Nine students injured by self- accelerated car: Samut Songkram

webfact

Nine students injured by self- accelerated car

Nine-students-injured-by-self-accelerate

8-21-2014-12-57-12-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Nine secondary education students were injured after they were hit by a self-accelerated car while were about to cross the road to their school in Samut Songkram province Thursday.

The incident happened in the morning when a car of a medical service officer at a prison developed gear problem and rammed into a concrete wall and hit the students.

Nine children were slightly injured and admitted to Rama 2 hospital. Doctors said all students suffered bruises and now were safe and allowed to return homes.

Driver of the car said he had parked his car in parking lot opposite the school to let his kids off.

As he drove out, the car accelerated out of control. He said he chose to steer the vehicle into the wall, not realising it would break through.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/nine-students-injured-self-accelerated-car/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-08-21

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The driver does not know how to turn off the ignition?

I had a stuck accelerator pedal once while driving and killed the engine by turning off the ignition (via the key) and then cruised to a stop by the side of the road.

Like some bicycle, your car don't have brakes?

• Like 1

Ive used a car where the accelerator has stuck in stop-start traffic on a smooth road, went into the back of someone, very minor damage but still

Only way i could convince everyone it was a stuck accelerator was the skid marks left by the front wheels from when i realized what was happening and stood on the brake, only took 1 second to happen

had this happen to me in a medium sized truck. Accelerator just fell to the floor and engine revved up. took me about 0.999574 of a second to reach down and turn off the engine and pull over. Upon inspection the spring on the accelerator cable had snapped.

Though if i was near a school the better option would be to aim it for a wall and use students bodies to cushion the impact.

• Like 2

Thailand: The hub of lame excuses

Why do not these drivers flee the scene while the vehicle is in motion---my humour.

Fleeing the scene is disgraceful. However, would anybody stand there if 20 villagers are attacking them with pitchforks and flaming poles?

There were some incidents/accidents in Canada with stuck gas pedals on some Toyota pickups, after which there was a huge recall.

Logically you would shut off the ignition and hit the breaks, but people panic and don't act logically.

Not only in Canada. My car was one of those re-called due to a floor mat being designed so that on occasion, it would prevent the accelerator from returning to it's home position.

It happened to me twice, but was easy enough to step on the brake to stop the car

• Like 1

Thailand: The hub of lame excuses

Why do not these drivers flee the scene while the vehicle is in motion---my humour.

Fleeing the scene is disgraceful. However, would anybody stand there if 20 villagers are attacking them with pitchforks and flaming poles?

Hey this is not medieval times, no merry men are involved here at 8pm. like me you have seen to many black and white silent movies.

Note the blue racing alloy's. self accelerated car. " driver to car STOP when I tell you" or you will be sold.

Are you jealous because of your much older truck, pulled by a donkey?

The photo tells me he has near reached the end of the runway, nothing wrong with that.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

WD40 needed,why did he not give the excuse of been an epileptic,

like the teacher at an other school recently did.when he killed several

students,also in school car park.

regards Worgeordie

It was on the road running from the school gates to the school, not the car park, and the school director driving the car was an epileptic,with a tally of several car crashes in the past. Four 9yo students died. Still haven't heard if he went to prison.

• Like 1

There were some incidents/accidents in Canada with stuck gas pedals on some Toyota pickups, after which there was a huge recall.

Logically you would shut off the ignition and hit the breaks, but people panic and don't act logically.

due to a floor mat being designed so that on occasion, it would prevent the accelerator from returning to it's home position.

Thus, sue the designer for poor intentions........ for heaven's sake. w00t.gif

The driver does not know how to turn off the ignition?

I had a stuck accelerator pedal once while driving and killed the engine by turning off the ignition (via the key) and then cruised to a stop by the side of the road.

Like some bicycle, your car don't have brakes?

And he couldn't throw it out of gear into neutral/park/reverse (assuming it was an automatic)? I call it inept vehicle op under "possible" failure conditions.

Edited by MaxYakov

Definitely From the shallow end of the gene pool if he couldn’t manage to bring his vehicle to a controlled stop possibly a newbie driver who needs to take his driving test again before getting behind the wheel.