"Knee Defender" on flights, what do you think ?

roamer

Airplane seats were designed to recline. The ticket price includes the right to recline the seat. Those who become physically uncomfortable when the seat in front of them reclines should pay for a seat in premium economy or business class.

Where is the unlike button? Sorry but you need to re-read the small print on your contract of carriage. Some seats have limited recline due to aircraft configuration like (aft seats or in front of galley bulkheads ) or for regulatory purposes such as certain exit row seats. Seats must be able to be secured in the full upright position. The recline mechanism may be inoperative also and maintenance legally deferred according to an approved maintenance procedure commonly known as MEL (minimum equipment list). If the flight is full and you are unfortunately assigned a seat with inoperative recline you may have no choice but to accept it or be offloaded, forthwith.

coffee1.gif

It's clear that you're simply trying to be argumentative.

As I wrote, "airplane seats were designed to recline". Yes, not all seats on a plane are designed to recline (exit rows, bulkheads, etc...), but the vast majority are.

But allow me to rephrase: If my seat is one of the 99% of seats on the plane designed to recline (and it is not broken), I have the right to recline it.

If, as a result of reclining your seat, you get someone's knees in your back, do you feel you have a right to ask them to sit differently? And do you think they have a right to demand you move the seat forward?

If it is not intentional and due only to the length of the their legs, then no I don't have a right to ask them to sit differently. It's just bad luck for me. It's similar to sitting next to an overweight person: it makes for an unpleasant flight, but it's the luck of the draw who sits near you on a plane.

As for your second question, no they don't have a right to demand that I move my seat forward, but they can certainly ask politely. I think most people would comply with this request if the person's legs were really that long. That said, if someone's legs really are that long, they probably shouldn't be sitting in economy seats. I believe the same holds true for seriously overweight people.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the next invention, a plastic cone if silence you put over someone else's crying baby. I paid good money for my ticket and my right to sleep with out listening to a screaming baby!

a knee defender wouldn't have helped me, back ages ago in seat 57D, if I recall correctly, on a 747

- bulkhead facing my seat, the bulkhead with Crib attachment points

- screaming kid all flight (someone else's mind you, and her mum was three Rows back!!

- having a nice quiet time she was...

I didn't have ANYWHERE to eat. If I had leant forward to reach my feet, I'd have a face-full of nappy.

OH! What I would have given - if only - for a seat in front of me- and I wouldn't mind a recalcitrant recliner...

Edited by tifino

Sounds a great idea.

I have no time for the ignorant people who within minutes of sitting down recline their seat and crush my knees.

I usually then do not bother with the meal as I cannot open the tray.

I do make sure that I push my knees into their back for the entire journey.

I have no time for inconsiderate people.

If I see someone sitting behind me I never recline my seat.

And if the person in front has reclined their seat leaving you less room ? I often think there is a collapsing domino effect coming into play.

Makes no difference, my knees are still crushed and cannot open seat tray.

I find it astonishing that someone on a flight of less than an hour has to recline the seat even before taking off.

Selfish ignorant people.

Selfish ignorant people. Then, you've been to earth, have you?

Sounds a great idea.

I have no time for the ignorant people who within minutes of sitting down recline their seat and crush my knees.

I usually then do not bother with the meal as I cannot open the tray.

I do make sure that I push my knees into their back for the entire journey.

I have no time for inconsiderate people.

If I see someone sitting behind me I never recline my seat.

And if the person in front has reclined their seat leaving you less room ? I often think there is a collapsing domino effect coming into play.

Makes no difference, my knees are still crushed and cannot open seat tray.

I find it astonishing that someone on a flight of less than an hour has to recline the seat even before taking off.

Selfish ignorant people.

Selfish ignorant people. Then, you've been to earth, have you?

@LB 'CERTAINLY not talking about flights of less than an hour OR insisting on reclining seats during takeoff. (YES - that's illegal.. Landings, too.) Read a little before gracing us with your insufferable sanctimony. 'Got a knee problem? Check out business class and stop whining. Everybody's got problems, but most of us deal with them without trying to make them everybody else's problem.

JesseFrank, on 27 Aug 2014 - 21:57, said:

If the person behind me would use such a device I would smash his knee caps.

I pay for a seat that can be reclined, so does the person behind you, so what gives him the right to restrict your comfort.

What gives you the right to restrict their comfort...seems you have a problem. Airline should restrict the distance a seat can recline.

What aircraft have you flown on that the distance the seat could recline wasn't restricted?