Offshore worker denied visa

I am also on 28/28 rotation so thought I would get a 12 month non imm O visa. I applied through the Hull Consulate who were brilliant. However the visa was denied by the Thai Embassy in London. No reason given other than they said to get Tourist Visa. Every box was ticked, the team in Hull checked everything and sent to London. They were quite apologetic when they informed me.

I have just finished a contract in Thailand. WP cancelled. I used a new 2nd passport. I had prevoiusly entered Thailand on visa exempts.

On what grounds did you apply for the 'O,' out of interest?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am also in oil off-shore but not quite at that high salary.

I am married to a Thai and have done my non-O multi based on marriage in Singapore app 5 times now.

2 times she rejected my bank statements from Thailand because they were too old. I then went to the HSBC branch located very near the Embassy and got a statement from them, approved each time despite the money sits in Singapore.

Living in Malaysia, no thanks man, check YouTube regarding muggings there, hours worth of it, motorbikes bag snatchers there are worse than Pattaya man.

Singapore is only a nice place to live if you have lots of money to burn, lots. Not much nature there as well, well the Zoo, ha-ha.

Well OP since you are getting married no problems anymore.

• Like 2

Do agree with your comments about Malaysia.

Its best avoided and will only get worse. My wife has fallen victim to the police in KL, getting extorted to the sum of 400 Ringgit (4K Baht), despite producing a valid Malaysian Dependants Pass I.D. card.

Guys outside my jobsite in KL getting robbed, even in the middle of the day

Mark my words, the country is on a downward slide.

• Like 1

On the money the OP is on, Singapore is a realistic option.

Great banking in Singapore. Why should it matter where I go? I'm not doing anything dodgy. I've done it there before, I've done it in Penang. They can refuse me if they wish, but imagine other people, with less financial means, it must be worrying that you could jump through all the hoops and lose all the time, money, and airfare if someone is having a bad day. I feel for them. I posted this specifically to help someone else avoid hassles. I require no help with the issue. The people working at the Singapore embassy were very helpful and polite to me. They just thought if they gave a visa I would not be let in at the airport.
  • Like 1

"If Thailand no longer wants money from tourists like me, I can afford to holiday in any country in the world."

"The Filipino lasses can have some of my money instead."

Why is it ALWAYS about the money with you guys? Do you not have any other socially redeeming values? Perhaps that's why Thailand doesn't want you.

What a totally stupid comment. It is all about tourist money Which keeps this country running. Don't believe me? Check it out.

Man, Bershire is Wright. Tourism income is just a small % of the gdp.

The rich don't care about us and the poor ppl.

OP I hope you will get your visa elsewhere.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 4G LTE

• Like 1

On the money the OP is on, Singapore is a realistic option.

Great banking in Singapore. Why should it matter where I go? I'm not doing anything dodgy. I've done it there before, I've done it in Penang. They can refuse me if they wish, but imagine other people, with less financial means, it must be worrying that you could jump through all the hoops and lose all the time, money, and airfare if someone is having a bad day. I feel for them. I posted this specifically to help someone else avoid hassles. I require no help with the issue. The people working at the Singapore embassy were very helpful and polite to me. They just thought if they gave a visa I would not be let in at the airport.

I am not being critical my friend, far from it.

I have lived in Singapore for 11 years and it is so straight forward and efficient, I also bank there. Agree with your comments.

Also make more money than you tongue.png

"If Thailand no longer wants money from tourists like me, I can afford to holiday in any country in the world."

Why is it ALWAYS about the money with you guys? Do you not have any other socially redeeming values? Perhaps that's why Thailand doesn't want you.

What a totally stupid comment. It is all about tourist money Which keeps this country running. Don't believe me? Check it out.

Man, Bershire is Wright. Tourism income is just a small % of the gdp.

The rich don't care about us and the poor ppl.

OP I hope you will get your visa elsewhere.

Its really not that small a percentage --the Gov says its about 10 percent but that mainly hotel bookings and resorts. Doesn't take into account all the food sold by street vendors, souvineers bought, bar girls paid for and the money spent in the bars , niteclubs , Walking Street and sent to G/F's.nor the condo's rented and bought as well as homes bought in Thai girls name. A lot more than 10 percent.

• Like 2

10 Visa runs in a year! Sounds like you spent most of the year in Thailand which doesn't leave much time for work does it? Perhaps the Consulate staff were on to something!!

Seems like you don't know what an offshore worker is. Some are on 14/14 rotation meaning 26 entries to Thailand per year.

• Like 2

Boy, you must have been absent when they were passing out the IQ. This situation has NOTHING to do with tourism. This is about visa runners. Would you like me to explain it to you more slowly?

• Like 1

Immigration has nothing to do with your bank balance. Monks with no money or assets can easily get visas for thailand, however according to the OP highly paid oil workers don't. That's the reality.

Sure there are people that would offer great contributions to Thailand but the way the rules stand at the moment - which seem 50 years out of date - don't provide any kind of visa entitlement for offshore workers on rotation

Thanks. I know Singapore embassy is tough, but I had to come here for other reasons as well. The well known, "rude" lady was not there, but still no luck. This is a very good example of the lack of conformity. I wasted much of my very valuable time to follow the rules, and was to no benifit. My time of work is 10 weeks. One again I will end up trying to do a visa run, as my flights are already booked for my return to work.

I too work offshore and last month, made the move to get the O visa (marriage). I recommend that you go to HK. The Embassy there is very helpful and friendly and they processed the visa within 24 hours. If you PM me, I can send you the details of the fixer I use in BKK to get the next step sorted, which is the 1 year visa. This service cost me 25K (just under) and covered all visa fees, bribes etc and I did not have to go to Immigration office. Its legit, so don't worry about that. If you do it yourself, you will be running about, back and forth to Immigration wasting your precious days off.

I just reread the OP. At his income level he should at the very least look into the Thailand Elite Card and the benefits that come with it for 500k THB. However, if married the Non-O is a much cheaper option.

The visa may be cheaper, but marrying a Thai lady ain't a cheap option thumbsup.gif

Believe me......

A cheap option? I wasn't aware marrying a lady from your home country was a cheap option either!

• Like 1

Elite card? I'm wealthy, not stupid. Rules could change at any time, then what? If it gets to be any more of an issue to visit, I'll simply go elsewhere.

I thought the same way as you and got married.

I am not saying you are stupid.

But I was. I thought I new everything and I went from being happy to feeling I made the biggest mistake in my life. Only consolation is that I hear there are quite a few others who feel stupid to have got married when it was not necessary. If only there had been something like that Thai visa Elite at that time it would have saved me five years of hell that started about 5 minutes after the marriage ceremony.

• Like 1

10 Visa runs in a year! Sounds like you spent most of the year in Thailand which doesn't leave much time for work does it? Perhaps the Consulate staff were on to something!!

Seems like you don't know what an offshore worker is. Some are on 14/14 rotation meaning 26 entries to Thailand per year.

Well said

• Like 1

ALWAYS about the money? Sanctimony? Sure, some people spend money to live, not just to exist. Spending money to live is especially important to workers whose jobs place them in isolation for long periods of time. Did you read their words? "Afford to holiday," gee, do you think that means he thinks he's on vacation? "Filipino lasses can have some of my money." Well, let's see; what would a farang man on vacation in Southeast Asia do? Leely?

Thanks. I know Singapore embassy is tough, but I had to come here for other reasons as well. The well known, "rude" lady was not there, but still no luck. This is a very good example of the lack of conformity. I wasted much of my very valuable time to follow the rules, and was to no benifit. My time of work is 10 weeks. One again I will end up trying to do a visa run, as my flights are already booked for my return to work.

I too work offshore and last month, made the move to get the O visa (marriage). I recommend that you go to HK. The Embassy there is very helpful and friendly and they processed the visa within 24 hours. If you PM me, I can send you the details of the fixer I use in BKK to get the next step sorted, which is the 1 year visa. This service cost me 25K (just under) and covered all visa fees, bribes etc and I did not have to go to Immigration office. Its legit, so don't worry about that. If you do it yourself, you will be running about, back and forth to Immigration wasting your precious days off.

It's legit? Leely?

• Like 1

I have lived here 10 years and have a few friends who work off shore. Probably the most carefree spenders Thailand receives, mostly due to the nature of their job and the income they earn. I went to the floating market yesterday looking into getting the wife a unit there. The place was packed with Chinese tour groups taking pictures of everything they could see. I was at the exit gate and huge coach load passed me on their way out, not one of them had a plastic bag with something inside it they had purchased in the market, i was quite amazed. One of them threw some paper onto the floor so i busted through them all and picked it up, went straight over to the scruffy git who threw it and placed it in his hands to rapturous applause from the Thai onlookers.

Good job it was paper and not a massive hucked up gooey snot!, you hero you, you never know you might just get your own TV show like that guy from the Shitehouse Family

Edited by Briandajew

Yup, east coast of MY is pretty sweet, agree 100%. Enjoyed Kuantan quote a bit, lots of coast to explore there. Under the radar a bit, I think, at least to the non-offshore crowd.

Laza Tron,

Try Malaysia. Beautiful place and the best Chinese food in the world. The beaches north of Kuanton on the East Coast of Peninsular Malaysia are beautiful. When I was working temporarily there there was a three month visa given at the airport coming in.

I work offshore. And I had been living in Thailand for 9 years. I was refused entry 2 Months ago, so I got a flight to the Philippines. I love it there, and I WILL NOT be returning to Thailand. The Filipino lasses can have some of my money instead. And they can all speak good English. No such issues with Visas, and Beaches there would knock spots on anything Thailand has to offer. So its a no brainer and win win, me,.. And, lose lose for Thailand...... Simple eh ?

"So its a no brainer and win win, me,.. And, lose lose for Thailand...... Simple eh ?"

How will Thailand ever cope?

​Thailand probably wouldn't cope if every offshore worker who lived here moved somewhere else. I've been here 9 years too, and all of my friends that I know who live here work offshore, apart from a few that are retired.

I work offshore. And I had been living in Thailand for 9 years. I was refused entry 2 Months ago, so I got a flight to the Philippines. I love it there, and I WILL NOT be returning to Thailand. The Filipino lasses can have some of my money instead. And they can all speak good English. No such issues with Visas, and Beaches there would knock spots on anything Thailand has to offer. So its a no brainer and win win, me,.. And, lose lose for Thailand...... Simple eh ?

"So its a no brainer and win win, me,.. And, lose lose for Thailand...... Simple eh ?"

How will Thailand ever cope?

No single person accounts for the entire economy, and no-one is saying that. It's a straw man.

Rather you sum the effects of each departure to get a total loss.

I take by your post that you are either ignorant of arithmetic or that you are sarcastically wishing misfortune on your host country.

If it is the former than I pity you. If it is the latter than please stop Thai bashing - it's against forum rules.

Thailand would love your money, although it really is a drop in a large Ocean.

If you do go ahead and get married you would have more options.

I am sure your Thai fiancé would prefer you to come to Thailand,

There are of course many places with beaches to holiday, if I had pots of money I would like to live in the Caribbean.

Nearby Malaysia (Penang), Indonesian Bali, Vietnam.

Let us hope there are no problems with the Visa waiver entry.

I would forget the fiance and leave, I hate the Phils and really don't have an answer for you but while I love my wife dearly, even as married I find the whole thing absurd and if I was still only dating here, be done with Thailand. I had years before lost my patience with the place, then I met her and decided to stay. Its hard to call it a mistake, but it is a penality I pay to be with her. We will move to US when time is right, spending cool season here.

I have been hassled at immigration over minor crap in bkk. They are ugly peiple, perhaps not as bad as elsewhere, but ugly. Being married gets you nothing save for a visa and the marriage visa is a hassle. You might find that equally frustrating as this experience.

Govt could do far, far more to help marrieds and in turn help Thai families and Thailand. Nope! Don't do it.

Don't listen to polyannas oh...you met a bad one. You have one life, you work hard and have minimum holiday. Don't spend it with ugly people insulting you. Don't spend big money flying hither and yon grubbing and begging, seriously.

Go elsewhere.

Edited by Mencken

Just wondering what country passport the op is traveling on??

Singapore has long been one of the worst Thai embassys for good visa service.

It seems they are targeting certain countrys for the immigration crack down.

I have not had any issues entering or departing Thailand with my USA passport

With just 30 day stamp and now can get the 30 day extention if needed.

Was told buy immigration official Usa passports no problem 30 day stamp is ok...

That being said I do travel with all the required documents proving my income and on ward air ticket if requred but never been asked for by thai immigration.

Edited by glassdude007

I don't disagree with your point. But your math needs work.

1 entry every 28 day cycle is 13 per year.

I don't disagree with your point. But your math needs work.

1 entry every 28 day cycle is 13 per year.

Correct, thanks.