Criminal record check?

I'm thinking about applying for a Thai retirement visa. I'm 59, from the USA and easily qualify for income and pension requirements. However, I do have Disturbing the Peace and DUI misdemeanors on my record? Do you think I will still be accepted for a retirement visa??

Thanks for any info.

Edited by burkmere

Thx...but how would I go about this to provide for me living in Thailand in retirement indefinitely? Is it possible?

A criminal records check, medical check and bank balance is only required for the O-A long stay (retirement) visa issued in your home country, in this case the US. You can go to Thailand using a 90 day non immingant "O" visa and complete the recessory paperwork there. There is no requirement for a criminal records or medical ckeck up. There is a 800,000 BHT bank balance requirement though. Thailand Immigration would provide up with a a one year retirement extension of stay.

Thx...but how would I go about this to provide for me living in Thailand in retirement indefinitely? Is it possible?

A criminal records check, medical check and bank balance is only required for the O-A long stay (retirement) visa issued in your home country, in this case the US. You can go to Thailand using a 90 day non immingant "O" visa and complete the recessory paperwork there. There is no requirement for a criminal records or medical ckeck up. There is a 800,000 BHT bank balance requirement though. Thailand Immigration would provide up with a a one year retirement extension of stay.

So, I could get a one year extension with this kind of visa indefinitely and not have to worry about two "minor" misdemeanors on my record?? Thx

for response.

Simple method:

1. Enter on an ordinary Tourist visa,

2. Make an appointment at the ACS at the US Embassy and have the income verification affidavit notarized,

3. Rent a condo or house with a signed lease,

4. Apply at Immigration in the province of residence to convert the tourist visa to a Non-Immigrant O visa,

5. If your pension/other income does not fully meet the financial requirements, open a bank account and deposit enough to make up the shortfall,

6. Apply at immigration for a one year extension of your new Non-immigrant O visa,

7. If the possibility of leaving Thailand at any point during the year exists, then also obtain a re-entry permit, either a single or a multiple entry.

No medical or police certificate is required when following this route.

This is exactly the course that I followed when I came here just over 2 years ago, and I had my Non-immigrant visa and long term extension in hand less than a month after I arrived.

A good written guide, which includes links to the necessary forms, can be found at http://www.wpcoe.com/visa/

• Like 1

Taken from the Police Order that deals with extensions of stay.

Very easy to do and you do it every year.

2.22 In the case of a retiree: Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);
(2) The applicant is 50 years of age or over;
(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or
(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than 800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days or
(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application

Thank you for your help...it's good to know that despite the two stupid , but what I consider to be minor misdemeanors I listed above , that I have a way of retiring in Thailand. My monthly income will be significantly higher than the 800k baht as will be my outside account (>800k baht) . I'll be 60 in a month and seriously considering retirement in Thailand having been there many many times over the past 15 years.

Any additional posts are welcome. ;)

Thank you for your help...it's good to know that despite the two stupid , but what I consider to be minor misdemeanors I listed above , that I have a way of retiring in Thailand. My monthly income will be significantly higher than the 800k baht as will be my outside account (>800k baht) . I'll be 60 in a month and seriously considering retirement in Thailand having been there many many times over the past 15 years.

Any additional posts are welcome. wink.png

OK if any additional posts are welcome..

...this one is to welcome and wish you good luck in LOS!

I'm retired, my second year, first extension, so also to confirm, yes its a good idea you have, and I am very happy I had the samebiggrin.png

To the OP.You have your answers so thats well covered.

My comment is about you living here. DO IT!

I'm close to your age and lived here last two years. Happy as a pig in ****.

Only problem is I've gone from 73kg to 85kg. Be carefull. Good luck

Any additional posts are welcome. wink.png

Just to be clear, the minimum monthly income requirement (if going down this route for retirement extensions) is actually 65,000 THB, as stated previously.