Help! I am planning to retire in CNX, my children worried about medical emergencies.

Nolster

In Thailand if a farang has a serious accident or falls sick or requires medical care or hospitalisation, than they pay for treatment, can`t pay, than their recovery is left to luck or they die.

These are the harsh facts I`m afraid and also taking into consideration that medical care for the more serious stuff is not cheap over here.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The million baht is your best option I do it and When I go to doctor get receipt for services send back to states My insurance there covers above costs here I pocket the rest. But Motorcycle scooter Tuk-Tuk stay the hell away from unless you have death wish. Taxi or hired car only. Tank is best option. Don't worry about the woman Many ladies may think you as hand Sum man. Now the downside You really think you can handle the 13 hour plus flights twice a year? If a Veteran like myself Guam is good for short hop for treatment. Also is US territory. With good VA hospital. As far as health Insurance check around there before leaving you might be able to get a rider on your present insurance to cover you here Since treatment costs lower a lot of companies might do it. Good part No frickin Obama care to pay for Oh and depending on state your from if you pay state taxes on pension think of switching states first. You still have to pay taxes here And putting the money in a bank here to cover the million baht you have yearly forms to file for federal taxes. Just some things to think of before making a move to here.

OP will be joining a limited number of American retirees here but the support here has been great. As forewarned, driving a motorbike is not for the faint hearted. However, just a word in addition. I had never driven a motorbike before retirement here in CNX (at age 64). For sure, I have learned to look in 10 directions, including up and down! One never knows here! One thing for sure, up cannot have "Old Timers" and survive driving here. If your mind is not moving continuously, you will not survive without having an accident, even then, well, I have taken two dives off the bike, one broken collar bone, one sand papering in Cambodia. One "rainy season" and I decided to add a used auto but still enjoy the motorbike

Do, absolutely, take your time in finding friends you can count on. No different than home, I think. Chiang Mai Expats, Chiang Mai Friends, Lanna Care Net, etc., have been a good start for me. Tell the kids to stop worrying about medical emergencies, as recommended bring a credit card from home (your U.S. address at the kids) all bills can be paid from your U.S. account at home over the internet. CNX has excellent hospitals. Bring your medical history and establish a relationship with a GP. Lanna Care Net has good info on Medical Care Advocates (Representatives). Also, let the children know that Chaing Mai University has a Medical School (Sirphat Medical Center).

Jump in, the water's fine!!!

Thanks for your advice, I will keep all the points in mind. Yes one does need to enjoy his or her life while they can. I was travelling in northern part of India last month in Himachal Pradesh which is a mountainous state. I saw so many bike riders taking the trail all the way to Leh in Kashmir. You can tell these bikers from they way they had loaded their bikes and the biker jackets etc that they were wearing. Similarly, I met two older gentlemen from Switzerland in Saigon when I visited there a few years ago. They were on their huge Honda bikes post-206719-0-70411100-1410824701_thumb.post-206719-0-37546200-1410825213_thumb.I don't remember what models etc, I talked to them for a while and they said they take such trips through SE Asia a lot; and also have multiple bikes. I guess this is something I have not done in my life and would like to experience it once; in a safe manner of course! Here in the US everyone has a car but in many Asian countries everyone seems to have a scooter or a small bike. I do get jealous when I see kids in their teens expertly riding their bikes on the roads in Asia. clap2.gif

I think that there needs to be an 'App' for the retirees in LOS to use on their smart phones. If something happens, pushing one button (or may be a second one to be sure) and the app will send messages to pre selected persons including the nearest coordinates etc. smile.png

Yes, Mapguy, I've had a hard couple months, actually. It's difficult being the head cheerleader welcoming newcomers into retirement living in Chiang Mai and also being the one who gets called in my Suan Dok hospital when a destitute, elderly white guy is brought into the ER, barely able to communicate without any identification, but speaking some form of English.

Plus a surprising number of people I consider my friends have been recently diagnosed with diseases that will be their cause of death.

Nolster will do fine, I think, provided he stays off a motorcycle. He'll soon learn he can't buy a tuk-tuk. Those little three wheel motorscooters maybe. I've seen them around town. The best "smartphone app" is a network of friends -- provided you're in good enough shape to operate the phone. And if he's asking about buying insurance at his age, let's hope he has the the resources to tap a couple million baht in a bank account or a credit card with a good line of credit.

• Like 2

Yes, Mapguy, I've had a hard couple months, actually. It's difficult being the head cheerleader welcoming newcomers into retirement living in Chiang Mai and also being the one who gets called in my Suan Dok hospital when a destitute, elderly white guy is brought into the ER, barely able to communicate without any identification, but speaking some form of English.

Plus a surprising number of people I consider my friends have been recently diagnosed with diseases that will be their cause of death.

Nolster will do fine, I think, provided he stays off a motorcycle. He'll soon learn he can't buy a tuk-tuk. Those little three wheel motorscooters maybe. I've seen them around town. The best "smartphone app" is a network of friends -- provided you're in good enough shape to operate the phone. And if he's asking about buying insurance at his age, let's hope he has the the resources to tap a couple million baht in a bank account or a credit card with a good line of credit.

Very true! Thanks again Nancy. smile.png

I'm retired and living in Chiang Mai.

One reason we decided to retire here is the excellent medical care we get at McCormick Hospital. The quality of care is much better

than we got in the Philippines or Japan. At McCormick the medical care is provided by professionals who take the time to treat you

like a human, which is better than my experience in the U.S.

I have a GEHA health plan which covers me here for all major medical issues. If you don't have your own medical insurance coverage

when you come here you're very likely "out of business" as in many other countries including the U.S.

If you are over 60, you can buy health insurance here, I recently checked -- the cost increases with your age -- for over 60 the cost is

astronomically high -- if I remember correctly it was about $1,000 per month.

Bottom line is -- if you don't have a health insurance plan you will need to be moderately wealthy and be to ready to self-cover all your

expenses for major medical. Seems to me a rather daunting prospect and probably a game-stopper for most folks.

Just curious, BradinAsia.

Does McCormick bill your GEHA plan directly, or are you required (as I have been, using the same plan at Sriphat, Rajavej and Maharaj...) to pay all incurred expenses out of pocket? I've never had any problem being reimbursed by GEHA for claims filed for services rendered in Thailand, but the process is cumbersome, and could potentially be an issue if the bill was totaled in the millions of baht.

Landtrout, I've never had a major medical situation yet in Chiang Mai, only outpatient. If I had a major medical issue like "in the millions of baht"

I think they would agree to bill GEHA directly. I probably should ask.

My experience getting reimbursed by GEHA has been very simple and quick. When I submit a bill from the doctor it must include 5 things --

(1) the doctor's name, (2) his medical specialty, (3) description of the procedure, (4) the date he performed the procedure, and (5) the charge.

I had eye surgery (lens implant) a few years ago in the Philippines. I just sent the bill to GEHA and they reimbursed me promptly with no hassle.

• Like 1

As some of the posters have said , you can get insurance through a few companys over the age of 70, Aetna International is just one , it is expensive, but there is some out there. Chiang Mai has great medical services, I use the University Hospital myself but there is private hospitals as well. Very reasonable prices.

In regards to the 3 wheeled motorbikes - TriCities - they're actually very stable, and possibly a good choice for someone with little experience on any type of motorbike or scooter. My wife looked at one and liked it, but not as much as she does her new PCX. lol. But definitely worth looking into.

• Like 1

Not so easy to build network of 'friends' here if older guy. The blokes already here for some time don't need new/more friends and to meet newbies, like self, requires a common interest, or an atmosphere of welcome, etc. Pubs cater to drinkers (duh), smokers, and of course folks willing to pay 100 baht per beer and maybe watch strange sports blasting away on multiple sets.

So, yeah, it's the best idea, the network of friends, but not at all easy to obtain.

A couple of points:

1. The accident insurance from Bangkok Bank is not worth buying if you analyze the maximum amount that it will pay for various accidents. Perhaps many posters have not read the fine print but the payout per accident is quite small.

2. Many posters have been lucky while riding bikes or scooters. I have not. In Chiang Mai, I laid my bike down by braking quickly on gravel at the side of the road and shattered my left collarbone. Its repair required surgery and the insertion of a steel plate. Later, in Japan, I ran my scooter at night into the side of a car which ran a stop sign and didn't have its headlights on. I crushed my right shoulder, broke my right tibia and suffered a concussion. Partly due to a medical mistake which severed the ligament in my right arm, it took me two years to recover. The cost to the Japanese health care system was about $1,000,000!

3. US Social Security recipients automatically receive Medicare Part A when they turn 65. They can then buy Part B for a fixed monthly charge. You don't have to buy Part B in special circumstances, ie., living overseas.

4. Travel insurance assumes that you are a resident of the country where you buy it. If you are living in another country and buy travel insurance on your trips home, you may find that your claims are denied if the insurance company discovers that you are not living in the country where you bought coverage. Believe me, insurance companies are very interested in denying claims if they can.

The amount of risk that one wants to take is a personal decision but at the age of 65+, how much risk can one bear? One mistake and your life is destroyed. There are enough natural risks at this age without incurring ones that can be avoided. My advice to the OP is to have 1.5 to 2 million set aside for medical purposes only and to drive only a car if he is going to drive. When riding a motorcycle or a scooter, you can be "dead right." It's often the other driver's mistake that gets you injured.

Agree with the BKK Bank PA not worth buying - talk to Peter over at AA insurance brokers as they can offer BBK insurance policies with higher benefits than the banks can

In Thailand if a farang has a serious accident or falls sick or requires medical care or hospitalisation, than they pay for treatment, can`t pay, than their recovery is left to luck or they die.

These are the harsh facts I`m afraid and also taking into consideration that medical care for the more serious stuff is not cheap over here.

Don't know where you come from but $6,300 Canadian for a new hip is cheap compared to where I come from. How long has it been since you have had serious stuff where you come from?

Nolster - - I think you are very much on the right track when you say that you will have friends to help and medical facilities are as good or better than many in USA… your friends will be retired most likely and will have time to help out… I live well out into the countryside of N. Thailand and do not consider it an issue especially in relation to how much I enjoy my life. The rare times friends have needed anything, they have not had a problem w/medical care, even out here. Their rooms are sometimes overflowing w/Thai family and friends, there to provide help for them.

As to your children's worry - there might not be anything to assuage that and it might be connected to other concerns… enjoy the retirement of your dreams, I am sure you deserve it.

*** If they are concerned that much, take them to Bumrungrad Hospital in Bkk - and then ask them to find something comparable in USA…

• Like 1

In regards to the 3 wheeled motorbikes - TriCities - they're actually very stable, and possibly a good choice for someone with little experience on any type of motorbike or scooter. My wife looked at one and liked it, but not as much as she does her new PCX. lol. But definitely worth looking into.

Antone know the price in Thailand as it's made here? http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/yamaha-tricity/

About $3,300 in the US

Edited by uptheos

Antone know the price in Thailand as it's made here? http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/yamaha-tricity/

About $3,300 in the US

Thanks uptheos for the web site.

Defiantly a safer bike for the older generation. for myself I would never consider it as I find my ability in the last two years to pay attention to all that is going on around me is not as good as it was. I think that this also is some thing people should take into consideration when they get on in years. Especially if riding a bike is a new thing to them. For those coming from countries where they drive on the rite side of the road it is even harder to handle.

I speak only for myself as defiantly having it happen but I am sure their are other's who can attest to the fact that they are not as alert as they used to be.

I am above 72 and have medical insurance worldwide except US and that includes Thailand. In Patient and Out Patient. Costs: $ US 5,788 per year. No out of pocket expenses. Limit Maximum per year $2.6 M Maybe worth considering.

Can you tell us who the insurers/brokers are. When did you take out this insurance and how long have you been covered thereunder?

About $3,300 in the US

Thanks uptheos for the web site.

Defiantly a safer bike for the older generation. for myself I would never consider it as I find my ability in the last two years to pay attention to all that is going on around me is not as good as it was. I think that this also is some thing people should take into consideration when they get on in years. Especially if riding a bike is a new thing to them. For those coming from countries where they drive on the rite side of the road it is even harder to handle.

I speak only for myself as defiantly having it happen but I am sure their are other's who can attest to the fact that they are not as alert as they used to be.

I wonder if it's cheaper than the US 3,300?

It should be, considering it is made in Thailand.

• Like 1

Yes the Tricity is slightly cheaper here, app 85 K baht.

Good choice for an older fist time rider.

If possible learn how to ride a motor bike in the US first with a licence, this will also get you the Thai bike license easier.

Edited by guzzi850m2
  • Like 1

Not so easy to build network of 'friends' here if older guy. The blokes already here for some time don't need new/more friends and to meet newbies, like self, requires a common interest, or an atmosphere of welcome, etc. Pubs cater to drinkers (duh), smokers, and of course folks willing to pay 100 baht per beer and maybe watch strange sports blasting away on multiple sets.

So, yeah, it's the best idea, the network of friends, but not at all easy to obtain.

Sorry Jobin, but that's utter nonsense that an older guy can't build a network of friends here. There are numerous ways to do it that don't involve alcohol. First, it helps to live in a serviced apartment or condo with other westerners and building management that cares about its residents. You'll get to meet the other residents. Live in the city and you'll walk everywhere and get to know people in the 'hood. You'll be a regular at certain restaurants and shops. Always be pleasant, have a smile on your face and get to know the names of people you deal with on a regular basis. It's ok to ask them several times if you forget the first time they tell you.

Then you check out the many activites associated with the Chiang Mai Expats Club. These clubs-within-a-club are small groups that focus on special interests and hobbies: http://www.chiangmaiexpatsclub.com/activities/ Their activites are sometimes listed on the CEC Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chiang-Mai-Expats-Club/286223608211692

SGet yourself involved with the Community Sponsors of CEC for good opportunities for you to make friends, like the English-speaking Rotary club, Gate Theater and Help for Dogs: http://www.chiangmaiexpatsclub.com/community-sponsors/?show=category&t=community-sponsors

And, of course, there are the regular meeting of Chiang Mai Expats Club itself where you can make new friends. No one is drinking beer or smoking a cigarette at the meetings of CEC. Just doesn't make sense to do that when we meet in the morning! http://www.chiangmaiexpatsclub.com/meetings/

Medicare will not cover you outside of the USA. When I started purchasing Part B after I retired (with no penalty for enrolling late,) I had to sign a paper saying that I understood that my Medicare could not be used outside of the USA. Like Nolster, I have it for when I suffer some debilitating illness or approach the end of my life. When I approach the end of my days, I've got an arrangement with my daughter in California, who is a professional elder care specialist, to arrange for live-in nurses, etc. back there. When I move back to the USA for my final days, I will purchase Plan F as Nolster has done.

Fortunately, so long as I am a resident of Japan, my Japanese health insurance will cover major unanticipated procedures in Thailand but not routine doctor visits and treatments. They will not reimburse me for my out-of-pocket expenses but will reimburse me for what the procedure would have cost in Japan, less 10%, my copay.

Nolster seems very jazzed about riding either a two-wheeled or three-wheeled motorcycle. Remember that speed and weight are your enemy. If you fall off of a bicycle, its weight is negligible and mostly the weight of your body will hit the road. With a motorcycle, you will hit the road (or another vehicle) with the combined weight of the bike and your body with the potential to inflict much more damage. I know from personal experience how much damage you can do to yourself at the rather slow speed of 30 KPH. Any difficulty with the the bike's mechanism, such as the throttle, will distract you from fully concentrating on your surroundings, perhaps with devastating consequences.

Regarding frequent trips back to the USA, as you age, that 13-16 hours seems longer and longer!

I am traveling to Orange County, CA next week and from the time I leave my house here until I check in to my hotel in Garden Grove the transit time will be 22 hours or more. I will be exhausted when I arrive. I simply can't make the trip every year.

I wish Nolster a very happy retirement using a safe mode of transportation with a large medical emergency fund in the bank. Medical insurance may not be in the cards if 2-3 years' premiums equal the amount of money that you would pay for a major medical procedure.

In retirement, I am enjoying splitting my year between Tokyo and Bangkok and hope to continue doing so for another 8 years or so.

• Like 1

Medical expenses are cheap in Thailand especially at the public hospitals. A 4 day stay at a public hospital including a trip to the operating room cost me 14,000 Baht. An 8 day stay at the International Hospital cost me 54,000 Baht. Divide by 30 for approximate US dollars. Health care is excellent in Thailand. Why are the doctors so good here ? Because they have so much experience.

Even with these unusual health events I saved about $7000.00 by not buying health insurance. I was offered reasonable priced health insurance at the Bangkok bank. So far i have not taken them up on it.

As an aside here is a question for your doctor. What is the biggest cause of death ? Answer: Life ( Most doctors get this one wrong. )

Moral: If you are alive you will die. Be prepared or be unprepared - you will die just the same.

I may be mistaken but I believe if you receive Social Security payments you have no choice regarding Medicare. I think it's an automatic deduction and if your income exceeds a certain threshold, there's an additional premium deducted.

Yes it is an automatic deduction for Part A and B(?), but one can buy supplemental plans (Enhanced??) to cover what traditional Medicare does not cover and Part D for drug coverage. I am quite new at this. I bought Part F that allows me to go to any doctor or hospital anywhere in the US and from what I understand the Plan F covers everything i.e. I should have to make no payments to either the doctors and hospitals.

You get medicare part A automatically at NO CHARGE when you turn 65. IF you want part B or further supplements you have to sign up and pay for that. Part B premium is deducted from your social security payments.

Any other supplement to pay for whatever Parts A and B won't cover are done with a private insurance company..the largest is united health care as part of AARP. Premiums for private suppelement insurance are paid by you direct to insurance company. They have many different options depending on your needs and budget.

MEDICARE DOES NOT COVER YOU OUTSIDE USA (except a few very extreme cases).

• Like 1

Medical expenses are cheap in Thailand especially at the public hospitals. A 4 day stay at a public hospital including a trip to the operating room cost me 14,000 Baht. An 8 day stay at the International Hospital cost me 54,000 Baht. Divide by 30 for approximate US dollars. Health care is excellent in Thailand. Why are the doctors so good here ? Because they have so much experience.

Even with these unusual health events I saved about $7000.00 by not buying health insurance. I was offered reasonable priced health insurance at the Bangkok bank. So far i have not taken them up on it.

As an aside here is a question for your doctor. What is the biggest cause of death ? Answer: Life ( Most doctors get this one wrong. )

Moral: If you are alive you will die. Be prepared or be unprepared - you will die just the same.

Depends upon the procedure you're having done at the hospital. For example, if Nolster falls off that fancy new three-wheeler and breaks his hip, he may get off with just an 8 day stay in the public hospital. Hope he doesn't mind the unairconditioned ward room, with beds so close together he can touch the guy next to him. But, he'll find his bill is 110,000 - 140,000 baht because they have to use imported hardware for the hip replacement he'll need. For a little more, he can be in much more comfort at a private hospital, something like 130,000 - 180,000 baht depending on how bad he falls.

Ain't no getting on a plane to go back to the U.S. to fix this problem, either.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

Sorry Jobin, but that's utter nonsense that an older guy can't build a network of friends here. There are numerous ways to do it that don't involve alcohol. First, it helps to live in a serviced apartment or condo with other westerners and building management that cares about its residents. You'll get to meet the other residents. Live in the city and you'll walk everywhere and get to know people in the 'hood. You'll be a regular at certain restaurants and shops. Always be pleasant, have a smile on your face and get to know the names of people you deal with on a regular basis. It's ok to ask them several times if you forget the first time they tell you.

Then you check out the many activites associated with the Chiang Mai Expats Club. These clubs-within-a-club are small groups that focus on special interests and hobbies: http://www.chiangmaiexpatsclub.com/activities/ Their activites are sometimes listed on the CEC Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chiang-Mai-Expats-Club/286223608211692

SGet yourself involved with the Community Sponsors of CEC for good opportunities for you to make friends, like the English-speaking Rotary club, Gate Theater and Help for Dogs: http://www.chiangmaiexpatsclub.com/community-sponsors/?show=category&t=community-sponsors

And, of course, there are the regular meeting of Chiang Mai Expats Club itself where you can make new friends. No one is drinking beer or smoking a cigarette at the meetings of CEC. Just doesn't make sense to do that when we meet in the morning! http://www.chiangmaiexpatsclub.com/meetings/

The opportunities to make Thai friends are endless and a few Thai friends can be immensely helpful. It takes time but it is worth the effort.

• Like 1