Spot checks after clearing customs. More frequent now?

dabhand

A couple of times in the last 3/4 months I've been pulled over after clearing the customs lane and heading towards the escalators.

I usually have a stuffed duty free bag on top of the trolley along with computer bag and either a small wheeled bag or backpack. The duty free bag probably catches their eye, but I usually have loads of chocolates plus one carton of cigarettes.

Today arrived on the Egypt Air flight from Cairo and guy took me over to the small area in the back, near the bank kiosks. Am sure he was disappointed when he looked into my duty free bag! Asked me what was in my computer bag - laptop! Then sent me on my way.

Reason why I'm asking is that I have been passing through with similar bags, virtually on a monthly basis, for the last 6/7 years. Normally I travel on Etihad but occasionally Egypt Air (only if Etihad is full - Cairo/Abu Dhabi sector), both being flights that can attract attention from customs. But only recently have they earmarked me.

I am aware that recent pronouncements indicated customs were stating that limits on value of items being imported were to be more stringently enforced. However, this seems to be the usual run of the mill checking actions.

Any others experiencing greater scrutiny from our 'friends' in customs?

Maybe a warning for those who may be bringing in cigarettes in excess of the allowance - the financial pain could be high!

• Like 1

If you are not doing anything wrong then what is the problem?

Yes, no problem for me. Had walked past the x-ray machine without being stopped - that being the norm. But just a heads up for any who may be thinking about bringing in more than the allowance. If they are imposing more spot checks on travellers after exiting the customs area then it may be worthy of comment.

The guy that stopped me yesterday appeared legit. I had no problem with the experience as I knew I was clean. There were a couple of other passengers inside being given what appeared to be a thorough check. Suitcases open, items being taken out, etc.

I usually get some cash out of the SCB ATM located there when I arrive and normally have a glance inside the customs place, just being nosey!! It rarely has any action inside it. Not so yesterday.

• Like 1

Dabhand,

Although I have never been stopped or searched yet, and I say yet!giggle.gif , I always remove my duty free drink from its bag and put it in my hand luggage. I always feel carrying a duty free bag through is a sort of advert for them, just my personal preference.smile.png

Also, as a cautionary note, my card was skimmed using the SCB branch that you mentioned in the airport.sad.png

• Like 1

You are saying you are quite happy with two or more ' customs officials ' opening your case and emptying it on the floor in the arrivals area with dozens of people milling around.....interesting

• Like 1

More spot checks, I do think so but I have never been checked after clearing customs.

News has been circulating for some time that customs is going to strictly enforce the allowed value (10,000 baht) of personel items purchased abroad exempt from custom duty. Some netizens have complained that it is too low considering today's economics so a 100,000 baht limit is being considered but I don't know if it has been approved yet.

I do notice women who dress fashionably and carry brand name bags are most often targeted for random checks.

I'm assuming they suspect these women to be carrying lots of shopping spree goodies with values over 10,000bht that are taxable for duty.

I was accosted by two gents following Customs, and asked if had any cigarettes. After I replied "no", they asked if I'd mind them looking. Following their inspection, they apologized for the inconvenience. Not a big deal.

They're not Customs officers though they do sometimes claim to be, probably because that's what they think people will understand.

They are officers from the Excise Department or Samprasarmit. They've been around since Don Muang was the main airport always and are only concerned with alcohol and tobacco.

There are 2 ways to attract these guys attention. First is a bulging duty free bag and the second is smoking just outside the terminal building with luggage next to you.

I have been told that co-operation between these guys and customs is not the best hence the unusual system of being approached once in the public area.

I have wondered myself what would happen if the passenger were to refuse being checked. I'll try it one day if they ever stop me and report back.

• Like 1

Does it happen at Don Muang also ?

It can happen at every international airport.

They have the authority to do this checks all over the airports grounds and in many countries within a certain distance from the airport.

I know that they do what they want anyway anywhere as I know that i would pay a cheap bribe to sell back to their kennel, but i am asking if lately it happened at Don Muang, which I don't think so.

Does it happen at Don Muang also ?

It can happen at every international airport.

They have the authority to do this checks all over the airports grounds and in many countries within a certain distance from the airport.

I know that they do what they want anyway anywhere as I know that i would pay a cheap bribe to sell back to their kennel, but i am asking if lately it happened at Don Muang, which I don't think so.

Yes it is actually happening at Don Muang but at a much smaller scale then Suvernabhumi.

Way pay a bribe ? unless you are in violation off-course in which case they are their right and you wrong.

They are fully legit to do the checks everywhere on the airport grounds.

i got wheeled into the x ray machine. i was carrying a big cardboard box that I checked in.

after the x ray she asked me to open the box. I had 500 toy koalas in there.

"whats this for?" she asked

"for my wedding" i replied

and off I went

Edited by eeeya

For me it's a problem, these corrupt people upset me and should not even talk to me !

So in your opinion nobody from Immigration, Police, Government Officer are allowed to talk to you as they are according to you corrupt.

Better stay at home then.

• 4 months later...

I was stopped last night after passing customs on my arrival from Dubai. I was carrying a Dubai duty free bag which looked quite full.

The guy approached me and asked to see in my bag and asked me if I was carrying cigarettes. I said no I wasn't, told him they were chocolates and opened the bag to show him. He smiled, said "thank you sir" and waved me on my way.

It's obviously not a scam as so many have complained as they were in uniform, they were polite, and they were doing their job and my bag did look like it had a few cartons of cigarettes in it. But, I'm wondering, why do they stop you after you've already passed customs? Why not as you are going through where the X-Ray machines are? Is there a reason behind it? Or is it just extra proof that you intentionally smuggled as you passed all the way through the green channel?

Edited by josephbloggs

• 2 weeks later...

I was stopped a few days before Christmas. Being familiar with the airport, it being the world's fourth largest terminal building and having long legs, I set off on quite a stride towards the SIM card booths a good way down the concourse.

I didn't get very far before a pair of polite, uniformed gentlemen asked to check my bags. Clearly they have quick reactions. They took me a short way to a small room/office, not especially sealed off from the rest of the airport, but apparently dedicated to this purpose.

They didn't seem disappointed when my copious duty free bags turned out to only contain chocolates and Champagne - more disinterested, politely waving me on my way.

Edited by fbf