"Knee Defender" on flights, what do you think ?

roamer

If people are willing to pay $21 plus for this item than why can't airlines just increase economy

tickets $20-$25 per seat and give us all additional 3-5 inches?

I would be quite happy to pay for an additional 3-5 inches, alas I feel the blood supply is not sufficient for this particular TV member sad.png any other "members" out there feel they would like an extra 3-5 inches ?

Ah Ha now I know what my wife means when she says she would like an extra 3-5 inches. I was getting worried. Thanks for that.

Den

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just like an Ambulance can be fitted with a device that remotely changes Traffic Lights in their favour: what we need is for someone to be more inventive than the knee defender...

...what about some Remote-dooHickey device, that can make the 'fasten seatbelts' light come on - now!! that will bring all the seats upright whenever you want your knees to come up for air clap2.gif

Easier, would be the captain declare 'Seatbelts ON' for the duration of mealtimes...

Not sure what the seatbelt sign has to do with raising the seats, I wear my seatbelt with the seat reclined, have my seat up for takeoff,meals,

and landings. I am always trying to sleep on a plane.

I will ask the person to please move up about 1/2 way after full recline... I just cannot move about when they are fully reclined. IF they refuse... I bang the back every time I adjust (waiting until they are asleep) and pull down on the seat top when moving... because I am 12.

I almost never fully recline my seat, because it is not comfortable for me and also I am considerate.

I am going to look for this knee defender device or make my own.

Edited by Nowisee
  • Like 1

missus thai always scolds me when I lock me knees into position, ready for battle....

I'm over 6 ft, and got sick off the recalcitrants who delight in whacking the seat right back, even causing stuff to spill from your eating tray.

If a person reclines his seat at night to sleep, there can be no complaints no matter how tall you are (I am 6ft) you just recline your seat also, but if it is daytime, I never recline my seat.

Flying back to Thailand in the daytime last week, this Farang in front of me was the only one who reclined his seat near me, and he was not sleeping, I asked him nicely if he would unrecline his seat, he just ignored me, then I made sure he had a very uncomfortable time for the rest of the journey.

Sounds a great idea.

I have no time for the ignorant people who within minutes of sitting down recline their seat and crush my knees.

I usually then do not bother with the meal as I cannot open the tray.

I do make sure that I push my knees into their back for the entire journey.

I have no time for inconsiderate people.

If I see someone sitting behind me I never recline my seat.

It is not the people who are inconsiderate...they paid for a seat that be reclined without restriction.

It is the airline who arranged the seats to close to each other.

It is just a capitalist attitude to get more money out of you by making room for as many passengers as possible.

I will ask the person to please move up about 1/2 way after full recline... I just cannot move about when they are fully reclined. IF they refuse... I bang the back every time I adjust (waiting until they are asleep) and pull down on the seat top when moving... because I am 12.

I almost never fully recline my seat, because it is not comfortable for me and also I am considerate.

I am going to look for this knee defender device or make my own.

So you never fully recline your seat because it is not comfortably for YOU, nothing to do with the passenger behind you, and therefor refuse the passenger in front to recline his seat.

Bit asocial isn't it ?

IF they refuse... I bang the back every time I adjust (waiting until they are asleep) and pull down on the seat top when moving.

Passenger like that should be removed from a commercial passenger plane.

• Like 1

possum1931, on 28 Aug 2014 - 14:08, said:
h90, on 27 Aug 2014 - 23:36, said:
Lite Beer, on 27 Aug 2014 - 22:29, said:

Sounds a great idea.

I have no time for the ignorant people who within minutes of sitting down recline their seat and crush my knees.

It is not the people who are inconsiderate...they paid for a seat that be reclined without restriction.

It is the airline who arranged the seats to close to each other.

It is just a capitalist attitude to get more money out of you by making room for as many passengers as possible.

It's called business, they are the same on communist airlines.

A few rude posts have been removed from view. Please keep comments civil and within forum rules.

Oh dear. As the OP I do feel somewhat responsible for this, of course when starting the topic I never envisaged that people might disagree so strongly about this. whistling.gif

Sounds a great idea.

...then I guess you never recline your seat. All my overseas flights for many years now have been full. I WILL recline my seat. I simply can't sit for 14 or 15 hours in an unreclined one with the seat in front of me reclined.. I'll try and do it in a way that gives the person behind me a little extra time to get organized if they need it, but if they want to do battle, then so be it. So far, I've only had it become an issue one single time; I bided my time and got my seat back. The guy behind me didn't like it, and gave the back of my seat a few kicks like a petulant child, but I just laughed out loud and gave him a thumbs up. He probably sulked the rest of the way. Too bad. If he wants or expects more room for his knees, he can pay for a Business or First Class seat. I did pay for my seat including its reclining capability, limited as it is, and I don't weep when the person in front of me puts THEIR seat back. Someone behind has no right to restrict that, except during meal times, when the F/As will have everybody put their seat backs up. It's slightly annoying if you're not wanting to eat, but I can live with that.

• Like 1

These devices should be banned on all airlines.

For rude passengers who don't put the seats up during meals, that's the job of the flight attendants to tell them to do that, and generally in my experience they do their job.

The space situation is bad in economy but this kind of piggishness (cheating devices) is not the answer.

• Like 2

For rude passengers who don't put the seats up during meals, that's the job of the flight attendants to tell them to do that, and generally in my experience they do their job.

The space situation is bad in economy but this kind of piggishness (cheating devices) is not the answer.

No one needs the device period !! Just push the seat forward again from the top end. Trust me they all go no matter what Airline......!! You can do with your knees if you're strong enough

I don't like the full recline either. It's impossible to get to the toilet if the row in front is reclined too. My last flight I had a fully reclined seat in front of me, and someone lying down with their legs up behind me digging in my back, meaning there was nowhere for me to go. Regarding flying business or first class if you want more space is simply not a valid option for me. If I had the money I would be in those seats from the start. The extra leg room seats at the front usually is where the babies are so it's too noisy. Those and the exit seats are always the first to be booked too so it's difficult to get them. For now I just have to grin and bear it until I have more money.

just reading the article in the OP's link, and there are some further links beyond that one.

One concept brought out in the other article, was the view no one should be reclining-at-all during flights of less than 3 hours...

I've noticed that when flying on routes that are mainly Thai, Korea or Vietnamese people and under 5 hours people do not tend to recline seats at all - but if Indian, Malaysian, US or European the seat is whacked back during taxi-ing to the runway. I think it's related to relative belly size.

A few rude posts have been removed from view. Please keep comments civil and within forum rules.

Oh dear. As the OP I do feel somewhat responsible for this, of course when starting the topic I never envisaged that people might disagree so strongly about this. whistling.gif

Not your fault at all!!! It's a tough topic...

wai2.gif

• Like 1

I try to choose seats where I have plenty of room, but if my knees go into the back of the person in front, I just suffer it and make sure they can feel my knees in their back.

Exactly, I keep knee-kicking them until they move the seat more upright. It's the airlines' fault. If they are going to give you so little leg room, they ought to do away with the reclining ability.

craigt3365, on 28 Aug 2014 - 13:13, said:craigt3365, on 28 Aug 2014 - 13:13, said:

How do I reply to you, having "warned" me, and I'm not sure why as you didn't tell me. What the hell did I say that was offensive, perhaps as a "mod" the decent thing would be to give people some way to contact you. A general comment like the one you posted, does NOT give warning to a particular person. How do I ascertain it was to me? Apologies for posting here, but you give me no choice. As for "rude" since when has the word "agro" been rude?

Normally, I would hide this post as it violates forum rules:

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

Ones which very few members actually read, but in my warning to you I did provide a link. As the forum rules states, contact mods via PM, not posts in threads. As for "agro", that was only one item in question.

Again, please contact me or [email protected] for more details or conversations. No more posts in public regarding moderation.

wai2.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I find if someone in front of me is taking the mick I usually make it a point to grab hold of the seat from both sides every time I get up and also play knee tappy when I need to stretch my legs.

Little kids with little behinds, do silly things to please their minds. alt=rolleyes.gif>

I agree with Wellred. On a flight from London to LA, a couple who I shall refer to as Wayne and Waynetta Slob, fully reclined their seats at the first opportunity, directly onto my sister in law's knees. No gentle recline, a straight drop of the backrest. My sister in law suffered throughout the 12 hours.

On the return journey, it was my turn. Wayne was quicker than me when the seatbelt signs went out. It is impossible to stand up whilst leaning backwards for me. I found all sorts of methods to relieve the discomfort, from leg and knee movements to frequent walks, toilet trips etc. Each time I moved, I used his backrest for leverage. After a couple of sleepless hours he had the audacity to ask me not use his backrest. We came to an agreement on the pitch of his backrest for the duration after a 'discussion' on my failings of limbo dancing and his abject rudeness.

Some more interesting and humorous airplane gadgets here.....

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/ridiculous-travel-accesories-that-will-c1409151932617.html

Personally like this one though,

https://createaspace.net/

to stop spillage of gravitationally challenged people's muffin tops, arms etc into my zone....

Imagine a combo of the knee defender, B-tourist (http://www.zingarate.com/pictures/20140513/b-tourist-aereo.jpeg,) and the createaspace.....

Edited by mantu

Not your fault at all!!! It's a tough topic...

wai2.gif

And this is just tilting at cyber windmills

Imagine the real life acrimony at 30000feet

vil-ddispute.gif

Edited by Regyai

What happens if the person in the seat in front is asleep, you have had an overnight flight, you have pumped for the 5am breakfast, but the passenger in front wants to sleep through the event.

Not all passengers are rude.

There is no requirement for a passenger to place their seat in an upright position except during take-off and landing AFAIK

I can agree with 'The space situation is bad in economy but this kind of piggishness (cheating devices) is not the answer' though.

• Like 2

Ricardo, on 28 Aug 2014 - 11:10, said:

It's less of a problem, when everyone reclines their seat, to try to get some sleep.

It's no problem, when nobody reclines their seat, for take-off/landing or to 'enjoy' an airline 'meal'.

The problem arises when the person in-front reclines but you can't/don't wish to yet.

My own stratagem is to breath heavily on the top of their head, especially if I've been travelling for 24-hours plus, or have recently eaten curry !

It might be petty, but I enjoy being petty, to someone who I feel is being inconsiderate !

I fake a sneeze and/or a cough

A 'projectile yawn', followed by mentioning to one's neighbour that one just had an extremely-interesting holiday in Liberia, might also work in these Ebola-ridden times ? xsick.gif.pagespeed.ic.tVTSNn-2vr.png

Edited by Ricardo
  • Like 1

Reading posts here and how people feel there is NO RIGHT for people to recline seats I would like to state:

People pay for a seat THAT RECLINES. No one has the right to push knees in the back - hello Lite Beer! nor does anyone have the right to recline when food service is happening as most airlines ask people to be considerate.

I do not like the idea of these devices but there again I do not fly cheapy charlie airlines as I like to recline my seat.

If you have a problem with leg room, raise this EN MASS to the airlines and protest but if you want cheap fares, then you really should just suffer traveling on an AIR BUS as that is all airplanes are BUSES of mass transport for all of us.

If anyone uses one to stop me reclining I would trouble the stewards to move them or me. I pay for a seat not to stand or be kicked in the back.

• Like 2

On those occasions where I have to fly economy long haul, Thai airways are about the best for leg room. Luckily I also have the EVA Elite option when I fly alone, though they have effectively downgraded their cabin when upgrading business.

It would be acceptable to use this device on short haul flights – but not on long haul flights in my opinion.

Luckily I’m not a tall guy – so I don’t suffer too much if the one in front of me recline.

Sounds a great idea.

It is a stupid idea. The seats are made and sold to recline.

To push your knees into their back is inconsiderate.

• Like 1