"Knee Defender" on flights, what do you think ?

roamer

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be acceptable to use this device on short haul flights – but not on long haul flights in my opinion.

Luckily I’m not a tall guy – so I don’t suffer too much if the one in front of me recline.

Why would anyone worry on a short flight...........?

IF, a big IF, the little Defender clips are only on when the tray table meals are delivered, I support their use.

A lean back into my face as I am eating is a real bother. And it looks from ad photos that the clips can only go on when the trays are DOWN.

IF my tray is up, and others can be expected to have theirs up, I will look back, catch the travelers eye, and lean all the way back. If I do not, I get sick and have chest pains then and after because of the shape of my broken ribs.

Lay back is basically a right comes with the seat rental. Somebody clips my seat got problems with me.hit-the-fan.gif

Reading posts here and how people feel there is NO RIGHT for people to recline seats I would like to state:

People pay for a seat THAT RECLINES. No one has the right to push knees in the back - hello Lite Beer! nor does anyone have the right to recline when food service is happening as most airlines ask people to be considerate.

I do not like the idea of these devices but there again I do not fly cheapy charlie airlines as I like to recline my seat.

If you have a problem with leg room, raise this EN MASS to the airlines and protest but if you want cheap fares, then you really should just suffer traveling on an AIR BUS as that is all airplanes are BUSES of mass transport for all of us.

If anyone uses one to stop me reclining I would trouble the stewards to move them or me. I pay for a seat not to stand or be kicked in the back.

People pay for a seat, there is not mention of a "reclining" seat. This would be hard to guarantee considering, on some aircraft, the seats in front of the toilets, do not recline.

Sounds a great idea.

I have no time for the ignorant people who within minutes of sitting down recline their seat and crush my knees.

I usually then do not bother with the meal as I cannot open the tray.

I do make sure that I push my knees into their back for the entire journey.

I have no time for inconsiderate people.

If I see someone sitting behind me I never recline my seat.

It is a stupid idea. The seats are made and sold to recline.

To push your knees into their back is inconsiderate.

The other option is to sit in a contorted way that makes you uncomfortable. It isn't inconsiderate to sit normally even if it means the person in front get knees in the back if they choose to be inconsiderate. It's shared space. If you try to claim it for yourself and make someone else uncomfortable, don't expect them to make way for you.

If I encountered someone using this device during a time when it was normal to recline the seat (as on a long flight, not during a mealtime) I would likely ring the service button and report a "malfunction" in my seat. I wouldn't even bother trying to confront the greedy pig person trying to assert how "special" he is by purchasing some cheap contraption when I have paid a large amount of money for a ticket with a NORMAL functioning seat that reclines. If the flight attendant informed me that the seat is blocked and refused to make the pig person remove it, I would then ask to speak to the supervising flight attendant. If they also agreed it was the pig person's right to block my seat function, OK, I would accept that and never buy a ticket on that airline again. This is why I think this is much ado about nothing. Airlines WILL ban this cheating gadget. They will have no choice. It will piss off too many people and probably most people won't be as civilized about it as I would ... fights on airplanes will result as people confront the pig people themselves.

Cheers.

Wow, glad you are "civilised" I'd hate to think what you'd call people if you weren't. I must practice to become more "civilised."

It's really a problem that the airlines will have to work out. Just banning them is the best answer if they want to avoid fights in the planes and angry passengers. Those bringing the cheat gadgets know full well it is a cheeky thing to do to tamper with an airline seat so their "anger" will likely be less of a backlash than those denied a recline on long flights.

As far as the few seats on some airplanes that don't recline, get real.

Who do those seats go to?

Usually desperate people for ANY seat who are well aware of the bad seat they are getting.

Yes it happened to me once ... I was aware of it and agreed to it voluntary.

Also airlines often deeply discount those seats.

Money is a factor.

The cheating gadget costs something but it is a fraction of the cost of a long haul plane ticket, even in economy.

Edited by Jingthing

It's really a problem that the airlines will have to work out. Just banning them is the best answer if they want to avoid fights in the planes and angry passengers. Those bringing the cheat gadgets know full well it is a cheeky thing to do to tamper with an airline seat so their "anger" will likely be less of a backlash than those denied a recline on long flights.

Usually desperate people for ANY seat who are well aware of the bad seat they are getting.

Money is a factor.

The cheating gadget costs something but it is a fraction of the cost of a long haul plane ticket, even in economy.

So, you agree then, that you are sold a "seat", not a "reclining" seat.

If the person behind me would use such a device I would smash his knee caps.

I pay for a seat that can be reclined, so does the person behind you, so what gives him the right to restrict your comfort.

Nice...how kindly...thanks for adding kindness toward your fellow humans.

Perhaps, rather than setting one customer against another, an angry reaction might be directed toward the airlines who are packing the cattle class travelers into an increasingly uncomfortable flying experience.

Money is a factor.

No, of course I don't. Reread my post. The airlines are not going to accept these gadgets ... mark my words.

• Like 1

Had a window seat in a lengthy flight from Tokyo to the US...no one in middle seat...another person in the isle seat...every time I would dose off to sleep...the turd in the isle seat would move his foot all the way over to the window seat and punch my foot to wake me up...even if I had been snoring...and I wasn't...his actions were inflammatory...

The only thing that kept me from punching him in the nose was not wishing to explain to the family why I was arrested at the airport...

Anyone else have a similar experience...?

Had a window seat in a lengthy flight from Tokyo to the US...no one in middle seat...another person in the isle seat...every time I would dose off to sleep...the turd in the isle seat would move his foot all the way over to the window seat and punch my foot to wake me up...even if I had been snoring...and I wasn't...his actions were inflammatory...

The only thing that kept me from punching him in the nose was not wishing to explain to the family why I was arrested at the airport...

Anyone else have a similar experience...?

Shits are everywhere.............sad.png

• Like 1

did any of you ever got the seat at the back of the plane ? then you have no recliner and and a**hole in front of you goes all the way back, then you have hardly space to breathe ... and those last row seats are 0 baht cheaper

• Like 1

I have little problem with someone reclining their seat to a moderate degree. But I get intensely irritated by those who not only recline to the maximum but do so at meal servings, and spend much of the time wriggling themselves, the seat, and the attached tray, around.

It's down to the airlines not to ban this device but to sensibly restrict how far the seats will recline.

Sounds a great idea.

I have no time for the ignorant people who within minutes of sitting down recline their seat and crush my knees.

I usually then do not bother with the meal as I cannot open the tray.

I do make sure that I push my knees into their back for the entire journey.

I have no time for inconsiderate people.

If I see someone sitting behind me I never recline my seat.

That really sounds a bit daft. Folk pay for a seat to do what that seat does. If folk have a problem with that they should pay the extra and upgrade, really simple.

We are all individuals taking a trip that has nothing to do with anybody else whilst in that paid for device..thumbsup.gif

And people pay for a seat that does not include getting their knees crushed and their food and drink getting thrown over them because of the ignorant selfish actions of the prat in front.

Reclining seats should be banned. There is no doubt about that.

If the seat behind was occupied I would never recline my seat.

Maybe I am more considerate than some.

• Like 1

Wow...that brings back memories. I remember once I was on an international overnight flight and flew economy with my ex. Everything was fine but around the 3rd hour into the flight...just after eating and the lights dim down so you can either sleep or relax and watch a movie, I carefully reclined my seat as I always do since I also hate it when people have no concideration and jump into their seat and forcefully push their seat back. Anyway, I reclined the seat, but not all the way out of respect to the person behind me, and this sonofaBxxch punches the headrest of my seat in frustration for reclining my seat. I wanted to jump out of my seat and punch him, but my ex cooled me down and I let it ride, but I didn't move my seat and left it as I had placed it the first time. Well, 5 minutes later, he's jabbing at my headrest and I'm trying to stay cool, but I told my ex...if he punches my seat again like the first time, I was going to punch the guy. Just to cool down a bit, I got up and went to the toilet. While I was there, I told the flight attendant about what was happening and also told her that I wasn't going to take it anymore and that I will hit him. She didn't want anything happening, so she approached this guy and told him to stop it. She walked away and when I finally sat again, and before I could even get my seating, he punched my headrest so hard that I almost hit my head on the front seat and this is the GOD'S honest truth...I jumped out of my seat so fast that I don't even remember unbuckling my seatbelt...fists tightened and right when I was about to take a swing, the attendant noticed everything and she literally jumped and ran over the middle section with customers screaming to grab my arm. She stopped it...scolded the guy and I cooled. They tried to find other seats for us, but the flight was full and I had to live with this situation, but what turned out to be a royal pain in the beginning for me while the guy behind me enjoyed his flight with reclining his seat but not allowing me to do the same, turned into the best and most satisfying flight of my life. He now was scared because he didn't expect me to do anything...the attendants are keeping an eye on him and the last punch to my seat, broke the stop of the recline on my seat, so now, I had a seat like you would get on business class with full reclining. I swear it was hilarious because I didn't give a damn any longer and had no choice but to either keep it erect or lay it down. I reclined it the entire flight! It was reclined so far back that I could roll my eyes back a bit and could see his face...I'd give him a smile every once in a while just to piss him off. The next 10 hours were great for me and you can imagine how it was for this guy as he got tired of seeing my face and I can imagine it wasn't comfortable at all, that he spent the balance of his flight standing up in near the toilets.

I later told him, if you wouldn't have been such a prick, you would have never broken my seat and you could have had an enjoyable flight.

• Like 2

I recline my seat on long haul when i feel like sleeping. Out of courtesy to the person behind, i will return to upright position during meal times.

If you are behind and can't tolerate that, i suggest you fly business class. :P

Yes, I am always happy to pay $3,000US more, so that I do not have to object to people in front of me reclining their seats. I have so much money it does not matter. My budget is unlimited, as I am one of the 1%, and have cash to burn. Not. But, thanks for the incredibly helpful suggestion. Never thought of that.

Yes, I am always happy to pay $3,000US more, so that I do not have to object to people in front of me reclining their seats. I have so much money it does not matter. My budget is unlimited, as I am one of the 1%, and have cash to burn. Not. But, thanks for the incredibly helpful suggestion. Never thought of that.

DAD ... at long last I've found you!

I thought you were lost to us.

Me and the Granddkids want to visit ... can you pop your FF Points into my account please?

I've always wanted to be up the pointy end of the plane ... laugh.png

A little common courtesy from those who MUST recline their seats in way of warning as well as not reclining during f & b service mixed in with a little common courtesy from those who feel it necessary to grab the seatback everytime they get up would go a long way....way too many hotheads on airplanes who seem to be looking for some kind of confrontation.....

I suspect that one day there will be no more reclining seats in economy period....for me that will be just fine as I rarely recline mine anyway and I sure don't want to get in the middle of some feuding childish adults that can't sort it out with out getting violent.

Yes, seats must be in the "full upright position" for takeoffs & landings. It IS a safety requirement. Once the cabin crew have seated themselves for takeoffs, there's no one to enforce it really, but it IS the rule, and I've almost always seen it "enforced" by the F/As (i.e., passengers asked to raise their seatbacks) when they do their walkarounds checking seatbelts.

Usually, F/As will even wake sleeping passengers during meal service if their seat is reclined. Esp. if the person affected (i.e., the one behind) IS eating.

If there's not enough room, it's not the fault of the fellow passenger seated in front of you. Your gripe is with the airline, and you're just taking it out on the fellow passenger. If that happens to me, I do a little "taking out on" myself... Fact is, it's bad enough that there's as little room as there is, but if the seat in front of you is reclined, and you can't reclined yours, the situation is impossible.

There's nothing rude about reclining your seat. 'Don't see how you get through a 14+ hour flight without doing it, esp. when the seat in front of you is (which'll be true about 95% of the time). But a little courtesy in doing it is certainly reasonable. I try to be gentle about it, and back off a little while and give the person behind me a chance to settle when needed. And I follow the rules about NOT doing it during takeoffs & landings. I usually recline mine sometime during the climb. That your size is such that you can't tolerate the person in front of you reclining the seat they've paid for, or that you can't afford or don't want to buy a bigger seat in Business or First, is your problem, and you won't make it mine. I don't sleep all that well on long flights, so a little childish petulance from a d-head behind me doesn't actually bother me that much - 'seldom encounter such rudeness though.

Some airlines will allow you to pre-book a "preferred seat", usually for a little extra money. I guess that's another alternative to Business or First. Premium Economy also an upgrade option as well. But there are some givens in Economy Class, and this business of the seat in front of you (if there is one) being reclined is simply one of them. Just as are crying babies, mediocre (being charitable here) inflight meals, and people coughing up their cold & flu viruses for everyone to share. Ante up for Business & First, or grin & bear it.

JesseFrank, on 27 Aug 2014 - 21:57, said:

I pay for a seat that can be reclined, so does the person behind you, so what gives him the right to restrict your comfort.

You pay for a seat... nowhere does it say "reclining" seat.. in fact some seats do NOT recline.

Jingthing, on 28 Aug 2014 - 18:54, said:Jingthing, on 28 Aug 2014 - 18:54, said:
MediaWatcher, on 28 Aug 2014 - 18:24, said:MediaWatcher, on 28 Aug 2014 - 18:24, said:
Jingthing, on 28 Aug 2014 - 18:14, said:Jingthing, on 28 Aug 2014 - 18:14, said:

Money is a factor.

No, of course I don't. Reread my post. The airlines are not going to accept these gadgets ... mark my words.

I didn't say the airlines would accept those devices. But hey, with the controversy being caused, and another incident today, 29 Aug, caused by a recliner, what could happen is the airlines could remove reclining seats or restrict their movement.

Edited by MediaWatcher

JesseFrank, on 28 Aug 2014 - 21:13, said:
wwest5829, on 28 Aug 2014 - 18:51, said:
JesseFrank, on 27 Aug 2014 - 21:57, said:

Nice...how kindly...thanks for adding kindness toward your fellow humans.

Perhaps, rather than setting one customer against another, an angry reaction might be directed toward the airlines who are packing the cattle class travelers into an increasingly uncomfortable flying experience.

So you consider it a kindness to your fellow humans when forcing them to sit upright for 14 hours by using such a device, only because you don't like they recline their seats ?

Strange understanding of kindness you have.

Jesse..."kindness" goes BOTH ways, at the beginning of the flight your seat is upright, when you recline YOU change the environment. Consideration to others if NOT your forte.