Get the bike in my name?

dagling

In Pattaya you need to get a Residence Certificate from Immigration (one for each motorbike you buy, bank account you open, condo purchase). You'll need photocopies of your passport, 2 passport sized photos (both can be done at the shop beside the Immigration office). I also had to provide a copy of my lease agreement and a signed copy of my landlord's ID card.

When I bought a new bike I gave the Residence Certificate to the shop. They did (whatever they do) and I I think it was a couple days later I had the book (and a couple months later until I had the white license plate).

When I bought a used bike, I gave a Residence Certificate to my buddy at his bike shop. He took that, the receipt for the bike and the book and had it registered in my name (took a day or so I think).

You can buy a moto (and open a bank account) even if you just have a 30 day stamp, unless there is less than a week remaining on it (or close to that). My dad tried to open a bank account in '08 but only had a week left on his 30 day stamp so Immigration wouldn't give him a Residence Certificate. When he came back 6 weeks later with his O-A in hand, no problem. Got 1 Certificate to buy a bike, another to open a bank account.

• Like 1

Have lived here for 5 years on O-visa, have bankaccount for 5 years, have built a hotel, and they still won't allow me to own my 2 cars and 2 motorbikes.

First i have to show them that i have been written out of my own country.

Which i believe is not true. Owning a car has nothing to do with the number of residences i have.

Why are they making it so difficult?

In Pattaya you need to get a Residence Certificate from Immigration (one for each motorbike you buy, bank account you open, condo purchase). You'll need photocopies of your passport, 2 passport sized photos (both can be done at the shop beside the Immigration office). I also had to provide a copy of my lease agreement and a signed copy of my landlord's ID card.

When I bought a new bike I gave the Residence Certificate to the shop. They did (whatever they do) and I I think it was a couple days later I had the book (and a couple months later until I had the white license plate).

When I bought a used bike, I gave a Residence Certificate to my buddy at his bike shop. He took that, the receipt for the bike and the book and had it registered in my name (took a day or so I think).

You can buy a moto (and open a bank account) even if you just have a 30 day stamp, unless there is less than a week remaining on it (or close to that). My dad tried to open a bank account in '08 but only had a week left on his 30 day stamp so Immigration wouldn't give him a Residence Certificate. When he came back 6 weeks later with his O-A in hand, no problem. Got 1 Certificate to buy a bike, another to open a bank account.

i bought a nouvo from my friend 4 years ago but found that i cannot get it changed into my name unless both me and my friend go to the registration office together to sign it over..but he returned to uk never to return...anyone know how i can get it in my name? i pay the road tax and insurance every year, but cannot change the name ...annoying

If you do it in Pattaya, what is the process involved? Seems like a easy solution for those on a tourist visa.

It is easy. I have done it 3 times. Tourist visa or longer, "Resident Certificate from immigration...250 baht now. Your passport and money.

i bought a nouvo from my friend 4 years ago but found that i cannot get it changed into my name unless both me and my friend go to the registration office together to sign it over..but he returned to uk never to return...anyone know how i can get it in my name? i pay the road tax and insurance every year, but cannot change the name ...annoying

Not all DLT's operate in the same way, so that can be a problem sometimes.

When we changed the name of a bike into mine the owner had signed the book on the last entry page.

He then previously got 2 forms from his DLT and got them filled out, he needed someone Thai to help him do it.

We took the book and paperwork to my DLT, we then had to fill out some more forms and they gave us a receipt and 2 weeks later the book was returned in my name.

If it's that important to you I would suggest that you get the forms needed from a DLT get them filled out and sent them to your friend in England if possible to sign and return.

Don't know of any other way it's done have you explained the situation to your DLT.?

Have lived here for 5 years on O-visa, have bankaccount for 5 years, have built a hotel, and they still won't allow me to own my 2 cars and 2 motorbikes.

First i have to show them that i have been written out of my own country.

Which i believe is not true. Owning a car has nothing to do with the number of residences i have.

Why are they making it so difficult?

This doesn't sound right, where were you told about this "written out of your own country"?

I'm on Non-Imm O (7 years in Thailand) and I have a car and a bike in my name with their blue and green book. Note you need to pay cash otherwise it's more difficult if you require financing (but can still be done).

I got the residence certificate from immigration for the car and had a yellow book when I got the bike, went to DLT myself with sellers and no issues to transfer car and bike and put my name in the tabian lot.

I will buy a bike next year. In the ads they offer bikes with a green or blue or yellow or "no book" is? what´s about with the colours?

What documentation the seller has to present me?

If I buy a second hand one in Bangkok but I live in Pattaya where have I to go for registration in my name? Has the seller to come with me to register it?

I will buy a bike next year. In the ads they offer bikes with a green or blue or yellow or "no book" is? what´s about with the colours?

If I buy a second hand one in Bangkok but I live in Pattaya where have I to go for registration in my name? Has the seller to come with me to register it?

I think you got the ads wrong, bikes have either a green or no book.

A bike with no book is useless unless you only use it on private land, it can't be insured and the cops can confiscate it if stopped on public road.

A car book is blue.

A yellow house book is something you can get (with difficulties) if you own a house/condo and this book is nesseary if you want permanent residence certificate and the yellow book will allow you to buy/sell bikes/cars without going to immigration each time.

If you buy a bike in BKK you can just go with the seller to the nearest DLT but if you buy it from a dealer they will sort everything out for you and you don't have to attend but only give them the necessary papers.

I found that it's up to company that you buy it from too. In Phuket, I went to one place and they wanted a work permit and another place just organised everything for me, all I needed was a photo and my passport but it was a few years ago now.

Green book is like the title to a bike; blue book is for car.

Yellow book documents your residence in a home.

Transfer may take place in Bangkok, for example using a bike showroom as agent.

It is not necessary for a farang to register the bike in his own provence, i.e. in Pattaya.

I think you got the ads wrong, bikes have either a green or no book.

A bike with no book is useless unless you only use it on private land, it can't be insured and the cops can confiscate it if stopped on public road.

A car book is blue.

A yellow house book is something you can get (with difficulties) if you own a house/condo and this book is nesseary if you want permanent residence certificate and the yellow book will allow you to buy/sell bikes/cars without going to immigration each time.

If you buy a bike in BKK you can just go with the seller to the nearest DLT but if you buy it from a dealer they will sort everything out for you and you don't have to attend but only give them the necessary papers.

Hi 'guzz'

I don't mean to split hairs here and I understand that in Thailand it all depends who who deal with....on any given day....They make it up as they go along!

The 'Tabean baan' or yellow book also known as the house book..... for non-Thai and Blue for Thai is only to show where you live.......You do not need to own a property. If a tourist, your hotel or resort are meant to inform the authorities where you are.....If on a non tourist visa you are meant to get a house book.....Yellow, to show where you reside. It is well worth getting one.... Make life so much easier when combined with your passport for cutting a lot of bullshit out.

The biggest problem in Thailand is the Thais themselves don't know this or can't be arsed to do it and simple say........"can not".....Leaving poor old Farang not knowing what the hell the rules are.

Laters

I bought my first bike three years ago and the dealer asked me the yellow book, five months ago i bought a new bike this time the same dealer didnt accept the yellow book but asked resident certificate from immigration (cost me 500 baht) here the rules change day by day,

Edited by Supertuktuk

I bought my first bike three years ago and the dealer asked me the yellow book, five months ago i bought a new bike this time the same dealer didnt accept the yellow book but asked resident certificate from immigration (cost me 500 baht) here the rules change day by day,

"here the rules change day by day"......How true......I got a new bike about 3 months ago.......He tried that <deleted>....But we did it on the yellow book....Maybe they have a deal going on with immigration. Who knows!

t should be, here nobody knows the rules and just makes them up as they go, and that include government workers.

The dealer just made up his own rule, as a yellow book is exactly what a residence certificate tend to proof, and that is your address in Thailand.

Question to all these guys with a lot of experience: Does in Thailand a kind of "yearly vehicle inspection" exists? Thanks for informations !

For bikes after the 5th year, for cars after the 7th year.

Needs to be inspected before you can renew tax registratio.

It consists of a very thorough inspection, that includes checking the frame number, brake lights and emmission.

Question to all these guys with a lot of experience: Does in Thailand a kind of "yearly vehicle inspection" exists? Thanks for informations !

Yes. Once a bike reaches 5 years old it must be inspected before you can gain the new tax or compulsory insurance. Usually it's done at a nearby independent garage. Not that it's much of a test though, they barely look at it. Cost is about 60baht to get the certificate.

For bikes after the 5th year, for cars after the 7th year.

Needs to be inspected before you can renew tax registratio.

It consists of a very thorough inspection, that includes checking the frame number, brake lights and emmission.

It might be thorough for cars but it certainly is not for bikes. Not in Bangkok anyway.