Extremly Important Warning for Foreigners Coming/New To Thailand

manxcay

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

misbehaving due to drunkeness can get you in trouble anywhere

I think you've misunderstood the point of my post, it doesn't have to involve being drunk but I do think you need to be exceptionally careful in those situations.

OP, thank you very much for your advice.

I was just about getting ready to go to Thailand, but after reading your post, first thing tomorrow morning I'm going to cancel my trip.

So, is it soooooo bad there?

Are Thais so violent and kill people everyday, for not respecting their culture?

Do they usually overcharge for drinks and then beat you up?

Do they all have guns on them?

Oh, thank you OP, you have saved my life.

You can sleep, peacefully tonight knowing that you saved another farangs life.

Mock if you want Coastas, but the news here on ThaiVisa is proof that Farangs need to wise up if they don't want to end up like some of the less lucky ones did.

I think you've misunderstood the point of my post, it doesn't have to involve being drunk but I do think you need to be exceptionally careful in those situations.

well , ive been here for years and none of that has happened to me or my friends. except the ones who were drunk and argumentative.

• Like 1

Thank god not everyone loses control and becomes a total jerk when drunk - funnily enough many westerners seem to think that being a jerk when drunk is not even the jerk's fault !!

LOL

Steering clear of any drunk people of any nationality is a good idea.

And if you know that you behave funny when drunk, either don't get drunk or GTFO from any place where other drunk people are, especially Thais of course.

And I really don't know why this is an extremely important warning!

Rather common sense.

I have limited sympathy for people getting in trouble because they lack common sense.

Edited by manarak

well , ive been here for years and none of that has happened to me or my friends. except the ones who were drunk and argumentative.

Being "argumentative" is an example of what I mean. Don't expect Thais to feel the same way about it as you would expect the average westerner to. As I said the "loss of face" is what you need to be aware of.

Even if it did go as far as a fight in the a western situation, it would probably end when one guy gets knocked out, but I've heard so many examples about Farangs getting viciously battered and worse.

I've heard it said that "Thais fight to kill", and I don't take that lightly now.

Being "argumentative" is an example of what I mean. Don't expect Thais to feel the same way about it as you would expect the average westerner to. As I said the "loss of face" is what you need to be aware of.

Even if it did go as far as a fight in the a western situation, it would probably end when one guy gets knocked out, but I've heard so many examples about Farangs getting viciously battered and worse.

I've heard it said that "Thais fight to kill", and I don't take that lightly now.

then stay out of bar fights. a good idea anywhere.

Of course it is. But a Farang could easily misjudge the situation, and end up too deep in it all because he failed to factor in the Thai cultural aspect.He might just think he's getting into a shouting contest of some sort and it will probably end when he "wins" the argument, but I'd strongly advise not even to let it even go that far.

Of course it is. But a Farang could easily misjudge the situation, and end up too deep in it all because he failed to factor in the Thai cultural aspect.He might just think he's getting into a shouting contest of some sort and it will probably end when he "wins" the argument, but I'd strongly advise not even to let it even go that far.

and how exactly would a newcomer be able to speak thai and win an argument?

It could be in English...

and these thai tough guys know english? lol

@OP,

Its all about demographics for what you think the warnings should be heeded. Quick 3 areas that come to mind are Pattaya, Phuket and some seedy parts of BKK. Thailand is a BIG place. Once outside the heavily congested tourist areas, what you mentioned just does not happen. <deleted> do people always base what happens in those places as being the norm? People need to get our more.

• Like 2

Please STOP already...

I was told 2 things by and old friend when I first went to Thailand , don't get involved in drugs and don't make a Thai lose face , I though that was two simple rules and I stick by them oh and don't get invoked in a Thai guy arguing with his lady ..

• Like 1

Agreed, exceot your rec. to only go to places geared towards f~rangs. Almost all of the deaths occur in tourist oriented places like the southern beach "paradises" or BK/Pattaya/CM. In the out of the way spots in Issan u would really have to go out of your way to have problems as locals like u being there for the most part (if not actually treating you kike visiting royalty) and if anything untoward happened to you the authorities would look bad, so unless u are really asking for it, they would severely punish violence against foreigners.

• Like 2

I was told 2 things by and old friend when I first went to Thailand , don't get involved in drugs and don't make a Thai lose face , I though that was two simple rules and I stick by them oh and don't get invoked in a Thai guy arguing with his lady ..

Lucky you got that advice.

I didn't even know about "face" before I went there, its even harder when there's not really an exact equivalent in the western culture.

Edited by manxcay

Lucky you got that advice.

I didn't even know about "face" before I went there, its even harder when there's not really an exact equivalent in the western culture.

lol! go into a sports bar near a football or hockey stadium and start mouthin off to the locals and see if thats true! or better yet , try a black bar or native indian bar! lol

• Like 1

The Thai prisons are full of those who didn't want to lose face.

People say you should never argue because you lose merely by arguing with someone, this is of course complete horseshit.

Thai's pull guns out and blow each others heads off on a daily basis, it's a violent society and there's plenty of uneducated morons (even those who graduated) who go around looking for a good reason to kill someone, saving face is just an excuse they use for their actions.

One example is the policeman who cut a womans arm off with a knife - this is the kind of people you're dealing with.

post-44895-0-89277000-1409420360_thumb.j

The hero who 'saves face' will still sit in prison for 10-20 years scraping by on meagre handouts from the state and whatever food his family can spare.

At least they saved face though.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

Never got in any situations with Thais they are fairly straight forward people and often fair... Act like a bell end you'll get your ass kicked, where as in western countries people are mainly all talk, Thais are more action when angry... Its about respect, give respect.. remember where you are and you'll be fine. Those who get mouthy or rude when drunk shouldn't be in Thailand, they should be in a western bar giving it all talk. Thais grow up learning how to fight and don't like to talk much... I've seen very large western and Russian guys get wasted by very small Thais purely because they acted like they probably do back home. Overall Thais are good safe people and very loyal if you build up a good friendship and don't act like a dick.. I have many good thai friends.

http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=s6-308IcSGY

Edited by ryanhull