Thailand gets tough of jet ski scammers

webfact

Try something as simple as mandatory no deductible insurance for all jet skis.

Then the dishonest ones can not claim any damages or black male fees. Sorry simple solution to a problem because we all know TAT will do nothing at as they have in the past to help tourists they will just smile and say we will look into it.(when hell freezes) !

Black 'male' fees are racistrolleyes.gif

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is only one way they could stop the ongoing scam.

Military personal are to be permanently posted in specific places where the scammers operate.

If they move away and move to elsewhere then the military follows them and lords over them...with a gun if necessary.

Now , after having said that, that solution only works if the appointed military personal are not influenced or outright bribed to ignore the ongoing scam being perpetrated by the scammers and then become part of the scam itself.

Only if the appointed Military personal remain honest themselves.

*** Do you think it could work?????????????????????

There is no other way or program that could even be fathomed as being a working way to control the ongoing scam.

The clients would rent the Jet Skis through military personal who collect the money and documents while the Jet Ski operates are granted permission to operate their business through the posted military personal who watch over the scammers like a hawk.

Any violations of the enforced regulations and or criminal conduct perpetrated upon the patrons would result in the operators being immediately replaced by new operators while the Jet ski rental equipment changes hands to the new operator while the old operator forfeits his equipment ......as that is the penalty for the illegal conduct.

Every other attempt would be useless and a waste of time and would simply create more law breaking and corruption by any of the long list of people involved.

Edited by gemguy

This thread seems like deja vu. Didn't we have this same exact announcement a few months ago? And i think a few of these same responses too!!

Not really they announced that they were going to clamp down on the jet ski owners and had come to some sort of agreement with the operators.

This one is being more definite about what they are going to do. I haven't heard any complaints since the last announcement so I do wonder. It would seem that there has been some so they are increasing the pressure on the operators.

As for the same responses that is all they know how to say if it is Pro reform.

Seems to me they had to go at the taxi drivers three times. We were in Phuket two weeks ago and while I feel the cab prices where high as compared to here in Chiang Mai or Bangkok they were all the same. So apparently they have made some progress there. Didn't try the tuck tucks so can't say as to the price on them. We strictly cabbed it. Nephew paid.

nothing changed and wont,

or really do you think the jet ski operators who made min 100000 Baht a day, now will go home with 3 to 8 000 Baht?

or a taxidriver who charged 1500 Baht for a tour, now will switch on the meter and drive for 200 Baht?

it is only a big show, nobody arrested, an if, then out on bail,

William Shakespear would be proud of this play, give the people some free cinema ticket, some free concerts,

and promise cheaper food on fridays, it is a promotion tour that that can built their army goverment,

Censorship of press, for critism you go to prison, investigate journalism not possible because you can get be fined for

diffamation up to 15 years even you writing the true,

Western educated peopel here on TV and still beleave this BS of propaganda,

incredible

Military personal are to be permanently posted in specific places where the scammers operate.

If they move away and move to elsewhere then the military follows them and lords over them...with a gun if necessary.

Now , after having said that, that solution only works if the appointed military personal are not influenced or outright bribed to ignore the ongoing scam being perpetrated by the scammers and then become part of the scam itself.

There is no other way or program that could even be fathomed as being a working way to control the ongoing scam.

The clients would rent the Jet Skis through military personal who collect the money and documents while the Jet Ski operates are granted permission to operate their business through the posted military personal who watch over the scammers like a hawk.

Any violations of the enforced regulations and or criminal conduct perpetrated upon the patrons would result in the operators being immediately replaced by new operators while the Jet ski rental equipment changes hands to the new operator while the old operator forfeits his equipment ......as that is the penalty for the illegal conduct.

Every other attempt would be useless and a waste of time and would simply create more law breaking and corruption by any of the long list of people involved.

incredible

do you believe in Santa Claus also?

thhere is no interest to solve any problems, it is THAI style to scam out everything of tourist

In the meantime, the Trang Police are training volunteers on how to negotiate when there is an issue between the jet ski owner and a foreign tourist. Seriously.

special training to tell in different laguages: sorry but you have to pay, its your fall, go to ATM

Hiring a jet ski is just as open to abuse as hiring a bike or a car. At least when you hire a car in most cases there is a template that you fill in before you hire it. It is then up to you to go around the car pointing out and marking down the damage or scratches you see.

k11301681.jpg

incredible

do you believe in Santa Claus also?

thhere is no interest to solve any problems, it is THAI style to scam out everything of tourist

Well your entitled to your opinin ...even if you missed the point.

All other attempts have failed so why not try what is suggested because that is basically what the military is doing as we speak, concerning several other ongoing scams and forms of corruption that are prevalent here in Thailand.

Or maybe you are not aware of what the military has been doing.'

Basically they are lording over the situations and trying to control them ..or bring them under control.

I can assure you everyone would welcome the military coming and lording over the scum bag Jet ski operators and controlling them with an iron fist if need be

Nothing else has worked so far and nothing else would, as you are going to witness once again with the useless new rules and paper work they are suggesting.

I truly hope this action works. Not that I use JetSkis or am involved in tourism in anyway. Just that I'm fed up with reading about these scams operated by a few that tarnish the country I have chosen to spend the rest of my life.

This thread seems like deja vu. Didn't we have this same exact announcement a few months ago? And i think a few of these same responses too!!

Not really they announced that they were going to clamp down on the jet ski owners and had come to some sort of agreement with the operators.

This one is being more definite about what they are going to do. I haven't heard any complaints since the last announcement so I do wonder. It would seem that there has been some so they are increasing the pressure on the operators.

As for the same responses that is all they know how to say if it is Pro reform.

Seems to me they had to go at the taxi drivers three times. We were in Phuket two weeks ago and while I feel the cab prices where high as compared to here in Chiang Mai or Bangkok they were all the same. So apparently they have made some progress there. Didn't try the tuck tucks so can't say as to the price on them. We strictly cabbed it. Nephew paid.

Taxis in Bangkok are at least 50% cheaper and always have been ,used them for 12 years

The best way to deal with them is an ultimatum

Give them 3 weeks to clean up their act and if nothing has changed then ban them

Believe it or not the problem with this is that even on Pattaya beach there are actually a couple of genuine operators that don't abuse and scam - same goes for Koh Larn

It's bad luck for the genuine ones as they get blamed as well.

I've never been to Pattaya or Phuket so I don't know what it's like but if I did I wouldn't know who the genuine ones were.

Still misses the point though. Jet Skis should have a pre-paid deposit (1 or 2k max - cars are 5k!) and insurance that covers all eventualities above and beyond the deposit; and illegal for charges outside of this and rental fee (under existing extortion laws). Sign with fixed dimensions and font size, in Thai and English explaining all that, in full sight at every rental location, along with the number of the tourist police for disputes. full stop.

Agreed, except for the involvement of the tourist police. At least in Phuket at the moment this is the worst thing you can do.

This is a good move forward, but falls short of what everyone knows is the only real solution, 100% ban. This was a former governors plan a few years ago, but it was never followed through on by subsequent administrations.

It is also relevant to note that no boats, including personal watercraft, can be legally operated by persons without a Thai captains license.

The NCPO is falling short on this one.

One reason why i like Ko Chang,banned jet skies and nearly all deck chairs and umbrellas.

So a bunch of rules and regulations and noone to enforce them - Sounds like business as usual to me.

Next they are going to "get tough" on bank robbers and implement a set of rules and regulations.

1. Bank robbers must have a valid insurance.

2. Bank robbers must have a valid licence, no more than 3 months old.

3. Bank robbers must have a permanent address.

4. bank robbers must have first aid training, in case they hurt someone.

5. Bank robbers must carry a sign clearly displaying how much they plan to rob as well as the terms and conditions of the robbery.

6. If bank robbers comply with the above they will get a special bank robber uniform with a logo from the ministry of finance. This uniform acts as a guarantee that they are trusted bank robbers.

• Like 1

They refuse to correct the problem. Their way is to say ...We have bank robbers going in and robbing banks and from now on they can still wear a mask and use a gun and rob the bank...BUT must wear a coat and tie. All bank robbers who comply will get an elephant tie clip with a Smiley face.

monkeycountry great minds think alike. I did not read your post and just added this edit ...small world.

Edited by IAMSOBAD

Just promote and advertise and put on Facebook that all Jet ski operators in Thailand are and will rip you of and tell every one not to hire a Jet ski.After a month or so when no one hires a Jet ski the operators will get the message !

Don't believe it...I'm in Phuket and there's been all this talk since the coup...everything from the jet ski boys changing their ways to eliminating all together...so far nothing has been done..they remain at large and the scams continue....Doesn't look like the army can crack this nut...

I prefer to wait md see since my crystal ball is in the shop.
  • Like 1

Still misses the point though. Jet Skis should have a pre-paid deposit (1 or 2k max - cars are 5k!) and insurance that covers all eventualities above and beyond the deposit; and illegal for charges outside of this and rental fee (under existing extortion laws). Sign with fixed dimensions and font size, in Thai and English explaining all that, in full sight at every rental location, along with the number of the tourist police for disputes. full stop.

Are you sure cars are 5k. ....i just rented a car from Budget in bangkok for 4 days..they took 20 k off my credit card as prepaid deposit. .Re credited to account after return...if everything ok...and I had taken out full insurance charged separately. ...just saying.

Of course they're going to do this with the army as back up and enforcement. Just like the dismantling of the illegal stalls on the beaches and almost everything, this will be enforced with soldiers. These gangsters may be tougher then the local government and may have them and the police in their pocket but I very much doubt they're going to be able to pay off the army and the NCPO or outfight them.

Police of course,,,,,,,,, you don't borrow 400,000 baht to become a police officer, and not make it pay back to family. What are a few tyrone little scuppers of army enforcement in none major places going to do about such? Think my prednisolone is affecting me - just as my ear-medicine.... wink.png

I think people underestimate what the army can do. No one expected anything to be done to the illegal stalls on the beaches either. Where are they now, pray tell? What about the taxi mafia? You think these little jetski thugs are any different?

The shops on the beach were BANNED.

The jetskis are NOT.

So we have clean, spacious and quiet beaches.

The same cannot be said for the water itself.

• Like 2