Just moved back to the states after 5 years. Sticker shock.

zierf1

The largest part of most budgets is housing and Thailand is half or less than half of what is spent in the USA on housing.

There is no way around it. Housing is cheaper in Thailand. The only possible argument is the old chestnut about owning. If you want to get into that argument again go ahead but it's been done a thousand times on Thai visa and is not relative to cost. Cost is cost. Ownership issues are a separate issue.

Not necessarily so! Many ....and I mean MANY homes in the US are less than $100,000 (3 million baht Thai) Some as low as $32,000 (1 million Baht) ....and not just in Poe Dunk USA....Examples ...beach towns in Florida, Augusta Georgia, the Carolina's etc....

Comparable to Thailand (check out the real estate site called Zillow)

One area Where the USA outshines Thailand is the price of Cars. .....Honda Accord USA....$30,000.....Thailand.....$70,000 is just an example...Car prices are triple that of the USA....trucks ...another story.

USA also has great healthy food at reasonable prices.....If comparing quality, ambiance and freshness the USA wins ...Even my wife commented on the Thai food in America as to why it was sooooo delicious ...fresh ingredients! and the price was reasonable ....$7 (220 Baht)

So all in all difficult to compare apples to oranges.....but if price is the only factor Thailand wins some and loses some ....

Edited by beachproperty
  • Like 2

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lived in America for a year back about 5 years ago. It all really depends on where you live on how much you need to spend. My apartment was just over $1,000 US but beautiful and had everything. You could find same in Bkk but the cost would be much higher.

Things like wine are sooooo much cheaper in the US. A nice bottle is $10.00 where exact same kind here is $25.00.

Strawberries you can buy for $1.00 a quart during season picking your own, Thailand about $5.00 for a pint. Blueberries are also a fraction of the cost in the US. So many things on sell at Walmart and if buy produce in

Season and freeze it is unbelievable how little you spend. You can also use coupons in the US and save tons of money.

I live here because I like it not because I save money.

• Like 1

The largest part of most budgets is housing and Thailand is half or less than half of what is spent in the USA on housing.

There is no way around it. Housing is cheaper in Thailand. The only possible argument is the old chestnut about owning. If you want to get into that argument again go ahead but it's been done a thousand times on Thai visa and is not relative to cost. Cost is cost. Ownership issues are a separate issue.

Not necessarily so! Many ....and I mean MANY homes in the US are less than $100,000 (3 million baht Thai) Some as low as $32,000 (1 million Baht) ....and not just in Poe Dunk USA....Examples ...beach towns in Florida, Augusta Georgia, the Carolina's etc....

Comparable to Thailand

One area Where the USA outshines Thailand is the price of Cars. .....Honda Accord USA....$30,000.....Thailand.....$70,000 is just an example...Car prices are triple the USA....trucks ...another story.

USA also has great healthy food at reasonable prices.....If comparing quality, ambiance and freshness the USA wins ...Even my wife commented on the Thai food in America as to why it was sooooo delicious ...fresh ingredients! and the price was reasonable ....$7 (220 Baht)

So all in all difficult to compare apples to oranges.....but if price is the only factor Thailand wins some and loses some ....

Walk to the bay and fish (and actually catch something). Five minute drive to the beach.

Quiet, with noise ordinances enforced. Excellent infrastructure.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/857-Webster-Ave-NW-Port-Charlotte-FL-33948/43533009_zpid/

• Like 1

I like reading stories about how smart everyone is. I'm not very smart. That's why I like living here.

I'm not very smart. I just respected my dad and followed his advice.

Sometimes one can be just lucky. The whole reason I am living in Thailand is that I once offered to help someone off an airplane not knowing that he was the Founder of one of the biggest Foundations in Thailand Under Patronage of HM The King.

I like reading stories about how smart everyone is. I'm not very smart. That's why I like living here.

I'm not very smart. I just respected my dad and followed his advice.

Sometimes one can be just lucky. The whole reason I am living in Thailand is that I once offered to help someone off an airplane not knowing that he was the Founder of one of the biggest Foundations in Thailand Under Patronage of HM The King.

Lucky, but you were still smart enough to take advantage, unlike these guys ...

One thing I will say about Thailand is that you can live here for 20k baht a month whereas there is no way you could do that in the US without living in the worst conditions.

Depending on location, I think you can live better in the US (higher standard and healthier) if you are spending around $2,500.00 or more a month.

• Like 2

One area Where the USA outshines Thailand is the price of Cars. .....Honda Accord USA....$30,000.....Thailand.....$70,000 is just an example...Car prices are triple that of the USA....trucks ...another story.

The average price of a new single-family home in NAHB’s 2011 survey was $310,619, down from $377,624 in 2009. The average finished area of a single-family home declined from 2,716 square feet in 2009 to 2,311 square feet in 2011. http://eyeonhousing.org/2011/11/cost-of-constructing-a-new-single-family-home-in-2011/ $80/sq ft for both 2009 and 2011.

Compare to http://www.thaiappraisal.org/english/the2001/default.php

The average price of a new single-family home in NAHB’s 2011 survey was $310,619, down from $377,624 in 2009. The average finished area of a single-family home declined from 2,716 square feet in 2009 to 2,311 square feet in 2011. http://eyeonhousing.org/2011/11/cost-of-constructing-a-new-single-family-home-in-2011/ $80/sq ft for both 2009 and 2011.

Appreciate the statistics....but what's your point?

My point was that there are PLENTY of homes available in the States for under $100000.

The average price per home statistic gets skewed out of whack by all the $20 million dollar plus homes sold or even just the $1 million dollar homes! Have to be more specific and as such I indicated to look at the Home listings on Zillow where whatever area you pick (well..... many) homes can be found for under $100,000.

Here's one in San Francisco where prices are outrageous for under $60,000

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/542-North-Pt-San-Francisco-CA-94133/2105362436_zpid/

Edited by beachproperty
  • Like 2

Yes but what oil are they cooking/frying with on these stalls? My guess is palm oil which is the cheapest & least healthy.

If you're trying to live your life in Thailand without consuming Palm Oil, you would drive yourself crazy.

It's used in every cooked item where shortening is used.

Cakes, biscuits, pies, fast food, all based around Palm Oil.

Bread too, if they grease the bread tin.

I didn't say I was trying to avoid it. Just stating why stall food is cheap as they generally use the cheapest/crappiest ingredients.

Not really true.

If you want to see where the ingredients for food stall meals come from visit the fresh markets before daylight and you will see the owners picking out the best fresh from the farms veges and meat.

Good to know because every now and then I get the insane thought of moving back myself.

OP, looks like you made a mistake, but you can correct it. Believe me, you're not the only one.

Mistake is right. I live around Americans now. What a bunch of ... well, can't post it here. These people are mildly annoying. If you like living around boring, LOUD, bible reading, fast food eating patriots who've never set food outside their own country, America is the place for you. Unfortunately, I'm not in those categories. rolleyes.gif

They're not all like that, not by a long shot. Of course it depends on where you are in America...

• Like 1

^ Or the evening markets where they buy the cheap stuff that has been sat there all day & not sold earlier! Yes, I am sure some stalls do buy early in the morning at the markets but you can't possibly know that they all do. I've had the shits plenty of times to back this up!

The point I am getting at is that people who are on a budget & insist on eating from cheap stalls all the time, shouldn't kid themselves that it is top quality grub. Nothing wrong with it now and again.

My point was that there are PLENTY of homes available in the States for under $100000.

The average price per home statistic gets skewed out of whack by all the $20 million dollar plus homes sold or even just the $1 million dollar homes! Have to be more specific and as such I indicated to look at the Home listings on Zillow where whatever area you pick (well..... many) homes can be found for under $100,000.

I would not live in a home that was priced below $200,000 in the States. I live in Thailand the same or close to the same way I lived in the States. In Thailand it costs me $20,000 per year in the States it cost me $120,000.

With these exceptions. 1. Bigger and newer home in Thailand. 2. Younger and nicer wife in Thailand. 3. I don't have a full time mia noi here (I'm getting old). 4. Better health care here and 100% less time waiting (yes I have health insurance). 5. Better TV here. 6. Better computer here. 7. I eat lobster and scallops here once a week as opposed to once a month in the States. 8. Better furniture here. 9. Go out a lot more here as the dancing and entrainment here is much cheaper. 10. Travel more here because hotels and transportation is much cheaper. 11. In the States I took 3 antidepressant pills daily. Here none.

The OP is in his 30s and probably hopes for similar options in later life - but of course they are paid for with savings.

If you don't mind me asking, did you finance that life change and the options you have now with money earned in Thailand or elsewhere?

Good to know because every now and then I get the insane thought of moving back myself.

OP, looks like you made a mistake, but you can correct it. Believe me, you're not the only one.

Mistake is right. I live around Americans now. What a bunch of ... well, can't post it here. These people are mildly annoying. If you like living around boring, LOUD, bible reading, fast food eating patriots who've never set food outside their own country, America is the place for you. Unfortunately, I'm not in those categories. rolleyes.gif

Perhaps if you live in Alabama:)

I suggest getting out more in the US.

To OP: Do what you need to do to make 100k+ per month here in Thailand. Then you can live very well and save lots too.

It's just about everywhere, sir. facepalm.gif

And yes, I am working on getting my income up. My flimsy internet income was enough to pay the bills in Thailand but not in the US. It's why I'm going back. 40,000 is crap here and I have to get a job to support myself.

What did you expect when living on 25% of the medium income in the US... Why do you think people move to Thailand in the first place?

I would not live in a home that was priced below $200,000 in the States. I live in Thailand the same or close to the same way I lived in the States. In Thailand it costs me $20,000 per year in the States it cost me $120,000.

With these exceptions. 1. Bigger and newer home in Thailand. 2. Younger and nicer wife in Thailand. 3. I don't have a full time mia noi here (I'm getting old). 4. Better health care here and 100% less time waiting (yes I have health insurance). 5. Better TV here. 6. Better computer here. 7. I eat lobster and scallops here once a week as opposed to once a month in the States. 8. Better furniture here. 9. Go out a lot more here as the dancing and entrainment here is much cheaper. 10. Travel more here because hotels and transportation is much cheaper. 11. In the States I took 3 antidepressant pills daily. Here none.

Don't disagree with anything you said .....MY point was THERE are places where homes are cheaper in the US. I also am from there (San Francisco) and have lived now in Thailand for 10 years.

I live on the Beach here and building a Boutique resort (5 one bedroom suites and I studio suite) for $150,000 all in. Couldn't even come close to doing that in that States......OH wellbiggrin.png

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/542-North-Pt-San-Francisco-CA-94133/2105362436_zpid/

What's the catch?

Take a look at the map at the bottom of the listing.

What's the catch?

I'm sure its a come on! There are NO houses in San Francisco that look like that at that price point. And North Point gerenally has only condo's.

No flippin' way that house is in North Point near Fishermans Wharf...constrution is wrong as well as the skyline for SF's oldest area....look more Arizona construction but might be somewhere in the Sacramento valley area....the plants, soil, building is all wrong for SF... .an apartment in NP will run you 4,000 USD.rent.....maybe Vallejo you can find something of you like risking your life by going outside....and that would be at 2x the $60,000 example house minimum.....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Like 2

What's the catch?

I'm sure its a come on! There are NO houses in San Francisco that look like that at that price point. And North Point gerenally has only condo's.

That is not the house at that address on Google Earth Street View. South West, but not SF.

Edited by Shot

No flippin' way that house is in North Point near Fishermans Wharf...constrution is wrong as well as the skyline for SF's oldest area....look more Arizona construction but might be somewhere in the Sacramento valley area....the plants, soil, building is all wrong for SF... .an apartment in NP will run you 4,000 USD.rent.....maybe Vallejo you can find something of you like risking your life by going outside....and that would be at 2x the $60,000 example house minimum...

Is Vallejo still that way? I was there 40 years ago and it was that way then.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

No flippin' way that house is in North Point near Fishermans Wharf...constrution is wrong as well as the skyline for SF's oldest area....look more Arizona construction but might be somewhere in the Sacramento valley area....the plants, soil, building is all wrong for SF... .an apartment in NP will run you 4,000 USD.rent.....maybe Vallejo you can find something of you like risking your life by going outside....and that would be at 2x the $60,000 example house minimum...

Is Vallejo still that way? I was there 40 years ago and it was that way then.

Yes - there's a triangle of cities Vallejo, Oakland, & Richmond that are always in the top 10 most dangerous cities in the US...one year were 1-3-5....the areas around them are infested problems too and you still are probably a minimum of 200K for a house...had a fellow ball player shot dead in Oakland - why? because he was white and driving through it....the Marines will not allow recruiting stations there because of the risks....the OP is going to find USA is not the same as when he left.....in one bay area city at a stop light (mixed, mostly asian area - but mixed) I had a group of black toughs circling my car taunting me in a 2 ton suv and I'm not little a little guy either but I'm while like a light bulb - I could have over reacted and moved the car quickly but probably would have been hosed with bullets with them saying I tried to run them down.....there's a full on ethnic war zone going on in many areas of the US - you do not hear about it unless it's white on black - never the other way.....it's gotten worse since the man in charge seems to want it that way...giving license.....have some friends retired from Chevron - the refinery they say it was not unsual at all to be shot at driving to and from work.....(within 15 straight miles of SF)......A LOT of the prices you pay there are not $$$$$ - witness the huge amount of anxiety meds being RX'd in the US.....glad I'm here.....

Edited by pgrahmm

I paid slightly more for a very similar house in Thailand last year.

S.F. is a great place to live, shame that house isn't really there.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 2

So we can conclude that while here, you lived wholly like a Thai?

No cheese or wine? No single malts or cream cheese? No Doritos? No rib-eyes? No bacon and sausage for breakfast? No tacos or burritos? All of which are still cheaper in the States.

Living "frugally" can be quite a yawn inducing existence.

I understand your sentiments, but me, I'm not interested in "getting by." I'd rather work hard and play hard. I've got five years here non-stop myself, and can't wait to go back, both to work at a very nice salary, and to eat, eat, eat.

It's all relevant.

And to add,

No computer, smartphone or Hi-fi gear, all much cheaper in the USA.

No bicycles, cars or m/cs, all cheaper in the USA.

What about fruit juice, that has to be cheaper than Thailand.

Apples and oranges, way more expensive in Thailand.

Yep, and if it breaks, you take it back to Walmart (or anywhere else) and they exchange it. Many of us here have had poor experiences with warranties. They are generally a waste of time.

When I started coming here, I bought a MacBook Pro in the States. Visited Thailand for a month without being able to connect to the internet. I took it back in to the Apple Store. No hesitation. No hassle. They exchanged it six weeks from purchase date. That one had a problem, too, and a week later they exchanged that one.

I always get refunds in the UK without any problem,my Thai wife thinks it's hilarious,I once got two replacements and eventually a cash refund for a cordless mouse,which I had for 3 months,my Thai wife almost fell about the floor laughing! and could hardly believe 1 week warranties exist only in Thailand!

• Like 1

OP you lived in thailand did you work in thailand and earn thai wages?

Because of the exchange rates between the USD and bht the costs would seem much cheaper for you.

I got by on about 40,000-50,000 baht a month from my internet biz. I had TONS of money for fun. There was never a dull night. I lived like a Thai and blew the rest on vice. Could never do that here.

If America is such a sh#thole, and Thailand so great ....Why move back to the US???whistling.gif

The reason I may have to go back is to give my kids some opportunity at a quality education! I love it here!