"Knee Defender" on flights, what do you think ?

roamer

First time I've heard of this, a device that clips onto your tray and stops the person in front of you reclining your their seat. Already caused a brawl on one US flight. So would you use one ? What would be your reaction if the person behind you did ? Some airlines ban them but I've often noticed that some Asian airlines are more reluctant to deal with truculent passengers than their American or European counterparts.

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-planning/travel-news/legroom-gadget-sales-jump-after-seat-recline-spat-on-plane-20140827-3edyi.html

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just reading the article in the OP's link, and there are some further links beyond that one.

One concept brought out in the other article, was the view no one should be reclining-at-all during flights of less than 3 hours...

• Like 1

just like an Ambulance can be fitted with a device that remotely changes Traffic Lights in their favour: what we need is for someone to be more inventive than the knee defender...

...what about some Remote-dooHickey device, that can make the 'fasten seatbelts' light come on - now!! that will bring all the seats upright whenever you want your knees to come up for air clap2.gif

Easier, would be the captain declare 'Seatbelts ON' for the duration of mealtimes...

If the person behind me would use such a device I would smash his knee caps.

I pay for a seat that can be reclined, so does the person behind you, so what gives him the right to restrict your comfort.

What pisses people off is when passengers go wallop with no indication they are about to recline. If they catch me unawares and its clear they are being deliberately ignorant, then that seat gets pushed back up way quicker than it came down........

Bear in mind those economy seats will go all the forward to an almost horizontal position if you push from behind. You have been warned...........whistling.gif

• Like 2

I see many airlines are 'pro-actively'?? banning the use of the knee-protectors.

geez, we can't win!! y'know the inventor got the idea from using an umbrella...

geez, we can't now substitute an umbrella instead - it would not be allowed in the cabin these days, for the anti-terrorism factor.

If people are willing to pay $21 plus for this item than why can't airlines just increase economy

tickets $20-$25 per seat and give us all additional 3-5 inches?

I would be quite happy to pay for an additional 3-5 inches, alas I feel the blood supply is not sufficient for this particular TV member sad.png any other "members" out there feel they would like an extra 3-5 inches ?

• Like 2

Timing is a funny thing. Just after I hit the Post button on the above, the Morning TV news had a small item on the Knee Protector.

53fd744a2d4c4af7a0bf5df2767f2254-knee-de53fd7455de88412f89c45e31767f2254-knee-de

Qantas and Virgin Australia have banned the controversial Knee Defender dongle which prevents economy seats from reclining.

Both airlines issued statements confirming their stance in the wake of a highly publicised stoush on a United Airlines flight which saw the plane make an unscheduled landing and two passengers marched off.

Here

I recline my seat on long haul when i feel like sleeping. Out of courtesy to the person behind, i will return to upright position during meal times.

If you are behind and can't tolerate that, i suggest you fly business class. tongue.png

I don't think any reasonable person has a problem with that, or even reclining the seat a little bit for most of a long-haul flight. It is the people who recline 100% for 100% of the flight that p*ss me off.

The budget airlines seem the worst for the 100% crowd - Jetstar and Scoot are the two I have experienced. Don't know if it's because their passengers travel less frequently (less sophisticated travellers), their passengers are younger (me me me), or there is some sort of lower socio-economic chip-on-shoulder thing going on.

But the real culprit is the airline - they should leave enough leg room for tall people.

Am I wrong?

You are right, the airlines are getting greedier. As people are getting taller theairlines are continually reducing the space between the seats. Something has to give and it is usually peoples tempers. Aviation regulators need to step in here and specify minimum leg room as the reduced space can lead to such problems as DVT - and a punch on the chin.

The seat pitch on some airlines is so tight that my knees are already up against the seat before they try to recline. I can't help being tall, but I do feel a bit bad for those in front of me that try to recline and realize they can't. Only had one case where the guy in front kept trying for five hours but at least he didn't throw any water at me. It's especially bad on some planes like the -777 that have electronic entertainment boxes on the floor where my feet would like to go but can't.