Do you consider yourself physically addicted to coffee?

Jingthing

Coffee addiction POLL (this is not about caffeine or tea)  

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted for strong addicted, even i stopped since 3 weeks now.

Prepare coffee in the morning was always a ceremony for me. The smell from the fresh grinded coffee made me high. A new day without coffee was like impossible.I did drinking a triple cappuccino in the morning and a double cappucino in the afternoon. Daily.

I felt, i took to much of coffee. Had some slightly pressure (no pain) in the brain and some other symptomes that made me think about my coffee behaviour.

The first three days without coffee were not that easy, especially some headaches, but than i felt better and better. My mind is more free now.

Sometimes, like today, i feel a strong demand for coffee. But this one more reason to resist the temptation, because i don't want feel i loose against my demand for coffee.

I don't know if i will stop for the whole life. Maybe when i feel i can drink the coffee without be addicted, i will start to drink sometimes a coffee. For now i will stop at least for some more weeks to abstain from coffee.

Oddly enough being American, where many would be happy with an IV line run to a coffee machine, I never drank it. However, after I got married here in Thailand one morning my wife brought a cup of coffee to me while I was working at the computer. I didn't want to say anything so I drank it. Surprisingly, I actually enjoyed it and was due to how she made it. I have a single cup of coffee every morning now, but that's all, so guess have some degree of addiction. Usually if I have breakfast at a restaurant though I will have tea. Oh wait, I stepped over JT's line in the sand with that comment. biggrin.png

Then you are not addicted. Addiction means you have to have it every day, and it causes you pain or discomfort to not have it. Since you skip coffee some days, you are not addicted to coffee per se, but perhaps to caffeine. The question is, could you drink a cup of green tea or something else, instead? Then you would know.

I have read that only 30% of people can become physically addicted (and thus will get headaches when they stop drinking coffee), but now I can't find that online...

When I don't drink coffee, I feel like I get a headache around noon, but that could just be in my head. <--what a clever and ingenious joke

But really, my headaches may have nothing to do with caffeine withdrawal, and just be coincidental.

I suppose really addicted. If I cannot get a coffee till late on in the day I don't get headaches but do start to feel a bit like the feeling you get when you stand up too quickly, not as strongly but longer lasting and get a bit sweaty. Once I have a coffee the feeling goes in about 5 to 10 minutes.

• Like 1

I suppose with me it is the same as a lot of things, you don't really imagine you have an addiction until you are deprived of it.

Symptoms with me if I don't have my coffee/nicotine kick-start in the morning I am grumpier than normal until I get a fix.

But I only drink proper instant coffee, none of that mamby-pamby crushed stuff

tongue.png

cant start the day without 2 coffee's. bought a nespresso machine and dragged it back to thailand with a couple of hundred capsules. some would say its not a true coffee but i have'nt got the manual dexterity first thing in the morning

actually you know you have a problem when you wake up in a hotel and drink the sachet coffee and whitener first thing before heading down to the breakfast buffet

Edited by eeeya

I've almost never drank coffee every day and I don't now. The few times I did drink it every day for a period of time, I had headaches for a few days when I stopped.

I don't crave it at all and only like the taste with cream and sugar. However, if I'm tired in the morning and have to work, I will have one cup and that usually gets me by until the early afternoon.

Hmm. w00t.gif What kind of 'Murcan ain't wired on JAVA?!? coffee1.gif

attachicon.gif1a7f2a6bb640c13b482bf6c02896b758.jpg

The way certain people get addicted to stuff and others don't is probably related to their genetics. I have an addictive personality and feel blessed I never got hooked on anything seriously bad. Like I couldn't be an alcoholic even if I tried!

yes u could

I am mildly addicted not because I feel the need or desire to have a coffee daily but because if for some reason I do not

drink one, on the second day not having a coffee I will develop a moderate headache in the later AM. However I can quite easily

ween myself off coffee by cutting back my morning cuppa Joe to every second day. Love the smell of coffee even more than the

taste. coffee1.gif mmmmmm

cant start the day without 2 coffee's. bought a nespresso machine and dragged it back to thailand with a couple of hundred capsules. some would say its not a true coffee but i have'nt got the manual dexterity first thing in the morning

actually you know you have a problem when you wake up in a hotel and drink the sachet coffee and whitener first thing before heading down to the breakfast buffet

Got to agree with that. Where they get that coffee from I have no idea but it has to be the worst crap coffee in the worldbah.gif

Interesting question

I think I am a big coffee drinkers. At least once a day (big cup) and usually 2, can be 3

I never really feel coffee 'perks me up' but maybe cause I drink it so regularly it's just part of my morning routine

I have given up sugars and booze and carbs for short-term diets and I get the feeling giving up coffee may be extremely difficult. Part of that may be cause I don't need to do it but I think it'll be more difficult than not drinking or not eating bread or rice, etc

No way am I addicted! I've been drinking on average 5 cups a day, every single day, for the last 35 years or so and I'm still not addicted!

But seriously, I'm not sure if coffee does anything for me or not. I honestly don't feel any more energetic or awake, but it's hard to compare as I can't remember the last time that I didn't drink coffee in the morning. I do know that if I drink coffee in the evening (which I don't), I may have a problem sleeping.