the Thai entrepreneurial spirit, they'll start down "Regulation Road".   Better have a semi-adequate welfare system in place. 

This is not about whether a drink is healthy or not. It's TAX (money) and there is much more to come yet.

jb1

Amen Brother!!!

The next step toward First World status: over-regulation.  Nowadays in the US, if some kid opens up a lemonade stand for a couple of days, the authorities call out a SWAT team to close it down, the parents are cited or arrested for their kid operating a business without a business license, tax stamp, and clearances from various country departments including a Health Department review and permit  --  For serving lemonade out of a pitcher into a Dixie Cup for 10 cents.  I guess when the PTB want to completely kill the Thai entrepreneurial spirit, they'll start down "Regulation Road".   Better have a semi-adequate welfare system in place. 

"Better have a semi-adequate welfare system in place" you say.  No can do as that would consume the tax revenue being collected.  wink.png

• Like 1

jb1

Much MUCH more!  "Progressives" just LOVE this stuff!  'Can't get enough.   ...which is puzzling, because as taxes go, taxes like this aren't progressive, in terms of which income strata get hit hardest, at all.

Forget taxing the sweet soft drinks, and start taxing the booze to reduce the road deaths every year.

Booze already has a high excise tax applied....see this Link for an overview of the most recent alcohol excise tax increase late last year.  

Pick something else to advocate the taxing of....the govt would appreciate your tax revenue enhancement ideas.

Edited by Pib

Forget taxing the sweet soft drinks, and start taxing the booze to reduce the road deaths every year.

Booze already has a high excise tax applied....see this Link for an overview of the most recent alcohol excise tax increase late last year.  

Pick something else to advocate the taxing of....the govt would appreciate your tax revenue enhancement ideas.

Yes but obviously booze is not taxed high enough.. I think a 100% extra would bring down the road accidents plus checking if there is no illegal booze.  (so now that i got all the farang boozers up in arms ill have a good day)

Seriously booze is a problem and a health hazard and a hard drug, but people should be free to take it. They should just have more alcohol checks and be real firm with them. 20k fines and prison ect. Why bother responsible drinkers for the action of irresponsible drinkers. Plus get weed legal and alcohol consumption will go down its far safer and does far less harm. Tax that too to get good income. Even in the states they are talking about making it legal.

Booze does have a high tax placed upon it, but it is obviously no where near enough.

If a higher price was placed upon the stuff, then it would be more restricted by cost, which would reduce the road deaths and accidents.

Maybe, I am a minority, but I value life a hell of a lot more than my next can of Leo.

I cannot remember if too many road deaths around the world have been attributed to a can of Lemonade, but for sure an awful lot have been linked to booze.

• Like 1

An excise tax department is believable, but is there a real existing Food and Drug Administration, in the Land of Smiles? Such a administrative division is normally within the Department of Taxation, not Public Health & Safety. Enlighten me, please. Thank you wai2.gif

Booze does have a high tax placed upon it, but it is obviously no where near enough.

If a higher price was placed upon the stuff, then it would be more restricted by cost, which would reduce the road deaths and accidents.

Maybe, I am a minority, but I value life a hell of a lot more than my next can of Leo.

I cannot remember if too many road deaths around the world have been attributed to a can of Lemonade, but for sure an awful lot have been linked to booze.

A point well made.clap2.gifUnfortunately, it will be made on this forum,....exclusively whistling.gif   

Maybe just increase the excise tax on vehicles...make them too expensive to buy and drive.   Better tax bicycles also to be safe.  Taxes are a slippery slope and become addictive to bureaucrats & politicians--all for the betterment of the country.  

Edited by Pib

Thus incentivizing beer & booze?  'Gonna have to pay an excise tax anyway, why limit yourself to soft drinks...    The tax virus has certainly hit Thailand.  All downhill now.  'Best days behind it.

Too much television's bad for you isn't it?  I think TVs should have little deposit boxes built into them, so you have to drop a baht or two (or ten) in the slot every 15 or 30 mins to be able to keep watching.  You could call it an excise tax on entertainment.  'And a new employment gig for somebody to come around every month and collect.  Maybe do the same with internet modems & cable boxes!   Woohoo!!

I would assume alcohol is already taxed but maybe someone could tell me if I'm wrong.

You've just answered my question about tax on alcohol.

It does seem a shame that purple who drink responsibly have to pay more because some aren't.

I would assume alcohol is already taxed but maybe someone could tell me if I'm wrong.

Of course it is.

That would mean: Only the rich are allowed to drink quality things while the poor will get blind from the homebrew.

Great idea!

You've just answered my question about tax on alcohol.

It does seem a shame that purple who drink responsibly have to pay more because some aren't.

No: people who drink respondsible have to pay more because the government increased tax. Not because others......

Prohibition made the problems bigger and higher tax is just prohibition for the poor people only.