UNCTAD confident Thailand's economy will grow at least 5 percent next year

webfact

Mr Supachai is confident Thailand’s economy will grow at least 5 percent next year

8-20-2014-9-33-36-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thailand’s economic growth rate next year is expected to register more than five percent due to investment of the government sector, said UNCTAD secretary-general Supachai Panichpakdi on Wednesday during his speech on the occasion of the 94th anniversary of the founding of Commerce Ministry.

For this year however he said that the GDP would slight expand as forecasted because government’s investment only started in the third quarter which is rather late whereas private sector investment remains stable with limited export growth.

He pointed that there are four key areas that the new government must quickly address in order that the Thai economy will grow on sustainable basis. They are human resources development through improvement of educational system which includes upgrading of the standard of vocational education; development of infrastructure so that Thailand can become Asean’s economic hub; and accelerated effort by Asean to enter into economic partnership treaty with six trading partners namely China, India, Japan, South Korea, Australia and New Zealand.

Mr Supachai praised the Commerce Ministry for having done its best to increase exports but the slowdown of global economy especially the slow recovery of the economy of the United States, Japan and European Union has dampened demand for imports from Thailand.

He warned that trading in the world market would become more restrictive in the future due to increased regulations and trade restrictions. He cited, for an instance, the case of the United States which often professes free trade and also urges other countries to practice free trade and the, out of a sudden, the US President called on Americans to buy American-made products.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/mr-supachai-confident-thailands-economy-will-grow-least-5-percent-next-year/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-08-21

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"Thailand can become Asean’s economic hub" . Yes I can see Hong Kong , Singapore and China quaking in their boots

Ok I thought it aid Asian not ASEAN , anyway I doubt Singapore have much to worry about

In July 2014 the Joint Standing Committee on Commerce, Industry and Banking (JSCCIB-composed of members from the Federation of Thai Industries, the Thai Chamber of Commerce, and the Thai Bankers Association) predicted that the economy will grow 4.2% just during the second half of 2014 or over 8% on an annualized basis. So UNCTAD is actually predicting a downturn in economic growth next year or the JSCCIB projection was unreasonably high.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"Thailand can become Asean’s economic hub" . Yes I can see Hong Kong , Singapore and China quaking in their boots

Hong Kong and China are not part of ASEAN.

Should have kept reading mate

Posted Today, 09:32

Sena Dave, on 21 Aug 2014 - 09:29, said:snapback.png

Ok I thought it aid Asian not ASEAN , anyway I doubt Singapore have much to worry about

In July 2014 the Joint Standing Committee on Commerce, Industry and Banking (JSCCIB-composed of members from the Federation of Thai Industries, the Thai Chamber of Commerce, and the Thai Bankers Association) predicted that the economy will grow 4.2% just during the second half of 2014 or over 8% on an annualized basis. So UNCTAD is actually predicting a downturn in economic growth next year or the JSCCIB projection was unreasonably high.

I guess then the headline should read UNCTAD down grades previous economic predictions. But that headline wouldn't sit to well

They must all be massively confident about the economy Hence the somewhat irresponsibly high interest rate of 2.8% being offered to me if I lock down a shed load of Money for a year

Interesting.

If you're tempted, get a quote for hedging in THB/CHF or USD - that will tell you perceived volatility expectations of the Baht.

Beware of generous bankers.