Bike Insurance, protection and accessories?

BBJ

Just curious as I had a minor issue with my insurance company recently.

Should a vehicle hit me and be a fault, causing damage to my bike, its protection such as hand guards/engine guards (Add-ons to protect the bike) and minor paint work, as well as damage to my protective clothing such as jacket and helmet (50k plus), be liable for replacement?

Many Thanks

AFAIK Insurance here never covers accesories

Only stock parts

They made that very clear to me when I bought 1st class insurance

Now in your case since you were hit I imagine your dealing with the other drivers insurance?

Or should be ? But you said "issue with your insurance company"

So then maybe it is deemed no fault? in which case back to your insurance &

only stock parts covered.

Clothing, helmets etc I have never heard being covered

But again if your going after the other guys insurance maybe you will be lucky?

No idea wink.png

Edited by mania

I'm not sure about gear, but I believe Garry was able to get coverage for the accessories on his 999 by submitting pics to his insurance company (or possibly by having his bike inspected).

Sure you can get them covered that way by paying extra.

Motor bike insurance is very confusing in the land of smiles for instance original bike insurance covered me the driver as well as the bike what I did not realise was that any passenger my wife in this case was not covered, I only found this out in conversation with the rep when renewing my policy ( AXA ) I now have the rider of the bike and pillion rider insured however this has come at a cost as the damage to the bike is no longer insured , but as the insurance company only insure the bike as to what they think the value is it was logic to ensure that the pillion cover was the better option. I can now take a ride knowing that if I were involved in an accident both myself and pillion are at least covered. I had to change my policy to another provider as AXA did not offer insurance cover for the pillion rider. I urge all those who have motor bikes to check with there insurance provider as to who is insured and for how much.

Your insurance won't cover gear or accessories but in an accident the Police will probably encourage the driver who hit you to pay.

Otherwise sue him if he refuses.

If your accessories are genuine manufacturer parts they should be covered by 1st class insurance. BMW luggage (manufactured by Touratech) will be covered, but Touratech (not genuine BMW) won't be covered.

insurance does not cover extra parts and accessories so the best way is negotiating with the driver right away once the accident happened and trying to get your expense.

Alternatively, if you keep the receipts of the extra parts, you can go to court and push the responsible guy and finally you meet somewhere in the middle.

OP,

1st class insurance WILL cover accessories on your motorbike but they need to be itemized and the insurance company will want photos of the additional items.. as stated above all of this will come at increased rates. If you have more questions.. speak with Pete at AAinsure.

EDITED:.. my bikes insured value is 1.3 million THB.

Regards,

Kurt

Edited by kbelyeu
  • Like 1

Hi,

Sorry I wasn't very clear.

Hypothetically should the driver at fault and his insurance company pay out for damaged clothing etc?

Hypothetically yes. They should also pay for you and your bike's downtime but don't hold your breath.