Right Girl - Right Family ... How do you know when you have found them?

David48

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From the title....you don't know in your head, you know in your heart.

From the OP...(nice story BTW, and yeah you got good inlaws)... call me a hopeless romantic but the chances of someone you are in love with having a really nasty family...well, she couldn't possibly share genes with that sort, surely? And if the family is not worth knowing, so be it, don't be close to them.

• Like 2

Thanks for the great tale. What model is your old jalopy?

Yes it is important to get both parts right, girl and family. My family is a large extended one. It seems there was this old rich guy about 100 years ago around here. He bought about 1-2000 rai, and had many mia nois, and loads of children with all of them. Everyone around here is related through him. Many now get their wives and husbands from another Tamboon 60+ km away to avoid marrying second cousins etc.

In short it is possible to get the family wrong but rarely the entire family wrong. I've got some nasties and some gems in my extended family. Mechanics, builders, carpenters, police, every trade is represented.

• Like 1

Nice story. My father always told me to meet the girl friend's mother and if you like her then marry. He was set in the belief that girls become their mothers. Funny that out of his 3 wives his in laws hated him.

If living in Thailand, I think that having good in laws is very important as usually they play a very big role in people's life.

I do believe though that being a good son (inlaw) and husband is they key.

• Like 2

So....when you go back to OZ.....how much you selling the old bomb for?

I've sort of grown fond of the 'old bomb'.

We'll be keeping it for a few years yet as there are many stays planned for Thailand and the Farm, while close to Bangkok is quite remote, plus the access road is not suitable for Taxi's

For those interested ... It's a SEAT Cordoba. Basically a French body, hung over the VW Polo Chassis and engine.

P4070368LLR_zpsb4e9cd6a.jpgP4070370LLR_zpsa81e281f.jpg

The old man is a tough nut. Ex-Navy, had his lower leg blown off by an IED in southern Thailand.

Been chipping away to win the battle with him over the years ... now there is respect on both sides.

• Like 1

I have to admit that my mother has been beastly to my Thai wife on occasions but the wife's parents have always been charming towards me. They are both starting to have health problems now and I willingly help out.

It's the luck of the draw and cuts all ways.

I find it strange the water pumped "seized" without warning, this throughs some doubt on your story. You would normally get weeks, if not months, of warning, the bearing makes a lot of noise. One thing about Thai "mechanics" many have no idea about belt tension, their way to adjust is to make it as tight as possible, this put to much pressure on any bearing resulting in premature wear.... but still giving considerable warning.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thanks for the great tale. What model is your old jalopy?

Yes it is important to get both parts right, girl and family. My family is a large extended one. It seems there was this old rich guy about 100 years ago around here. He bought about 1-2000 rai, and had many mia nois, and loads of children with all of them. Everyone around here is related through him. Many now get their wives and husbands from another Tamboon 60+ km away to avoid marrying second cousins etc.

In short it is possible to get the family wrong but rarely the entire family wrong. I've got some nasties and some gems in my extended family. Mechanics, builders, carpenters, police, every trade is represented.

Sounds like my girlfriend's village, most of the girls look alike.Does the village need another not so rich Falang to have a lot of mia nois.

• Like 1

To the OP...................Nice account of your thai family.Let me paint a completely opposite picture.Really a sad one.

I was very new to thailand,met a lady,after 2 years got married,after 2 years we separated.

During that 4 year period....FIL died of cancer age 66. stepmother hung herself,step daughter killed in a motorbike accident.One uncle shot and killed another uncle..

I find it strange the water pumped "seized" without warning, this throughs some doubt on your story. You would normally get weeks, if not months, of warning, the bearing makes a lot of noise. One thing about Thai "mechanics" many have no idea about belt tension, their way to adjust is to make it as tight as possible, this put to much pressure on any bearing resulting in premature wear.... but still giving considerable warning.

Really? This is what you got out of OP's post?coffee1.gif

• Like 2