Converting a Visa exempt to a Retirement - Can effects seeding time and cut off dates.

My current retirement extension will finish on the 9th Dec 2014.

• I intend to let this expire and I will leave for Vietnam on 1st Dec 2014 and I wills stay in Vietnam for an unspecified period.
  • I will then latter return to Thailand after Vietnam.
  • Before returning I will transfer the funding (800k) required into my Thai Bank account.
  • When returning to Thailand I will get a Visa exempt at the airport - Or possibly I will get single tourist visa (60 days) in Saigon (HMC) – This depends upon the answer to the question I have posed below.
  • Once back in Thailand I will then apply to convert the Visa exempt (or tourist visa) to Non-O and then I will also will apply for an Extension based upon retirement.

Questions:

I have read conflicting information can someone give me a heads up?

1. Is there a time stipulation on when the application for extension on a tourist Visa (If I take this option) can be made? – I am not sure, but I think that this application must be made at 15 days (or greater) before the visa expiration date?
  2. If however the application is being made using a Visa exempt is this same time stipulation exactly the same i.e 15 days or greater than the end date of Visa exempt date?
  3. Since this will now be a new application for retirement extension – Will the money in bank seeding time be 2 months as a new application (rather than the 3 months needed on an existing extension)?

When you do the conversion it gives you a 90 day non immigrant visa entry and then 60 days after that you will do the extension.

The money only has to be in the bank on the date you apply for the conversion there is no seasoning needed. When you apply for the extension you need the money to be in the bank for 60 days.

You could get a single entry non-o visa while you are in Vietnam.

When you do the conversion it gives you a 90 day non immigrant visa entry and then 60 days after that you will do the extension.

The money only has to be in the bank on the date you apply for the conversion there is no seasoning needed. When you apply for the extension you need the money to be in the bank for 60 days.

You could get a single entry non-o visa while you are in Vietnam.

Thanks UbonJoe - Great response (as always).

How do you know all this stuff? Have you been through some kind of professional training or just learned along the way?

I would recommend you against letting expire and interrupt your retirement based extension of stay.

The reason is that if there is an increase in the financial requirements, those that have maintained it continuously can be grandfathered to remain with the current requirements. This has already happened twice in the past.

Since Vietnam is not far, it would quite easy for you to come back one or two days for the purpose of getting the new extension at the due time. That will also save you a Bt 2,000 fee for visa conversion.

I would recommend you against letting expire and interrupt your retirement based extension of stay.

The reason is that if there is an increase in the financial requirements, those that have maintained it continuously can be grandfathered to remain with the current requirements. This has already happened twice in the past.

Since Vietnam is not far, it would quite easy for you to come back one or two days for the purpose of getting the new extension at the due time. That will also save you a Bt 2,000 fee for visa conversion.

This assumes, of course, that he will still have a place which he can call home in Thailand while he is in Vietnam.

Why not just renew the extension early, while still in Thailand, buy a re-rentry permit, and then go off to Vietnam? Unless the OP is going to stay in Vietnam for more than a year, it would seem to be the easiest way.

Additionally, if there is any verifiable recurring income from a pension or similar stream, get a letter from the embassy, and deposit sufficient funds to exceed the 800,000 THB threshold. Then there is no seeding requirement.