how much cash to enter without a visa?

Would 15,000 baht in cash be enough as proof to support myself during my stay in Thailand?

Edit: Changed 1500 to 15,000 on assumption that is what was meant.

Edited by ubonjoe
see edit comment

I haven't seen any figures yet by Thai Immigration & might be on a person to person case.

I would say minimum 10,000 baht in the pocket...

and if one is on a succession of many tourist visas maybe having photocopies of funds in bank account might be helpful.

Topic is about visa exempt entries not tourist visas. Please do not confuse the 2.

For a true tourist visa entry the requirement is 20,000 baht.

• Like 1

Sorry to hijack this thread but with VEE the requirement is 10,000THB but is this necessarily required to be in THB or can it be (partly) in another major currency such as EUR or GBP? Does anyone have any experience of this especially post Aug 12 ?

Thanks for your help - I will only be visiting for a short time and the forex rates here for THB are horrific so I'd really rather not change too many EUR into THB esp when hotel costs are pre-paid :)

Sorry to hijack this thread but with VEE the requirement is 10,000THB but is this necessarily required to be in THB or can it be (partly) in another major currency such as EUR or GBP? Does anyone have any experience of this especially post Aug 12 ?

Thanks for your help - I will only be visiting for a short time and the forex rates here for THB are horrific so I'd really rather not change too many EUR into THB esp when hotel costs are pre-paid smile.png

the chance they gonna ask you any proof at the airport are quite slim.

Especially if you come from UK, and its your first visit,  you just stay for short term.

So dont worry... these last weeks we got too much noise for nothing....thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

It can be in THB or equivalent foreign cash. Show the IO a wad of Euros  IF ASKED, and you will be fine.

Just take care about Thai USD and Euros probably are ok but some strange foreign cash maybe will get you in trouble, as another psot with argentinian peso

I have never been asked about funds by anyone at the airport.

I used to carry about 2 or 3000 baht maximum. I assume a credit card would be more than useful back up.

Probably depends on your appearance, which would be the case in most countries. If you appear scruffy and carrying a backpack, your financial resources might, rightly or wrongly, seem more of a concern.

I recall one time entering the UK and sailing through immigrations as usual, but the girl behind me looked like she was leftover from some hippie revival. She was getting an extensive grilling from the officer who looked anything but pleased. I would guess that's common with immigrations everywhere.

Unless you look like an 'undesirable' in overall manner and appearance, with inappropriate clothing etc., you are unlikely to be asked. You should have a booked flight out of Thailand within the 30 day period to reduce suspicion. Of course you won't even be allowed to board the flight to Thailand without an outgoing ticket, (unless you have a long-term visa, proof of funds etc)

Unless you look like an 'undesirable' in overall manner and appearance, with inappropriate clothing etc., you are unlikely to be asked. You should have a booked flight out of Thailand within the 30 day period to reduce suspicion. Of course you won't even be allowed to board the flight to Thailand without an outgoing ticket, (unless you have a long-term visa, proof of funds etc)

I do not think that is true, I have been to Thailand many times without a return ticket, purely because I was not 100% sure on when I wanted to return, maybe 10 days, maybe 3 weeks?

• Like 1

in the transit zone ATM's are also there if needed  , even ATM who gives euro / dollar / pounds by creditcard or foreign debet cards

Where are they? I have never seen any at Suvarnabhumi on my way in to the Kingdom. I also asked this question before and the replies were that there aren't any airside. Someone did say there was an SCB ATM that gave EUR, GBP and USD but couldn't be specific about it.

It depend on how long you want to stay. I have never been asked how much money I have. But they ask people from some countries like Philippines they only get a month visa if they can show 10 000 in cash. But if you really want to stay here for sometime why take the risk with only 15000 Baht. You need at least 700 Baht a day for a simple decent hotel room.

Normally you are not asked to show money (or a ticket out, only airlines normally check that) but with the crackdown on In-Out border runners suspected of working illegally in Thailand it is now sometimes asked as it gives immigration a valid reason to deny someone entry without further discussion. 

So in most circumstances one does not need to worry.

• Like 1

The requirement is either 10000 baht per person, 20000 baht per family.  If you intend to live for 30 days on 1500 baht, what park are you going to sleep in?

The last sentence is an example why so many comment about the rudeness of posts. I'm not perfect, but I try to think before being uncivil in my replies.

If this were a face to face conversation with the OP, I wonder what response would be forthcoming.

in the transit zone ATM's are also there if needed  , even ATM who gives euro / dollar / pounds by creditcard or foreign debet cards

Where are they? I have never seen any at Suvarnabhumi on my way in to the Kingdom. I also asked this question before and the replies were that there aren't any airside. Someone did say there was an SCB ATM that gave EUR, GBP and USD but couldn't be specific about it.

Also not many people seem to know them , i know at least 1 from SCB who accept only FOREIGN cards , it is where al the shops are i think they call it concourse on the crospoint for all the A B C D E  cooridors , i think beside the siam bank counter , as i changed the crispy new100  dollars  to small ones on my way to Cambodia , I can walk straight to it , but explaining difficult

BTW ;   OUT or IN is same on airside    thumbsup.gif  (out= after immigr. IN= before UIMigration so the place where they stand is same !!

Under a quote from another exeption knowledge member ;

"The one I have used is at the SCB exchange desk in the middle of duty free heading for ABC gates.  I think there are also machines at the other SCB exchange desks as well."

Also not many people seem to know them , i know at least 1 from SCB who accept only FOREIGN cards , it is where al the shops are i think they call it concourse on the crospoint for all the A B C D E  cooridors , i think beside the siam bank counter , as i changed the crispy new100  dollars  to small ones on my way to Cambodia , I can walk straight to it , but explaining difficult

BTW ;   OUT or IN is same on airside    thumbsup.gif  (out= after immigr. IN= before UIMigration so the place where they stand is same !! 

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/653758-how-get-us-dollar-in-suvanapum-airportatm/ more Thaivisa members know it ........... ofcours not the "Swampy newbies"clap2.gif clap2.gif whistling.gif

[attachment=279496:01bkkforex-jpg.jpg]

"The one I have used is at the SCB exchange desk in the middle of duty free heading for ABC gates.  I think there are also machines at the other SCB exchange desks as well."

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

If you have to ask, then I doubt you have enough.

That's a very unhelpfull and judgemental reply to the OP.

Well said. Judgement comes easy to those with an empty toolbox. Edited by Benmart
  • Like 1

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/653758-how-get-us-dollar-in-suvanapum-airportatm/ more Thaivisa members know it ........... ofcours not the "Swampy newbies"clap2.gif clap2.gif whistling.gif

attachicon.gif01bkkforex-jpg.jpg

Ok then so, at the risk of being ridiculed here for being so dumb, please can you try to explain to me how to get to an ATM from an aircraft when I am on my way in to the country and before clearing immigration?

I was not aware that you could go to the departure area from the arival area before you go to the immigration desks.

Didn't know they ever check (or that there was this sort of requirement). There's a place on the 'entry card' which asks for your annual income. Perhaps that's what they use for their 'red flag'. Of course, they can't be sure that you're honest in answering that question. smile.png 

attachicon.gif01bkkforex-jpg.jpg

Ok then so, at the risk of being ridiculed here for being so dumb, please can you try to explain to me how to get to an ATM from an aircraft when I am on my way in to the country and before clearing immigration?

I was not aware that you could go to the departure area from the arival area before you go to the immigration desks.

Coming from an Airplaine you have to go to the taxs free shops there you can find those ATM ' who give you those crispy $$$ (or others western money )

leaving  TO airplaine it is in the taks free shops area on the crossing to different gates  A B C D E  , the Purple colour Atm and  Bank Counters .

This all in the airside zone .... also called transit zone .

I must say i only took out those Atm when leaving Thailand to Cambodia , not by coming in , but once you are in the airside you must be able to reach it ..... good luck .... dont get lost  !!

I am not the only one who could find it as you could read in the other poster Thaivisa Topic

• Like 1