Tough new crackdown on alcohol promotions in Thailand

george

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here I go again, I just had to spread my wisdom for all to benefit! This will be a tough one for Thais, but should take care of the problem. Concerned about highway carnage, eh? It will no longer be a problem after my brilliance sets in. Ban all motorized modes of transportation. Cars, motorcycles, buses,etc. Samlors will become extremely popular which is good, and the highway fatalities will go down to zero overnight. Thais as we all know HATE to walk so the bicycle industry will thrive, aside from the fact that it would cause Thais to exercise which is problematic in itself. But, the problem is solved and the alcohol industry doesn't get an unfair slap in the face. Overall, even though some may say my idea is nutty, it would be an instant remedy, no loonier than to have to start scraping logos, etc. off of a variety of items in a bar. No use of antique beer cans, signs, etc. in creating a decor? Is that not ludicrous? Does this not start to make you think that whoever is coming up with these designs on lifestyle in Thailand is maybe a bit tipsy? Yep, I think that could be it, they've had just a tad too much to drink. The brain cells already damaged too far to create logical thoughts. My other perhaps far fetched thought is that some of this dictum might be coming straight out of Iran! Conspiracies do happen.

I don't know why we Farangs keep thinking that we matter in Thailand. We don't. Just like a guest in your home would have to abide by any changes in your rules. Everything that makes Thailand exotic revolves around what reforms are suppose to address... CORRUPTION. Sooner or later, and it seems sooner, the foundation of our playhouse, will be ripped from beneath us and without a foundation what house can stand? We are guests. The new power doesn't car about Farang businesses especially bars. Just like "quality tourists" the junta will be looking to deter businesses that promote or associated with prostitution, drugs, drinking and smoking and encourage quality businesses that are more family orientated. They will experiment with a smaller city and let it be the "test model" the implementation to the Hotspots. So Drink up, smoke up but don't <deleted> up.

This is total nonsense. The Junta is risking the good work it has been doing by floating such nonsense.

Why dont they stick to the major issues such as corruption, tax evasion, helping the poor to a decent standard of life etc.

I can see this being another 5 minute wonder.

A dry Thailand only affect falang. Thai people are Buddhist and drinking is against believes anyway. This is a Buddhist country.

Boy, do you ever live in an alternative universe if you believe that. Every male Thai I know drinks 3-4 times more than any farang I know.

Good Joke Suriya4, do you also do barmitzva's and stags?

I don't know why we Farangs keep thinking that we matter in Thailand. We don't. Just like a guest in your home would have to abide by any changes in your rules. Everything that makes Thailand exotic revolves around what reforms are suppose to address... CORRUPTION. Sooner or later, and it seems sooner, the foundation of our playhouse, will be ripped from beneath us and without a foundation what house can stand? We are guests. The new power doesn't car about Farang businesses especially bars. Just like "quality tourists" the junta will be looking to deter businesses that promote or associated with prostitution, drugs, drinking and smoking and encourage quality businesses that are more family orientated. They will experiment with a smaller city and let it be the "test model" the implementation to the Hotspots. So Drink up, smoke up but don't <deleted> up.

I agree with you that all people from outside Thailand must realize that this isn't "home". In regard to business, the "Disney" idea that you talk about is a possibility that has much more potential than the adult side that is currently offered. However, changing bar times and reducing the availability of such things doesn't make much sense. Why not just change locations of certain aspects of society? In other words, knock down Nana... rebuild it into a hotel mecca... throw in a theme park... add fun bars for mainstream tourists. Near the airport... create a new area of sin. Let all the old bars relocate... maybe not that far... how about BangNa?

A dry Thailand only affect falang. Thai people are Buddhist and drinking is against believes anyway. This is a Buddhist country.

Boy, do you ever live in an alternative universe if you believe that. Every male Thai I know drinks 3-4 times more than any farang I know.

Good Joke Suriya4, do you also do barmitzva's and stags?

Uhhh Suriya4... I'm a heavy drinker, but I don't drink more than beer. I see Thai people do much more than that all day on a regular basis. "Lao Gaat"... x 4 in one day equals a bottle of Thai lao.

Edited by bluecheesefan

No drinking after midnight ? It's like living back at home with your parents. This can't be good for the Tourist industry or for those of us that live here and enjoy a beer or 2 at the weekend.

Just a shift in time-frame.... have to start earlier.

A bit of a drag for the footy though, have to start watching that at home, or friend's houses. In fact it could promote a whole new enjoy yourself at home scene. I will rent a few beer girls of my own.

No problem for Chang and Singha. They have soda too - ever wondered why?

This is exactly how it works in many parts of India, no alcohol promotions permitted, but you are allowed to promote Johnnie Walker or Kingfisher drinking water.

No problem for Chang and Singha. They have soda too - ever wondered why?

This is exactly how it works in many parts of India, no alcohol promotions permitted, but you are allowed to promote Johnnie Walker or Kingfisher drinking water.

At many malls, you can see Heineken bill boards and stages where local musicians playing to customers drinking those large containers of beer,

both will be illegal

- No images of alcoholic drinks, including photography, and logos in any language which “invite” the public to drink alcohol are allowed.

- For television, movies, video, electronic formats and all advertising mediums showing images, logos must not be bigger than 5 percent of all advertising space. The time in which the logo is shown cannot be more than 5 percent of total advertising time and no longer than two seconds. Advertising can only be done between 10pm and 5am, and the logos can only be shown at the end of the advertisement.

This is from the original article.... at http://chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=4387 ( I hope someone doesn't crack my head for the copy/paste at TV).

Essentially, the rules support subliminal advertising... a 60 second ad means that the logo can show for 3 seconds (60 seconds x .0.05 = 3). It may not be enough time for your brain to figure out immediately what the eye has seen, but plenty of time for the brain to process and use seconds later.

clearly, they are slowly closing in on vice of every kind,

take away the alcohol, and the bars dry up, the bar girls go back to their farms and villages to raise their own children,

and the fat farange begins to dissapear aand the one's left, have shrinking bellies

I see the logic

I rememeber seeing a huge ad next to a freeway in BKK years ago that showed a huge bottle of scotch and a slogan that read: The further away you get from a problem, the smaller it gets. DEWAR'S"

That is the problem with advertising that any country has... however the real fix is to make the same company write "if you drink too much of DEWARS or any alcohol you might die, kill other people ( by driving drunk or getting depression) or just simply get arrested and go to jail for years and years and yearrrrrrrrrrrrs. Don't drink and drive, but enjoy DEWARS responsibly".

Edit: I forgot drunk fighting.... the list goes on.

Edited by bluecheesefan

It'd be funny if it wasn't so serious. That'll be no more Chang logo'd Buriram United shirts worn by staff at the towns Bamboo Bar.

Don't know how I'll cope if I can't drink alcohol whilst driving my car or riding my bicycle.

How about alcohol free beer? Very popular in Spain. Much better than drinking sugary crap like Coke, Pepsi, Fanta, cold tea, but then again they are just about to get a taxing as well.

Amazing Thailand. You couldn't make it up.

Edited by watso63

Now it is going crazy here Tourist are a huge part of Thailands GDP Not Booze no Tourists No Tourists unemployment 25% Bars shut down how are ugly hookers going to make living? bars shut Thai's lose jobs that all the way down the chain.From hookers to food vendors. Thailand will become a ghost country hell even the ghost will leave.hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJ.beatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAuburp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRR.gifdrunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEE.gifxsorry.gif.pagespeed.ic.HIAcli9fRM.pngxmfr_closed1.gif.pagespeed.ic.UuJWYpOV2upost-4641-1156694005.gif.pagespeed.ce.gy

Most of the older retired drinkers start drinking in afternoon or early evening and are home asleep before midnight. Most of the Thai farm village drinkers are also drunk before too late and are passed out early. This change really affects the young who party until 3 or 4 am and then drive home.

I think you will also see zones setup for the foreign tourist areas before high season that will keep bars and clubs open until 2:00am.

So how can we find out when its Happy Hours when the staff are not allowed to talk about it and no signs ?

there gotta be a song named happy hour they can play

How about "Happy Trails to You"... That will mix everyone up... but soon everyone will learn it means heavy drinking INSTEAD of going home. thumbsup.gif

I don't mind the advertising bit, but do question the effectiveness of this all. Is there any statistics on the sales ban from 14:00 to 17:00? I doubt it has done much.

I would have thought a campaign to educate and promote responsible consumption of alcohol had more chance for success.

A good friend works for Diageo putting together launch events in bars, discos and hotels around and about. I guess she will be NOT be out of a job then.

Tax the stuff by alchohol content and this whole discussion becomes moot. Whisky would become too expensive and everyone would drink beer and wine. Problem solved.

You can get drunk on beer and wine too. It's not what you drink...it's the effect Alcohol has on you.

Most of the older retired drinkers start drinking in afternoon or early evening and are home asleep before midnight. Most of the Thai farm village drinkers are also drunk before too late and are passed out early. This change really affects the young who party until 3 or 4 am and then drive home.

I think you will also see zones setup for the foreign tourist areas before high season that will keep bars and clubs open until 2:00am.

I beg to differ... where and when are the accidents happening? ____________ You can answer this, but I don't believe it is mainly young people at night... especially young people (if farang) that I would counter probably take taxis. In my opinion, very few young Thais own cars (yes some motorcycles), but most of what is reported is on the long stretch of roads between the towns.

This isn't an attack at farang "oldies" or even the late party people. However, it is an all at once approach of controlling alcohol that won't bring the desired result.

Seems a bit harsh alright. But I wish my own country had the -alls to do something similar when it was needed. We had a very high mortality rate from drink driving and fixed it with a very expensive advertising campaign that went on for years against drink driving. The country still has a hugh drink problem....now being blamed on the sale of cheap alcohol in supermarkets and garages. The young people get "tanked up" at home before going out at night to the late bars and night clubs. Mayhem occurs on the streets when these places close (all around the same time). Our accident and emergency units in the hospitals are 99% full of drunk young people who end up attacking the nursing staff if they don't get seen to quickly.....so they do get seen to BEFORE the genuinely sick people who have been waiting longer....just to get rid of them. It is common for people to be waiting up to 3 days on a trolly (no beds available) before they get seen to.

Thailand will lose a lot of money over this move but they are still prepared to do it. I wish my own country was prepared to take the same stand. If you haven't guessed already why it has been allowed to get this bad at home, I'll enlighten you......most of the politicians are involved in the "drinks" trade,....and of course the lobbyists for the alcohol companies.