With free visas, Thailand tells Chinese tourists 'please come back soon'

webfact

Thailand is desperate for tourists at this point.

No.

And while free visas may get more first timers here, there actually is not a lot of returning Chinese.

So what? There are 1.3 billion Chinese. The sex tourists will still be returning. smile.png

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have to be careful.....Some of those Chinese might spend some MONEY in Thailand. How many years does it take a country to learn that tourism means MONEY AND JOBS. Thailand should throw its visa regulations out the window if it REALLY wants investment. This country could SWIM in money if it weren't obsessed with bureaucracy.

Yet when the Chinese GF went to get a visa, the visa agency said they couldn't get her one because she has too many 10-12 day trips to Thailand in her passport- about 3 a year since I've been here- 3-1/2 years.....

They claim a lot of tourist visas with her history are being denied at the Beijing Consulate. For her next trip, I told her to go to the consulate in person.

Still, she fits the textbook definition of tourist- comes in, stays 10-12 days, then goes home for 3-4 months- fresh tourist visa each time and never comes close to overstay.

good god, not more Chinese bike riders on the roads of Chiang Mai, they have all the driving skills and road sense of a newborn chimp!

This applies to the pedestrians, too. Three days ago one of those sheep crossed the street looking to the left while I was approaching with the motor bike. My front wheel slipped and I got off the bike not in the best way. I should have run her over. They should be told about left hand traffic in some countries, if they are too blind to see. :-[

P.S. My knee still hurts.

Wish I had a baht for every Thai or tourist who's wandered into the middle of the road or stepped out in front of me on my bike.

• Like 1

Can the thai immigration authorities please start doing random passport checks in areas like Huay Kwang, Ratchada, Thonglor, Chinatown etc as there are lots of Chinese overstayers who are living and working in Thailand and even Singaporean Chinese, Malaysian Chinese, Fillipinos, Koreans and even Japanese overstayers these days I have been told. Some blend in by speaking thai and acting thai. In areas like Huay Kwang and Ratchada like the Ideo Huaykwang Condo for instant, I have seen chinese renting 31 sqm condos with 4 to 6 people staying in them. The agents like Bangkok Residence and the condo management do not comply with Thai laws which make it mandatory to report to immigartion and the local police any foreigners who are staying in the building. I have seen many young Chinese operating businesses here in Thailand even at the Jatujak Market (I did not know that there were work permits that allow foreigners to sell at the weekend market or even to work in certain salad bars at Paragon (one run by the family of a so called patriotic Indian family employs only fillipinos serving staff...again did not know that workpermits were allowed for such professions).The thai immigration should start doing random checks in all condo buildings in Bangkok not only the low class condos but aklso the middle and upper end ones.

Please its not fair for farangs who abide by thai and immigrations laws and pay local taxes duly to see other foreigners doing things illegally and the authorities not catching them.

Really what an upstanding citizen you are,you should be given a medal,now do you really think that you yourself are so safe from being kicked out of the country?no foreigner is,think about that before writing your nonsense and while you are at it look up the word "kapo",because that's what you are.

There seems to be a divide on this issue here, and I'm personally of two minds on the issue. For that reason, I wouldn't go so far as to call someone a snitch or kapo, because I can see the reasoning in their position. I also appreciate that no-one is being obviously hurt by these people 'staying under the radar' (unless people are losing jobs to them or wages are being suppressed), and I feel empathy for some of them who go to other countries as a matter of economic survival.

My question to you and Darren, however, is what do you think about illegal immigration in your home countries? Do you apply the same logic of live-and-let-live there?

• Like 1

Interesting. The Chinese charge the same price for an American to visit China as America charges a Chinese person to visit America. Makes sense. I went with a Thai lady to China and I remember they charged her about 2,000 baht. Is it now free for Thai's to go to China? I also traveled with her to Vietnam and it was free for her to go there, no Visa required, but certainly one was needed for an American.

Inter travel for citizens of ASEAN within ASEAN is visa free.

Message to all Chinese "quality" tourists who spend nothing (except cheap flight/hotel all in one budget ticket) and do nothing but riding in huge bus loads from free of charge event to free of charge event: Don't take the OP serious, it was a typo - stay home! Thank you!!!!

Message to the peope in charge: Don't underestimate the backlash of further visa and immigration "sanctions" targeting western tourists, expats and investors who pumped shiploads of money into your country in the past twentyfive years!

Your bets are on the wrong horse!!! The result will be disastrous and you will feel the heat soon!

Edited by catweazle
  • Like 1

No one has been able to answer my question with confidence, that I have bought up several times.

Do mainland Chinese tourists pay the Thai price or the non-Thai higher price to enter attractions etc ?

They pay nothing, because they are either on all-inclusive trips or free of charge events. Hope that answers your question.

• Like 1

The Red Chinese are more fearful because they live under their government that they are genuinely fearful of.

I know a lot of white skinned Chinese.........most of them have no interest in politics as long as their living standards improve.

What has this got to do with travelling to Thailand for a holiday?

• Like 1

I remember reading an article in CM newspaper last winter. It related the results of a study conducted by CM university regarding CM residents attitude towards Chinese tourists Chinese tourists did not fare well. When I asked my Thai friends if the results were Accurate 100% said yes. Loud, rude, demanding, dirty were some of the adjectives most often attributed to Chinese tourists visiting CM. If you disagree don't attack me. I am just conveying the information.

Why not ask Europeans to come back ? They were being discouraged to stay or come to Thailand years ago before the average Chinese even left the farm or the noodle shop. I cannot figure out why Thailand is offering free visas to the mainland Chinese. They only stay for a few days then leave. Per capita they spend a pittance, it is only because they are invading the country in huge numbers that they are worthwhile to the economy. On the other hand Europeans, Australians, the English, Americans etc, spend larger amounts and stay longer, and were once the powerhouse of tourism in Thailand, sadly not anymore. They have been discouraged in so many ways over the last 20 years. And if you think about it a lot of the falang money goes directly into the hands of Thais in the lower income brackets, not the wealthy as does the Chinese money through five star hotels and big travel agencies. As in all countries, governments look after themselves, numerus unus prior.

I am very skeptical of a promotion campaign that specifically targets one population. It is skewed too much to the politically incorrect, as most other nation's tourist bureaus would see it (I will temper my words here).

You are highlighting the reality mentioned in the book 'How the West was Lost' by Dambisa Moyo.

The West was once the powerhouse driving the world economy, but no more - thanks to misguided policies over the past few decades.

Can the thai immigration authorities please start doing random passport checks in areas like Huay Kwang, Ratchada, Thonglor, Chinatown etc as there are lots of Chinese overstayers who are living and working in Thailand and even Singaporean Chinese, Malaysian Chinese, Fillipinos, Koreans and even Japanese overstayers these days I have been told. Some blend in by speaking thai and acting thai. In areas like Huay Kwang and Ratchada like the Ideo Huaykwang Condo for instant, I have seen chinese renting 31 sqm condos with 4 to 6 people staying in them. The agents like Bangkok Residence and the condo management do not comply with Thai laws which make it mandatory to report to immigartion and the local police any foreigners who are staying in the building. I have seen many young Chinese operating businesses here in Thailand even at the Jatujak Market (I did not know that there were work permits that allow foreigners to sell at the weekend market or even to work in certain salad bars at Paragon (one run by the family of a so called patriotic Indian family employs only fillipinos serving staff...again did not know that workpermits were allowed for such professions).The thai immigration should start doing random checks in all condo buildings in Bangkok not only the low class condos but aklso the middle and upper end ones.

Please its not fair for farangs who abide by thai and immigrations laws and pay local taxes duly to see other foreigners doing things illegally and the authorities not catching them.

If it bothers you that much and you obviously know where they all are why don't you report them to Immigration, you seem the type to do so

Are these people affecting your life in some way? I doubt it so what's your problem?

People like you knock me sick to be honest.

People like who make you sick? Oh I see, Law abiding ones.

And criminals and/or criminal supporters like you knock me sick.

Edited by quicky

No one has been able to answer my question with confidence, that I have bought up several times.

Do mainland Chinese tourists pay the Thai price or the non-Thai higher price to enter attractions etc ?

I can give you part of the answer based on personal experience with the GF.

If she dresses like a local and doesn't say anything- she will generally get the Thai price. Once she opens her mouth, it's the non-Thai price.

If she's with me, it's the non-Thai price. Except where my WP and Thai DL get me the local price. In those cases, I get the Thai price and we have to pay non-Thai price for her.

They're not picking on westerners with the non-Thai price.

Edited by impulse

TAT publishes breakdowns by country for the number of arrivals. A more interesting figure (but not easily available) would be average expenditure per diem. My experience is that Chinese visitors are generally at least as parsimonious as gap-year backpackers.

That said, I've met some extremely nice folks from the PRC. And also some I could well do without.

Why not ask Europeans to come back ? They were being discouraged to stay or come to Thailand years ago before the average Chinese even left the farm or the noodle shop. I cannot figure out why Thailand is offering free visas to the mainland Chinese. They only stay for a few days then leave. Per capita they spend a pittance, it is only because they are invading the country in huge numbers that they are worthwhile to the economy. On the other hand Europeans, Australians, the English, Americans etc, spend larger amounts and stay longer, and were once the powerhouse of tourism in Thailand, sadly not anymore. They have been discouraged in so many ways over the last 20 years. And if you think about it a lot of the falang money goes directly into the hands of Thais in the lower income brackets, not the wealthy as does the Chinese money through five star hotels and big travel agencies. As in all countries, governments look after themselves, numerus unus prior.

I am very skeptical of a promotion campaign that specifically targets one population. It is skewed too much to the politically incorrect, as most other nation's tourist bureaus would see it (I will temper my words here).

Er, yeah, "the Chinese spend a pittance per capita" and "the Chinese money through five star hotels" !! :)

It might be the case that the Chinese pay good money to stay in those five star hotels, which might actually make them 'premium tourists' !

And they are invading the country in huge numbers ? What, a bit like Brits and Germans going to Spain ? Yes, if they were invading Thailand in small numbers, well, they wouldn't be worth bothering with, there wouldn't be a point in targeting a very small nation and saying to them "we will give you visa free entrance to our country from today onwards". Now, a big country, we're talking 1.3 billion people here, it's the biggest market in the world, and Thailand wants a slice of this market. Thailand is trying to compete with London and Paris to get the Chinese tourists !

How about this ? If Thailand ever says "Americans and Europeans must pay for a visa to enter Thailand, even for a one week holiday, and Chinese can come in with no visa", well, yes, that is unfair, that IS discouraging Americans/Europeans. But to have visa free entrance for 'Westerners' AND 'Orientals' is basically having a level playing field. Maybe having visa free travel for 'Westerners' and making Chinese pay for a visa, well, that might be considered as unfair.

Yes, the size of a nation is important. What if Beijing said to Thailand "give Chinese citizens visa free travel, if you don't, we might discourage Chinese people from visiting Thailand, we will do a boycott of your nation". How will Thailand react to that ?

:)

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/chinese-tourists-abandon-vietnam-oil-035006035.html

Chinese tourists abandon Vietnam after oil rig row afp4.gifBy Cat Barton | AFP – Sun, Jul 20, 2014 04:50 BST
  • 8c01b6e63229708214507f5e9d5e3bc16fb5a634

For years Nguyen Huu Son has guided Chinese tourists around Vietnam's popular coastal city Danang, but a bitter maritime dispute between Hanoi and Beijing means he is now out of work.

Relations between the communist neighbours plunged to their lowest point in decades when Beijing moved a deep-sea oil rig into disputed waters in the South China Sea in early May, triggering deadly riots in Vietnam.

The rig has since been withdrawn. But the Chinese tourists have not returned.

Edited by metisdead
14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

good god, not more Chinese bike riders on the roads of Chiang Mai, they have all the driving skills and road sense of a newborn chimp! Lost count of the times I have had 1 of them stop in the middle of the road in front of me to look at a map, or even worse for no visible reason at all. Comes to something when Thais could teach them a thing or 2 about driving.

Right , just drive as quietly up behind them ,hopefully you have airhorns fitted to your vehicle , and blast them.

Giving them a wakeup call, i know they are dim. lol.

FYI~ This is Asia! Not Europe, or North America. Why do you blokes put so much time & energy, into mustered-up "cry-baby" complaints, about an economic reality that you have absolutely no impact upon (whatsoever), to begin with? Huh? whistling.gif

Edited by NativeSon360

Dear darrendsd....some skeletons in your closet? why so touchy when it comes to reporting people doing illegal things?

No Skeletons I just don't like snitches like you

Ive been wondering why Thailand appears to hate westerners... Its brats that have matured into victims who think the world revolves around them.

Can you please keep a low profile so the Thais dont think we are all same same you

Th0VLnX.jpg

FYI~ This is Asia! Not Europe, or North America. Why do you blokes put so much time & energy, into mustered-up "cry-baby" complaints, about an economic reality that you have absolutely no impact upon (whatsoever), to begin with? Huh? whistling.gif

Another dosage of reality! If the western tourist trade, or expat population in Thailand, suddenly dropped to zero,...... guess what? Thailand will continue to thrive, there will be no starvation levels (within the Thai population), but most of all, the westerners (or their ATM cards) would definitely not be missed!coffee1.gif

So if you " abide by thai and immigrations laws and pay local taxes duly" why do you care whether someone else is not? That's their problem, just stay in your own lane, mind your own business. You're getting upset over nothing and sound like a cry baby.

Dear darrendsd....some skeletons in your closet? why so touchy when it comes to reporting people doing illegal things?

No Skeletons I just don't like snitches like you

Don't start pointing fingers, sir! If you're posting anything, on this very public forum, then you are (yourself) a member of the "snitcher" realm. Capiche? coffee1.gif

So if you " abide by thai and immigrations laws and pay local taxes duly" why do you care whether someone else is not? That's their problem, just stay in your own lane, mind your own business. You're getting upset over nothing and sound like a cry baby.

clap2.gif

clap2.gif

In Thailand on vacation I stay at medium priced hotels 2400-2600 baht a night and they were full of Chinese tourist or business people. I think they do bring money to Thailand. From the few Chinese I deal with in business which tend to be engineers all say the wealth is not with the professionals but from the people who sold land and keep turning it over. A lot are the un educated with good business skills. I could be all wrong but I feel any tourist spends money.

Another dosage of reality! If the western tourist trade, or expat population in Thailand, suddenly dropped to zero,...... guess what? Thailand will continue to thrive, there will be no starvation levels (within the Thai population), but most of all, the westerners (or their ATM cards) would definitely not be missed!coffee1.gif

Foreign tourists receipts for thailand have been estimated at around $23 billion (for 2010 World Bank estimate). If suddenly it was $10 billion or $7 billion or even $5 billion less, yes it would be missed.

NativeSon360, try asking any Thai hotel operator they if they would be happy to have no income from western tourists anymore. Would they be happy will lower income?

Edited by Time Traveller

It is good business to attract Chinese tourists since much of the world does not EASILY grant Visas to Chinese tourists. The first world countries suspect they may be trying to illegally immigrate. Chinese tourists must prove that they have secure employment that they are returning to. They must prove that they have property in China. They must prove that they have close relatives not traveling with them. They must prove how much money they have in Chinese banks. Even with all these proofs they may be rejected by the host country.

Thailand has no such reservations because it is a country poorer than China and the Chinese are less likely to want to stay in Thailand.