How many languages/dialects are currently spoken or used in Thailand?

hotsoup

What does your wife/gf actually speak with her friends and family?

This not about the Thai language; it relates much more to the diversity and fragmentation of Thailand. Most people can, of course, speak Thai; but I have heard it

asserted that more than 80 distinct languages/dialects are in use. And that in central Thailand more people use Teochew than Thai as their first language.In parts of Chiang Mai the road signs are in Passa Neua. Where we are the main languages are Passa Yor and Passa Pu Tai, with a lot of Lao and Vietnamese. As a consequence there is a great linguistic affinity between the speakers of those languages and to the local Jangwat.

Here north of Korat, it is mostly Korat and Lao. Makes it hard to learn Thai as I am trying to do. My neighbor understands Thai but only speaks Korat. I am not sure how close Korat is to Thai but I can understand most of what people are talking about in Thai but I can not understand a single word of what he says.

Hotsoup

You be up in Sakhon Nakhon, perhaps, or NKP?

At home my wife speaks the central dialect but I can sure tell when she's talking to family back in Sakeo, switches to Issan.

Not familiar with "Yor."

Lots of references to others here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_language

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_languages

and more via a Google for: thailand yor dialect

Mac

In the province of Songkhla, the locals pride themselves on 'lang tai' which translates roughly as 'speak southern Thai'. To my ears, this southern dialect appears, phonetically, to have roots in the Chinese dialect of Hainan Island aka Hailam. There is a tendency to end sentences on an upnote making every sentence sound like a question to people used to speaking English, like me.

My wife is from Surin province and speaks Khmer which is only 20% the same as the Cambodian language. It has no written language. In Surin province there are at least 5 languages spoken: Thai, Khmer, Essan (80% the same as Lao), Suay, Thai Chinese. The rest is available from Wikipedia. I speak Khmer to my wife and her family and friends.

My Brother-In-Law is Kong Koey from the famous Khmer Rock Kantrum group "Rock Kong Koey". The songs are sung in Khmer but have to be transliterated into Thai phonetics for Karaoke.

the Khmer people, along with the Mon, are the original in habitants of what is now called Thailand when the land was part of the Khmer Kingdom.

My wife is from Surin province and speaks Khmer which is only 20% the same as the Cambodian language. It has no written language. In Surin province there are at least 5 languages spoken: Thai, Khmer, Essan (80% the same as Lao), Suay, Thai Chinese. The rest is available from Wikipedia. I speak Khmer to my wife and her family and friends.

My Brother-In-Law is Kong Koey from the famous Khmer Rock Kantrum group "Rock Kong Koey". The songs are sung in Khmer but have to be transliterated into Thai phonetics for Karaoke.

the Khmer people, along with the Mon, are the original in habitants of what is now called Thailand when the land was part of the Khmer Kingdom.

If Khmer is not the Cambodian language what language is?

The Mong never belonged to the Khmer Empire. They had their own Mong Empire in the North and Birma.

I think it was the American linguist William Gedney, who worked in Michigan was the genius behind this compilation..Anyway I think, for me, the really interesting thing is the languages your wife g/f speaks. As you all know Brits hardly speak another language, Americans pretty much the same, though I am told the Pentagon has'thousands of Arabic' speakers at its disposal/...wonder which dialect there??!! In Europe bilingualism at least and often multilingualism is more common. My wife speaks Yor, mainly, Pu Thai, Teochew, Central Lao, Vietnamese, Thai of course, and English. So Thanyaburi Mac not far from

Sakhon Nakhon!!

And my daughter don't want to learn French...but is working on the Japanese..to read Anime!

Edited by hotsoup
  • Like 1

The Mong never belonged to the Khmer Empire. They had their own Mong Empire in the North and Birma.

Quite. The Mon straddle the 'Thai' 'Burmese' border wherever that may or may not have been. And of course in the NW of 'Siam' there are a whole host of other 'speeches from Lisu' to 'Lahu'..to Akha and Shan.......Does one trust Ethnologue? Never sure about the Godbretheren...Interesting to know how many of these languages they wrote down or produced biblical writings for?

I think it was the American linguist William Gedney, who worked in Michigan was the genius behind this compilation..Anyway I think, for me, the really interesting thing is the languages your wife g/f speaks. As you all know Brits hardly speak another language, Americans pretty much the same, though I am told the Pentagon has'thousands of Arabic' speakers at its disposal/...wonder which dialect there??!! In Europe bilingualism at least and often multilingualism is more common. My wife speaks Yor, mainly, Pu Thai, Teochew, Central Lao, Vietnamese, Thai of course, and English. So Thanyaburi Mac not far from

Sakhon Nakhon!!

And my daughter don't want to learn French...but is working on the Japanese..to read Anime!

I'm fascinated by the linguistic competence of people like your wife, if you don't mind me saying so. The ablility to speak so many languages must be truly enriching.

I'm also puzzled by the reference to 'Yor'. I've seen this before and have never been able to find any information on it. Is it the language Ethnologue lists as Yoi, Yooi, Yooy etc, spoken by by about 5,000 people in Sakon Nakhon Province? I would genuinely like to know.

Ps, re Ethnologue in your later post, I'm not a great fan of God botherers myself but Wikipedia suggests that the linguistic community do take their work seriously.

Edited by DoctorB
  • Like 1

Central Thai is the Cambodian language? CIA Factbook says 96.3% speak Khmer?

It says no such thing. It does not mention Khmer. It says:

Languages:

Thai (official) 90.7%, Burmese 1.3%, other 8%

Only on Thai Visa could we be having this argument.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/cb.html

Khmer (official) 96.3%, other 3.7% (2008 est.)
Principal Languages
Central Khmer, English
Edited by thailiketoo

I am bewildered. Who said Cambodians spoke Thai,

What I want to know is what language your wife/gf speaks...and can you understand her!!!!!....which I doubt!!!

Should have headed this post as such!!

Thailiketoo wrote, "Central Thai is the Cambodian language? CIA Factbook says 96.3% speak Khmer?"

Wandasloan wrote, " It says no such thing. It does not mention Khmer. It says:

Languages:

Thai (official) 90.7%, Burmese 1.3%, other 8%

And Estrada wrote, "My wife is from Surin province and speaks Khmer which is only 20% the same as the Cambodian language. It has no written language."

Only on Thai Visa would we be having an argument about Khmer's speaking Khmer.

Edited by thailiketoo

Mon and Mong are different groups. Mon (in Thai มอญ) are from Burma / Myanmar whereas the Mong (actual spelling is Hmong, in Thai ม้ง) are from China.

Wikipedia on Mon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mon_people

Wikipedia on Hmong: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hmong_people

Have quizzed Madame

Looks like Passa Yor is the same as Passa Yo

Probably in the category of Nyaw

Now discovered another one Thai Saek!!!

And then there is Passa So which she does not speak!

I suspect there are a whole raft of intermingling languages and dialects!

The critical concept is mutual 'intelligibility'?

• Like 1

wife is from the south so she can speak southern thai as well but uses thai for her work, when we go back to Phuttalung(home town) it is totally different as they all start with the southern dialect.

I am bewildered. Who said Cambodians spoke Thai,

What I want to know is what language your wife/gf speaks...and can you understand her!!!!!....which I doubt!!!

Should have headed this post as such!!

Perhaps stick to English rather than "jangwat" "passa" etc.