In case of breakdown - Panic

Swamp Thing

I have completed my first road trip this morning. Pattaya to Chiang Mai? Pattaya to Hanoi?!? Nope. Pattaya to Khao Chamao and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

But while riding through the pot-holed roads leading to the park, I had a thought which has crossed my mind several times. 'What would I do if trusty machine breaks down?

My mechanical skills when it comes to motors are roughly on a par with Basil.

I don't know anybody with a truck who could readily come to collect bike and I should a breakdown occur. So what would I do?

Does anybody know of a recovery service in Chonburi/Rayong that I could use should the need arise?

Edited by Swamp Thing
  • Like 1

I got a flat tyre in the middle of a windswept plain near the eastern border of India. A dust storm was coming in, it was getting dark, I was ages from anywhere. I managed to get a ride to the closest town, found a man with a truck, put money in his hand and we drove up to collect the bike which I'd chained to a tree. Got back to the town, got it fixed.

Other times I've found helpful people in villages. In Cambodia once or twice I had to push the bike to get fuel when I ran out. A friend got a flat tyre in Cambodia and we limped his bike to a village and they cooked us dinner while someone fixed it up.

The good thing in these countries is there's usually a bike mechanic not so far away, and people generally seem happy to help. My advice would be wait for a tractor or lorry and hitch a ride, take the bike with you if possible, or secure/hide it, remember the spot and walk for help.

For me I consider it all part of the adventure (admittedly I'm riding for fun, not for work, so if I end up spending half a day fixing a bike it's usually no bother). I've done most of my mileage on group trips - in Nepal we had so many breakdowns it was unbelievable, incessant electrical problems, flat tyres etc, but always seemed to be able to deal with it, and only once or twice did it need one of us to go off to fetch parts for the wounded bike.

I would advise though that you see if you can learn a few basic skills. Often you just need to clean or change a spark plug and you're on your way. Running out of fuel is a common one, and easily avoided. Also I've had a few small electrical faults where wires have worn through their insulation and earthed on the frame. Always carry spare light bulbs if you can - riding with poor lighting sucks, and is of course incredibly dangerous.

• Like 2

I have had some similar stories to darkian. Thai people are very, very eager to help stranded motorists/motorcyclists, especially farang. Having run out of gas a few times of the 13 years I have lived here, I was always immediately approached by the first person that saw me and given a ride to the nearest pump or roadside seller. When my truck broke down, a policeman gave me the number of a flat bed tow truck company which came and picked it up right away. They can transport bikes too. Honda has nationwide roadside assistance which can also be purchased from various insurance companies.

I was fully loaded on my bike in between Mai Sot and Mai Hong Song just before dusk when the rear tyre went flat.

A Thai guy pulled his pickup over, we put the bike in the back of his pickup and he took me to a dirt floor mechanic in the next town.

They unloaded the bike, took the wheel off, removed the tube, patched it and put it all back together as I watched.

I had a few drinks and something to eat at the shop next door. No words were really spoken. All together, maybe 1 hour.

When it came to the bill they just shrugged their shoulders. It was the kind of place I'm sure people pay with chickens or vegetables. I gave the guy 200 baht, and jumped on the bike. I'll never forget the smile on this guys face like he just won the lottery.

Thai's are very keen to help when things go wrong, so whilst I do carry a good basic toolkit, more often than not, Thai's will stop and help.

• Like 1

All you need is money in your wallet. Stop the first empty truck and let them drive you to the mech. Even other bikes or a motorsai can push you with their legs to mechanic.

Had many flat tires and mechanical problems in the middle of nowhere, worst was in nepal up in the mountains! In india also a couple of times had hard times but al sorted somehow always.

Also they have road side assitance in thailand and you can buy that service too. Check Mondial roadside assistance

Edited by ll2