Thailand 'most Risky Place For Holidaymakers'

udon

Thailand 'most risky place for holidaymakers'

Emma Gunby

Monday July 10, 2006

Guardian

Thailand is the most hazardous destination for British holidaymakers, where they are most likely to suffer food poisoning, theft, traffic accidents or the loss of belongings

A survey based on more than 60,000 claims made to Norwich Union in 2005 found travellers to South Africa were the most likely to suffer violent robberies or lose belongings in transit.

Austria was named the most likely place to suffer a skiing or snowboarding accident, and the Czech Republic had the highest number of claims for pickpocketing.

The safest destination was Ireland, said Norwich Union.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Food poisoning? Rubbish! :o

Rubbish is right. Lots of good food here, but much of it is not cooked in a sanitary fashion. Especially when the host's stomach isn't used to the bacteria and such.

In a lot of restaurants at street level, rats coming in and out through the kitchen (as the door is usually open) is normal.

One problem with food poisoning is that many food sellers cook their dishes then, if they don't sell it all by the end of trading, they re-heat it and offer it for sale the next day.

I also wonder about some of the larger hotels that offer smorgasbord dishes. I have yet to see the contents of the bain maries emptied into the garbage bins at the close of trade. They are also covered and re-heated the next day.

...Thohts is right about the rats. Kitchen staff seldom blink when rats as big as cats trot in and out of the kitchen. :o

One problem with food poisoning is that many food sellers cook their dishes then, if they don't sell it all by the end of trading, they re-heat it and offer it for sale the next day.

Yep. I try never to eat at a restaurant too early or too late for this reason... anywhere.

Whether the Norwich Union survey is correct or just a load of rubbish is not actually important...(although it seems to be based on insurance claims, so there must be an element of truth in there)

What is important is that potential tourists/visitors to Thailand will read this survey and assume the worst. Couple this with the recent 'farang' murders in LoS that have been reported in the UK press and Thailand then starts to drop down the list of suitable places to visit.

'We had a choice between Thailand and The Maldives, so we chose The Maldives because it's much safer'

'I'd love to visit Thailand, but my stomach isn't very good with foreign food. I think I'll visit the USA instead'

and so on and so on

Not really good news for Thailand.

If you look at the activities listed, (food poisoning, traffic accidents, theft, loss of belongings), then the chances of these occuring can all be reduced if the tourist takes some positive action.

Don't eat in a restaurant if it looks dirty. Don't eat off the street if you are not used to it. Don't ride a motorcycle without a helmet. Don't ride a motorcycle if you are drunk. Don't ride a motorcycle if you have never ridden one before. Don't flash your money about. do use hotel room safes. Do look after your belongings. Don't be a wally and visit Nana Plaza if you are old, fat and are attracted to Thai women.

A lot of this is down to educating the touirist.

Simon

I believe that part about food poisoning. My worst experience w/ food poisoning was in LOS. I was bedridden for a week w/ cramps and diarrhea. When I vacation in LOS, it's usually diarrhea on a daily basis. :o

I believe that part about food poisoning. My worst experience w/ food poisoning was in LOS. I was bedridden for a week w/ cramps and diarrhea. When I vacation in LOS, it's usually diarrhea on a daily basis. :o

Same for me, twice, last one was really serious.

Well Ive never experienced any problems like that in Thailand, apart from the food which im totally over now, I can eat Thai food on the street now and feel like a million bucks.

And I think most people in Thailand know that stealing from me is probaly the most dangerous thing on earth

YES! I totally agree. Thailand is far too dangerous. I think many types of tourists should consider other places to go. Perhaps East Los Angeles would appeal or maybe Watts or even Compton. Rio in South America is a great place also if you have an armed guard after dark.

As for me, I'll continue to take my chances right here. :o

Same for me, twice, last one was really serious.

I've gotten sick from the food here once in 17 years.

I've gotten sick on airline food flying home twice in the same amount of time. :D

I think many types of tourists should consider other places to go. Perhaps East Los Angeles would appeal or maybe Watts or even Compton

That's not particularly fair. It's not as if people are staying in Klong Toey Towers when they visit Thailand. East and South central LA are not tourist destinations.

Who really cares, There was a news story that milk causes cancer, butter causes cancer, doesnt mean i dont have any.

If you want to go just go, Its not that dangerous, probaly depends who your talking too, most figures are blown out because they need a story etc.

During my studies at Uni we looked at the dangers of travel. In the Food Poisoning stakes Egypt was at about 54% of tourist who visit get sick, India was second with about 33%. (Please don't ask me for a reference for the stats, it was over 10 years ago that I was uni, the figs give or take a couple of % were from 1994 if I remember correctly). What I do remember was everyone being startled at how far Egypt was ahead.

So Egypt isn't just in the lead, it is almost out of sight heading over the horizon whilst undoing its belt, toilet paper in hand leaving a fine vapour tail of vom!

I have taken tourists into many parts of the world, and have found Thailand to be amongst the safest in all aspects for visitors. Maybe I was just good at taking care of them?

Don't be a wally and visit Nana Plaza if you are old, fat and are attracted to Thai women.

I would have thought that this is exactly what you should do if you are old, fat and attracted to Thai women.

I think he was being ironic. I'd old, fat, grey haired and attracted. I'm a poof but the other criteria fit very well. :o

A report by one of the UK's leading insurance companies outlines details of risks travellers to Thailand face based on the insurance companies statistics (Claims).

And at once we have cries of 'Rubbish'.

Perhaps some thought and moreover some action on the part of the Thai government to deal with problems foreigners face in Thailand might be more apropriate.

Don't blame the news bringer - Fix the problem.

I used to eat off the food carts regularly in Bangkok. One lady sold duck soup that was delicious another had pork leg with leafy vegetables and boiled eggs and rice. The problem is if you were a little late you didn't get any. They sold until they had none left. When it was sold out they went home and it WAS sold out every day.

I used to eat off the food carts regularly in Bangkok. One lady sold duck soup that was delicious another had pork leg with leafy vegetables and boiled eggs and rice. The problem is if you were a little late you didn't get any. They sold until they had none left. When it was sold out they went home and it WAS sold out every day.

God I'm hungry and nothing in my kitchen to eat!Stop the food teasing please!:o

A report by one of the UK's leading insurance companies outlines details of risks travellers to Thailand face based on the insurance companies statistics (Claims).

And at once we have cries of 'Rubbish'.

Perhaps some thought and moreover some action on the part of the Thai government to deal with problems foreigners face in Thailand might be more apropriate.

Don't blame the news bringer - Fix the problem.

Dont see Australia any where in these risk statistics!! hundreds of tourists die every year here , and those are the legal ones, some just disappear,as far as food poisoning is concerned, Brisbane is famous for its own strain of salmonella, anyone having a night out on the town and finishes off with a meal, the trots are guaranteed :o Nignoy

I dont think the street food is the problem. that food is normally sold out and rotated well. I think the poisoning problem is in bars that have no concept of freshness and refridgeration. My brother and I were both poisoned with food from soi 7 beer garden on different occasions. his was from a fried rice dish with some nasty poison sauce of some kind. he was in bad shape and in bed for a few days. mine was from spaghetti and I too was in sorry shape for 3 days

Don't be a wally and visit Nana Plaza if you are old, fat and are attracted to Thai women.

I would have thought that this is exactly what you should do if you are old, fat and attracted to Thai women.

or settle down in a retirement home somewhere on the south coast :o ...eh

Nana plaza should be on the NHS geri-at-trick approved recovery centres ...would save the country a fortune on respite care. :D

Thailand 'most risky place for holidaymakers'

Emma Gunby

Monday July 10, 2006

Guardian

Thailand is the most hazardous destination for British holidaymakers, where they are most likely to suffer food poisoning, theft, traffic accidents or the loss of belongings

A survey based on more than 60,000 claims made to Norwich Union in 2005 found travellers to South Africa were the most likely to suffer violent robberies or lose belongings in transit.

Austria was named the most likely place to suffer a skiing or snowboarding accident, and the Czech Republic had the highest number of claims for pickpocketing.

The safest destination was Ireland, said Norwich Union.

i thought they were talking about the uk with the theft, traffic accidents or loss of belonging,

if they do a survey on any inner city council estate in the uk they would have their work cut out

keeping up with the police reports,taking into account, half are not even reported.

with the food poisoning, once in 18 years i have had a bug in thailand

Yet to have food poisoning, but I think for a lot of folks it's only going to an issue for the first few months you're here.... and it's more likely to be 'light' food poisoning like upset stomachs.

Wouldn't mind tourist (all countries) numbers falling though, especially at certain restaurants, clubs, etc.

:o

Yep. I try never to eat at a restaurant too early or too late for this reason... anywhere.

Your paranoid and your letting your paranoia dictate your eating habbits. I'm glad i dont have to dine with you.