Thai officials defend buying costly Government House microphones

webfact

Officials defend buying costly Government House microphones
By Digital Content

1410328593313.jpg

BANGKOK, Sept 10 -- Public works department officials are defending their purchase of the costly microphones installed in the Government House conference room, saying the department actually saves the state about Bt14 million.

In response to criticism of the extremely expensive microphones newly installed in the Government House Meeting Room 501 during the recent renovation, Monton Sudprasert, director-general of the Department of Public Works and Town & Country Planning, held a press conference today with the supplier, Asavasopon Co at the department.

Mr Monton said the department was assigned to renovate Government House and Baan Phitsanulok Mansion (the prime minister's official residence) at a cost of Bt169 million and the task included the improvement of their audio-visual systems.

As the work had to be completed quickly within this month, his department selected Asavasopon Co for its experiences and good reputation in sound system installation.

It chose Bosch Security System DCNM-MMD microphones imported by Bosch Thailand.

Mr Monton said his department bargained for a lower price with representatives of Robert Bosch Ltd and Asavasopon Co on Sept 8 and they agreed to cut the price from Bt145,000 by 35 per cent to Bt95,250 per microphone. That will cost altogether Bt53.80 million.

As the department earlier planned to spend Bt67.99 million on the system, the bargain resulted in the department saving about Bt14 million for the state, Mr Monton said.

He said that the department had yet to thoroughly test the audio-visual system before accepting the products. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-09-10

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I presume these are not "just" microphones, but rather an integrated video + mic and/or other things . . . would be nice to know a bit more about them . . .

These old codgers have difficulties in locating the On/Off switch, so I doubt they will be using any advanced features.

It's like giving my grandma a Formula 1 car to drive, when a Lexus would have been more than sufficient for her needs.

• Like 1

A quick Google puts this device available today at around $2000 US or Thb 63,500!, so that means they paid around Thb31,500 over the top, excluding installation and kickbacks.

That will be list price, buying this amount surely a good discount would

be negotiated?,how can they explain that away, Oh the middle mans

profit.

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

A quick Google puts this device available today at around $2000 US or Thb 63,500!, so that means they paid around Thb31,500 over the top, excluding installation and kickbacks.

then you have to add shipping, import duties and taxes too, in Australia they are another $300 to $500 more than the US so here they will be even more expensive with the high import costs but I suppose if you want to have a bitch you need to use a bit of innuendo and half truths......

price does include all the installation work as well

• Like 1

then you have to add shipping, import duties and taxes too, in Australia they are another $300 to $500 more than the US so here they will be even more expensive with the high import costs but I suppose if you want to have a bitch you need to use a bit of innuendo and half truths......

So the government doesn't have the power to swerve tax on items for themselves? Should have got some grey import car dealers to show them how its done.

• Like 2

When you work within the government, this explanation makes perfect sense to you and others within the government. He would of probably gotten a nice letter of commendation for "saving the government money" if it wasn't for this somewhat questioning attention in the media. He'll probably be hung out to dry now, poor bastard.

That is reasonable.....The German tools I buy (various brands from various companies) cost here 2.5-3x the price I would pay in Germany or Austria.....

And direct sale to Thailand is not allowed (of course I can bypass that). So 50% more doesn't sound so bad.

Frantic calls no doubt taking place between both parties after blatantly getting their hand caught in the cookie jar.

If you cannot see through this whole charade you must be blind!

They're in the room now, shouting across it.. with no microphone in use!

Frantic calls no doubt taking place between both parties after blatantly getting their hand caught in the cookie jar.

If you cannot see through this whole charade you must be blind!

They're in the room now, shouting across it.. with no microphone in use!

Thais are civilized people, they talk through microphones.

Unlike uncivilized British Cabinet parliament session, when both side shout and swear at each other. Order. ORDER.

This is maybe a couple of thousand high as all countries are charged highly for government contract.

Additiions to the price include considerable tendering and costs of providing inspection of the item wanted.

Here cost of import duty probably 40% plus handling

Instulation to a standard which must satisfy often unreasonable and beond specification performance standards for acceptance.

Provission for ecxtremely slow payment of invoices following a very long involved charging process.

High but may not be too high. I have seen similar systems in other countries not a lot cheaper.

• Like 1

harrry, on 10 Sept 2014 - 19:11, said:harrry, on 10 Sept 2014 - 19:11, said:harrry, on 10 Sept 2014 - 19:11, said:harrry, on 10 Sept 2014 - 19:11, said:

This is maybe a couple of thousand high as all countries are charged highly for government contract.

Additiions to the price include considerable tendering and costs of providing inspection of the item wanted.

Here cost of import duty probably 40% plus handling

Instulation to a standard which must satisfy often unreasonable and beond specification performance standards for acceptance.

Provission for ecxtremely slow payment of invoices following a very long involved charging process.

High but may not be too high. I have seen similar systems in other countries not a lot cheaper.

The article clearly states the price per microphone, from Bosch, nothing else. I'm not even sure if these are DNCM MMD's http://www.boschconference.com/en/multimedia-devices-dcnm-mmd/

Edited by MediaWatcher
  • Like 1

Hummm... Government paying import duties and import taxes... To themselves... Does it change the final price?

I think you got it wrong.

• Like 1

Hummm... Government paying import duties and import taxes... To themselves... Does it change the final price?

I think you got it wrong.

The company supplying has to pay the customs duty to bring the item into the country. of course another section of the government recieves it.

I presume these are not "just" microphones, but rather an integrated video + mic and/or other things . . . would be nice to know a bit more about them . . .

Don't need to know the technical details. The company that is selling these systems advertised them at B 99 000 on their website, but sold then at B 145 000 to government. After it became public and the Thai internet got buzzing, the company pushed up their website price to B 199 000. So the 30% tea money is still the norm.

Edited by HUAHIN62
  • Like 1

Thailand, the more it changes the more it stays the same.

But really, you may be overlooking the 100% customs duty on everything made by falangs to punish falangs for having more desirable products and making Thais look bad.

• Like 1