Do you keep your router on 24/7?

Keesters

Router on 24/7  

288 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Do you keep your router on 24/7?

If you turn it off when not using internet why? To save power, release IP, other reason.

If you keep it on 24/7 why? Lazy to switch it off, downloading 24/7. other reason.

Personally I've always kept it on 24/7 but would like other peoples opinions/ideas.

Thanks.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turn off and unplug? I know people actually do this but has never been in my routine, or my parents - and we were not rich. At the cost of electronics today (almost free) can not see turning off modem unless it is for Green reasons. I do not turn off as grandchildren are still using WiFi long after my bedtime many nights.

No I don't.

When powering off the desk top pc the modem & router are normally powered off too and my UPS too.

The power supply for my last modem broke down, got a new for free from the i-net supplier. Later the modem went belly up, again got a new for free.

These things don't last forever and uses power when on so you are better off switching them off when not in use for longer periods of time.

I don't unplug my electric stuff and I am in the process of surge protect them and are thinking about getting some kind of lighting protection fitted in the house.

Edited by guzzi850m2

I used to power down both the computer and modem every night back on Win XP and ADSL. My computer cleared cache et al and ran faster the next morning. And I got a new internet connection which was faster. And when I first got wireless router, I found a neighbor using it before I had set up any security other than isolating access to my computer/LAN. So I turned it off at night so neither they nor anyone else would have as much time to try to get back in.

Now I have a new computer, Win 7, fiber, and secure router but continue the practice. Researching the subject, I can find not definitive reason not to.

The usual advice for an ADSL (Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line) router is NOT to turn it off as I shall explain below. But if your router or power adapter gets hot or costs a lot to run, then I'd certainly turn it off.

The signals arrive down the telephone line in two groups of frequencies. This is why you plug a filter into the phone socket (the dongle thing) so that the two outputs are well separated from each other in terms of frequency to reduce the interference between them. Lower frequencies are used for the phone and a higher frequency set is used for the router. Then you plug the phone into one hole on the dongle and the router into the other.

On the router side, the higher frequencies are further subdivided into another two groups. One group of frequencies is used for the uplink and another larger group is used for the downlink. The "A" in ADSL stands for Asymmetric, which is a technical word that simply means that these two groups are different sizes. If they were the same sizes, the connection would be called DSL instead. It is quite possible to buy a DSL service in some countries, and those connections have the same upload and download speed.

Only some of the frequencies in each of the two groups used by the router are in use at any one time, and some are kept spare deliberately. This enables the router and the telephone provider's equipment to decide between them periodically which frequencies in each group are least affected by interference.

So over time, by leaving the router ON you will get the best upload and download speeds available as the frequencies with the least overall interference are chosen for use. It's clever!

Ah, I just see another post from 'Noise' who uses a fibre connection. Now, the word 'Modem' is a shortened composite of the terms modulator/demodulator. The digital signals have to be made analogue to traverse the telephone line and so are sent as a modulated analogue signal. They get demodulated at the other end.

A fibre connection doesn't have a modem as it is entirely digital, but it's what everyone calls the intermediate box that's attached to the fibre because that's what they've been used to calling a box that makes a connection. Really, it's more of a line driver.

Better routers these days have a fibre router input on them so that you don't need the intermediate box. Better routers can also have telephone ports and digital connections for telephones, and I use digital telephony. So I don't turn my connection off because I use it for that and for many other things. These include an inward SSL link so that I can log on to my internal network and a secure router to router VPN connection that makes the family's computers seem to be local. There's also a USB port on the router so that I can store confidential files there on a memory stick instead of storing things in the cloud.

If I only used my fibre link for browsing, I'd probably turn it off.

The usual advice for an ADSL (Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line) router is NOT to turn it off as I shall explain below. But if your router or power adapter gets hot or costs a lot to run, then I'd certainly turn it off.

The signals arrive down the telephone line in two groups of frequencies. This is why you plug a filter into the phone socket (the dongle thing) so that the two outputs are well separated from each other in terms of frequency to reduce the interference between them. Lower frequencies are used for the phone and a higher frequency set is used for the router. Then you plug the phone into one hole on the dongle and the router into the other.

On the router side, the higher frequencies are further subdivided into another two groups. One group of frequencies is used for the uplink and another larger group is used for the downlink. The "A" in ADSL stands for Asymmetric, which is a technical word that simply means that these two groups are different sizes. If they were the same sizes, the connection would be called DSL instead. It is quite possible to buy a DSL service in some countries, and those connections have the same upload and download speed.

Only some of the frequencies in each of the two groups used by the router are in use at any one time, and some are kept spare deliberately. This enables the router and the telephone provider's equipment to decide between them periodically which frequencies in each group are least affected by interference.

So over time, by leaving the router ON you will get the best upload and download speeds available as the frequencies with the least overall interference are chosen for use. It's clever!

Below quote In support of above .http://www.broadbandspeedtest.co.uk/leave-your-router-switched-on-for-best-broadband-speeds/

Leave your router switched on for best broadband speeds

Keeping your router switched on all the time is advisable to help keep your broadband running at its fastest possible speed, this means that if getting the fastest broadband speed available to you is important then you should avoid turning your router off at night or when you have stopped using your internet each day.

The reason for this is that if you regularly turn off your router then it can make your connection appear to be disconnecting to your local exchange which in turn will then think that your line is not able to cope with faster broadband speeds as it is unstable and it will then lower the broadband speeds that are available to you.

Don’t worry if you have always been used to switching off your router and are worried that you won’t be able to get your maximum broadband speeds now as providing you start to leave your router on permanently then the maximum speeds should start to come back through to your line (this can take up to 3 days).

From: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/speed_tips.shtml

2. Leave your router switched on

Leaving your router on will make sure you get the best speed and performance from your service.

Don't switch it off at night! Regularly switching off your router can make it look like your service is disconnecting. If this happens, your broadband speed will be reduced because the exchange thinks your line is unstable and can't cope with higher speeds. Speed reductions are never permanent, but it can take up to 3 days before your speeds return to normal.

From: https://www.cable.co.uk/guides/how-to-make-your-broadband-faster/

Keep your router switched on

Regularly turning your router off and on can send a signal to your provider that the line is unstable and unable to support a fast service, often leading it to reduce the speed of your connection. So, try to keep your router switched on all times, including at night, for consistent internet speed and performance.

In closing, does turning your router off at night save power--sure. Does unplugging your router from the power outlet and unplugging the ADSL/cable/fiber connection protect from surges riding in that way and smoking your machine--sure as Thailand is the Land of Power Surges/Lightning Storms. Does resetting your router occasionally "if having a connection problem" help--sure, sometimes. Turning equipment on and off induces thermal stresses (surge of voltage/current/power) not seen during continuous operation....probably been countless technical papers written on whether it's better to leave equipment on 24/7 or not to extend mean time between failures with no clear determination as to which way is better because of so many factors involved. Now personally, I do know the great majority of my computer related failures have "not" occurred during normal operation when the item is turned on; instead they have occurred during the powering up or off process. But as to some posts which say turning their router off an night results in a better internet connection the next day, I don't think I will buy that due to the signal monitoring/signal training that goes on between your modem/router and your internet service provider.

Edited by Pib

Could you imagine what would happen to the internet if people turned them off at night? No internet.

Bwahahahahahahahaha, you funny.

Why is that funny? Its very true!

So you are saying if everyone at home turned off their router there would be no internet........

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha, You funny.

Im saying that if everyone in the world be it at home or in business turned off their routers at night the internet as we know it will stop working. Where do you think the internet comes from, space?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Im saying that if everyone in the world be it at home or in business turned off their routers at night the internet as we know it will stop working. Where do you think the internet comes from, space?

The internet would not stop working since at any given point in time it is only 'night' in approximately half the world. In the rest of the world it would be 'day'.

I shut everything down and unplug before I go to sleep, I think that this is a safety thing in me from when I was a kid . Mum and Dad always did this every night.

Do you cover your mirrors and hide the forks during thunderstorms.

I expect yer mom and dad did that too.

Can't turn mine off,

NAS is ul/dl torrents 24/7.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Dudes please think about this in a macro view not a micro view of just words. If country USA turned off all its routers/servers at night what do you think would happen? First none of the data from the USA servers would be shared out to the world. Any site maintained in the US would be down. Also, all those data traffic highways in the US which route other country's data to other parts of the world would stop. If you dont understand the internet in his way, you dont really understand the internet.

Dont need to turn off any computer equipment ever.

A person could use the calculator at this website to determine the cost of leaving their router on 24/7. Assuming a typical router uses 6 watts average and based on the curent PEA/MEA cost of 4.8 baht per KWH or 15 cents (USD) per KWH (including fees/taxes/Ft), leaving your router on 24/7 cost approx 21 baht or 66 cents per month. Leaving it on 16 hours a day with it turned off for 8 hours at night cost approx 14 baht or 44 cents per month.

Costs for Router Left On 24 Hrs a Day

post-55970-0-50083300-1410058412_thumb.j

Costs for Router Left on 16 Hrs a Day

post-55970-0-72633000-1410058505_thumb.j

Dudes please think about this in a macro view not a micro view of just words. If country USA turned off all its routers/servers at night what do you think would happen? First none of the data from the USA servers would be shared out to the world. Any site maintained in the US would be down. Also, all those data traffic highways in the US which route other country's data to other parts of the world would stop. If you dont understand the internet in his way, you dont really understand the internet.

Dont need to turn off any computer equipment ever.

and neither do you!

post-35218-0-85817700-1410059342.jpg

I bought a timer that shuts my router down each night at 3am for an hour... This forces it to reset its connection...

I don't know why routers don't have this function built in?...

Why do you feel the need to reset the connection once ever 24 hrs?