Fuel delivery or ecu problem Nissan SR20 DET ?

tomtaylor1

Recently had installed into my Nissan SR20 DET Greddy Turbo TD06-20G with Sard injectors, a new F-Con HKS gold colour ECU. This was tuned to run on 91 gasohol, but the engine will not rev to more than 5000rmp max in third gear hard throttle, since have had LPG installed with a higher output regulator, same problem persists.

Have been told it is the ECU, but on the other hand it is the fuel pump, this needs to changed to a higher rate pump, if this is the case what PSI rated pump should I install.

The LPG, can any thing be done here.

Any information would be gratefully received, thank you in anticipation.

Tom

Well the fuel pump is not related to the LP so obviously there is either 2 identical unrelated problems or there is one problem effecting both systems, so now you have to figure what will effect both systems equally, due to the odds I'd go with the latter.. I would say in that case it is more likely to be the ECU, but let me understand something? Is it that you had an SR20 DET already in your Nissan and then you had the turbo installed? That's what I'm understanding in your post, seeking clarification. If you had the turbo installed after years of mileage on your car already that could be a major issue with blow by and lost compression..

The OP said that he'd had a new HKS ECU installed..."Recently had installed into my Nissan SR20 DET Greddy Turbo TD06-20G with Sard injectors, a new F-Con HKS gold colour ECU"... nothing about putting a turbo onto an old engine.

If the car was running ok before the new ECU and nothing else has been done then obviously the ECU is the problem. If it is an F-Con V Pro, has it been set up with a 5000rpm rev limit or an incorrectly set fuel cut control?

What actually happens at 5000rpm, does it simply not rev any further or is it hesitating like it running out of fuel ?

Strange that it is doing it with 2 different fuel systems, defo sounds ECU related. Have you taken it back to the person who tuned it and asked ?

SR20DET (come standard as turbocharged) fitted to Nissan Silvia.

To understand your problem, you have to trace back:

First of all HKS gold box is a (Standalone ecu) called HKS FCON ----this said there is many version (3.2, 3.3 etc).

Greddy TD06-20G, decent turbo for a 4cyl motor as you have.

Gasohol fuels is not a good idea for "performance orientated engines" never the less even though it has been tuned to run with 91* your supporting parts may not be able to handle it well.

Consider that the SR20 is dam old right now.....so expect to start seeing rubber seals damage and so on....anyways this does not solve your problem.

Running LPG, while i can understand you are trying to save cost no real performance engine will ever run it. No.1----know what you paid for (get the list of components done---and what is the flow rate, what psi is the regulator set at? Pump is critical and what injector CC are you running?)

no.2---most critical your engine has not been tuned for LPG, you MUST tune it.....

will not rev past 5000rpm in 3rd, the main reasons for this is either the tuner has put a rev limit (which is 99.99% unlikely) the most likely of causes is the fuel delivery is not enough especially at higher gears (higher loads-----higher boost).

Wow you have had your share of problems with this Tomtaylor1.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/734665-nissan-sr20-det-turbo-engine-can-run-on-lpg-also-turbo-setting/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/739022-electrician-required-to-remove-damaged-f-con-piggy-back-ecu-reinstate-sr20det-ecu/#entry8043057

There is a Dyno on Sukhumvit road opossite soi Siam Country club entrace... it is behind the gym, maybe take it there and have it sorted properly before you start melting pistons.

They are pretty good, they do the dyno work on our BT-50 race trucks and Mazda 2 race cars.

Edited by Spoonman

The engine was tuned on the road before the LPG system was installed, cannot say whether it did rev over 5000rmp or not.

The engine already had the turbo installed.

Tom

Thanks Tom, I guess you noticed I'm just trying to come up with possible reasons for your issues as well..

PhilipM They've been using gasohol for decades now in motorsports for high performance applications, everything from drag cars to stock circuit racing and recently the same for LP and using it in STOCK class autos again with plenty of Hp gained but as you say the car needs to be tuned for both..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Don't use LPG on a high performance engine. You'll blow it up.

What a load of poppy cock. If it blows up it is because it is not tuned correctly, plenty of turbo charged cars out there running on LPG.

Here is a 1300hp 4.0 straight 6 daily driver Mustang for starters.

• Like 1

What a load of poppy cock. If it blows up it is because it is not tuned correctly, plenty of turbo charged cars out there running on LPG.

I was referring to his sr20 det.

That mustang has had a fortune spent on it with forged everything.

We are talking about a budget build obviously.

The 420hp unit above had minimal money spent and is running e85, they can be tuned to any fuel

• Like 1

No reason why a budget build SR20 can't be tuned to use BBQ juice. Like I said if it hand grenades it will be because it was not tuned correctly.

BTW that Mustang is a stock block Ford EA Falcon 6 cylinder engine (de-stroked to 3.8 litres) with a set of pistons and rods.

I have a feeling that run is with it on E85... it still ran an 8 on LPG though.

http://www.boostedfalcon.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23765

Edited by Spoonman
  • Like 1

That much BBQ Juice would bugger my steaks, they'd be cremated before I got back from the fridge to the Barbie with my next cold beer.

• Like 1

Hi All, thank you for all the information, Taking the car to be re-tuned Wednesday.

Been in touch with Atiker LPG head quarters IN Turkey, they in turn contacted Bangkok who are going to get in touch with the installer of the system to see what system installed and see if anything can be done.

Regards Tom

Hi All, took my car to be re-tuned Wednesday, unfortunately it did not get that far, contacted the guy to let him know, he sent a couple of his local friends to assess the situation, the cam sensor was replaced, now revs to 6600rmp third gear hard acceleration, he will be in Pattaya for Bira, will call to my home to re-tune.

Regards Tom

In our business, which uses many tractor-trailers, dozers, excavators, etc. I would estimate that around 90%, if not more, of all engine management system failures can be ultimately traced to a bad ground or a faulty sensor.

Well worth the money to get a computer to read the computer - not cheap but a proven time saver.

Hard to find in LOS tho'