Crackdown on Bangkok taxi drivers who refuse to accept passengers

webfact

I prefer both the taxi drivers and the fares in Bangkok compared to the ones in my home country. And it's not often they refuse to drive me or don't turn on the meter

LOL. They refuse me about once a year, when I make my yearly trip to Bangkok.

How often they refuse you will depend on your location and time.

I have been living in Bangkok for 14+ years smile.png and been here since they started with taxi meter

As I said, it would depend on the time and location. I can't believe you have some kind of magic that immediately convinces taxi drivers to use their meters.

Try hanging out at the main tourist locations during peak traffic times and see how often you will be refused

I have no problem during the peak from Asok, Nana, Victory Monument or Silom.

You don't need any magic. 90 % turn on the meter when I sit down. The rest after telling the driver. The worst thing that can happen is that you have to take another cab.....

Edited by larsjohnsson

I prefer both the taxi drivers and the fares in Bangkok compared to the ones in my home country. And it's not often they refuse to drive me or don't turn on the meter

LOL. They refuse me about once a year, when I make my yearly trip to Bangkok.

How often they refuse you will depend on your location and time.

I have been living in Bangkok for 14+ years smile.png and been here since they started with taxi meter

As I said, it would depend on the time and location. I can't believe you have some kind of magic that immediately convinces taxi drivers to use their meters.

Try hanging out at the main tourist locations during peak traffic times and see how often you will be refused

Yesterday at 10:30am I was checking out of my hotel, the front desk asks if I needed a taxi (to Swampy), I told them yes as long as the driver uses the meter.

The doorman goes down to the street (Sukhumvit Rd, near Asoke interesection) and starts flagging down passing cabs. Each time he leans in to the driver, I presume asking to use the meter and to go to Swampy.

The first 3 guys must have refused, the 4th drives in, the tells me he wants 300 baht, I directed another doorman to take my bag out as he won't use the meter.

Next guy he flags down, drives in and away we go. I told him if needed to use the tollway and I'll pay, I don't think he spoke any English (fair enough) and just drove straight there without passing any tolls.

207 baht, I was more than happy and gave him all my coins I had left as a tip, probably about 60 or so baht.

The worst thing that can happen is that you have to take another cab.....

That's exactly what this thread is about. i.e. "the worst thing that can happen". This "worst thing" can be a considerable inconvenience for many.

Most of the foreigners in Bangkok are passing through. You live in Bangkok and know the ropes and you seem to get by 90% of the time, although as a Bangkok resident I suspect most of your 90% success rate is not from main tourist locations, hotels, or MBK, Central, Paragon etc.

You're talking about this like there isn't a problem. Most people here agree that it's a big problem.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

<deleted> happened with this crackdown?

the situation as it is in bkk now seems to be worse than ever. it is almost impossible to get a taxi on lower sukhumvit road at any time of the day. the drivers refuse to turn on their meters and ask for 200-300 baht even for the shortest distances.

the one who took us from the airport to sukhumvit wanted to charge additional 100b for the bags!!!

my friend took a taxi from the official airport taxi stand and while driving already the guy refused to turn the meter on and asked for 600 baht instead. "meter no working", he said. after my friend told the driver to stop and let him out he turned the meter on....

this is nuts!

Plain clothes soldiers eh?

Well if nothing else this guarantees that if you are Thai, under 40, have short hair and look fit you will get picked up!

By a taxi that is......

Edited by JAG