Stealthy, Razor Thin ATM Insert Skimmers

webfact

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got done last week. Don't know how they skimmed my card. because its been in the drawer for a few months. But i checked my account and apparently id been shopping in a Gucci store in USA.

• Like 1

Eeeya!

Did the bank reimburse you, for your loss ?.

called the bank straight away (Australian) and reported it. they cancelled the card and sent me another. Bank said dont pay it, they will cover it and any interest, but will take a couple of months.

they tried one store and got away with it, then the bank blocked the card when they tried another transaction at another luxury goods store.

all up about $3000.

Im surprised because i consider myself super careful with credit card theft. This particular card was only a low limit card i made for especially for paypal.

If i use any ATM i cover my hand when entering the pin.

I thinking back i might have used it as a security deposit at a hotel in indonesia. but i dont have proof. Card number could have been on a list for years before it got used fruadulently (spelling)

• Like 1

Agreed Neverdie,

I have been done three times in the past. Always recovered the money, but cost me money in phone calls, changing numbers etc. Now I transfer funds to my Thai banks, and do not even have atm card for them. Walk in and withdraw when needed. Yes, inconvenient, but still better than the alternative.thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

credit cards are covered, but i dont know about using a visa debit card. think you will just loose your money if you get skimmed

My card is not a credit card, It is a straight Gold Visa card, money has always been refunded.

But as Neverdie says these scum are Farang from certain countries we will not mention. Remember though that everyone pays for this theft through higher charges. bah.gif

• Like 2

Agreed Neverdie,

I have been done three times in the past. Always recovered the money, but cost me money in phone calls, changing numbers etc. Now I transfer funds to my Thai banks, and do not even have atm card for them. Walk in and withdraw when needed. Yes, inconvenient, but still better than the alternative.thumbsup.gif

Every time they catch these scumbags in Thailand they are not even local trash but farangs, lowlifes from those countries, you know the ones.

They should introduce the death penalty for this crime.......no ifs, not buts.

Yeeeeeeeeh.......kill them all.

In the meantime your advice is needed, for a poor old chap.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/753864-desperate-help-needed-for-old-age-friend/

This is really getting worrisome. I'm going to have to start using ATMs inside of banks.

Does anyone know of any good locations to use ATMs inside of banks in Bangkok, Pattaya, and Patong? Thanks.

Sure. Theres one there, one over there, and another just near there.

• Like 2

Photos of skimmers not showing in article; go to full article.

You would have no idea they were in the ATM slot, incredible!

Maybe institutions have to re-think how customers access accounts/money..... cards are old technology!!

• Like 1

I got done last week. Don't know how they skimmed my card. because its been in the drawer for a few months. But i checked my account and apparently id been shopping in a Gucci store in USA.

<deleted> thieving buggers, wish i could catch one of them fixing an ATM... They certainly wont be shopping at Gucci after that!

Matt out stiff penalties to all scammers, long prison time and a big fines and you'll see

a big drop in the numbers of those thieving criminals coming into Thailand for their dirty deeds,

as is now, once they get caught, no one really knows what happened to them and jail

terms they are sentence to, presumably not long enough to deter from others to come here...

I use my completely free credit card (Advanzia Bank, Luxembourg) only in shops and if necessary. When I need cash, I go to the bank, bring my passbook and receive the money over the counter. I refused the offer of an ATM card of my bank. This not only prevents any possible fraud, furthermore it secures the jobs of the tellers in the bank.

• Like 1

Photos of skimmers not showing in article; go to full article.

You would have no idea they were in the ATM slot, incredible!

Maybe institutions have to re-think how customers access accounts/money..... cards are old technology!!

Europe uses chips within the cards, need pin code to get cash or buy on POS terminal.

Unfortunately European cards still have the magnetic strip for use on ATM's in Asia .

Time for Asian banks to move to 21st century.

Belgian debit cards can not be used outside Europe, they are blocked here in Thailand.

Sick and tired of these baxxxxd skimmers . Low life people ruling other peoples life. Who ever they may be catch them and ensure toughest possible punishment and punish so harsh that they would think twice before getting involve. No wonder visa rules are getting harder

I've stopped using ATM cards in Thailand a while ago. One of the biggest issues is that they still use ATM cards with data on magnetic stripe which makes it very easy for scamming. Also the Pin code is very easy to obtain vy using a fake keyboard. You can cover the view as much as you want, it won't help. And those keyboards look so real, you have no idea you are typing on a 2nd layer keyboard.

So very easy, I only use old fashioned passbooks and go to the counter and only will start using an ATM again once they implement ATM cards with chipcodes.

Sick and tired of these baxxxxd skimmers . Low life people ruling other peoples life. Who ever they may be catch them and ensure toughest possible punishment and punish so harsh that they would think twice before getting involve. No wonder visa rules are getting harder

Look at the original message!

Finally a comment from the Republic Wadiya, What is General Aladeen doing to prevent this skim fraud??