Loved and hated, former PM Thaksin is erased from textbook

webfact

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There will never be a civil war in Thailand,there is too much outside and inside money invested.As regards the foreign media,yes they would love it.It would be a great story to boost their advertising income generated by the people who happen to read whatever media.That's what media is all about.Just read the big news on a daily basis and see how quick it dies.They are like vampires,constantly in search of new blood.The stories on here are a good example.

I felt it coming before. Many others did too. We can agree to disagree on whether the threat was real or not. To me, it was real. There didn't seem to be any clear resolution. Many people predicted the Thai style way to prevent that was another coup. So did I. That's where Thailand is now. I am not Thai and yes I am indeed BUTTING OUT.

What about the part with him being found guilty for the land deal. Was that erase from the history books also? I guess it never happen and he should be a free man to return to Thailand.

I don't like the idea of him being erased from the text books one little bit. He should be carved into Thai history and the absolute truth told about him.

The cons outnumber the pros about 100-1 and it would be a good lesson for Thai school children to learn. A fine example of a criminally insane despot if there ever was one.

But you speak of the absolute truth when serious study of history does not admit this concept.In the case of Thaksin there is already a very good account by Acharn Pasuk and Chris Baker.This will in due course be superseded by updated scholarship.

One thing we can be sure about however is that future histories will not be silent on Thaksin nor will they contain the absurdities ranted by

semi educated and wholly ignorant foreign mediocrities.We can of course enjoy the latter on this forum however .

• Like 1

What about the part with him being found guilty for the land deal. Was that erase from the history books also? I guess it never happen and he should be a free man to return to Thailand.

I don't like the idea of him being erased from the text books one little bit. He should be carved into Thai history and the absolute truth told about him.

The cons outnumber the pros about 100-1 and it would be a good lesson for Thai school children to learn. A fine example of a criminally insane despot if there ever was one.

But you speak of the absolute truth when serious study of history does not admit this concept.In the case of Thaksin there is already a very good account by Acharn Pasuk and Chris Baker.This will in due course be superseded by updated scholarship.

One thing we can be sure about however is that future histories will not be silent on Thaksin nor will they contain the absurdities ranted by

semi educated and wholly ignorant foreign mediocrities.We can of course enjoy the latter on this forum however .

.................................."semi educated and wholly ignorant foreign mediocrities"...................................

It takes one to know one ! biggrin.png

• Like 1

One step closer to the abyss.

Still it's not selective - Thaksin may be being cut out of history but so is much of the army's past - kids are not taught about the military's only victories of the 20th Century, the air and ground attacks on Thais, mostly in the North and North East in the 60s, 70s and 80s.

Please don't forget, or erase from your memory the Thaksin directed slaughter of muslims at Tak Bai. As long as we are talking about the army and Thaksin.

Does anyone else remember the writer of this little journalistic jewel, Mr. Thomas Fuller, as the New York Times' resident Thaksinista?

He has brought us so may enlightening articles to the greater glory of T.S. over the years. Glad he snatched up a tidbit of news to lament yet another horrible injustice done to his one and only Thai hero and to the cause of true democracy.

Anyway, even if it's true, the deletion of Thaksin's name will not alter the course of Thai history or society. Everyone knows that the current generation of Thai students will not retain, or even absorb, any written information that exceeds the space provided on their smart phone screen.

tongue.png

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I myself hate Thaksin and his political party but history should not be distorted, people need to know the truth . It was the failure and corruption of all the Politicians from all camps , the PheuThai, The Democrats, Banharn, Newin, Chavalit, etc and a failure of the education system that lead thailand to be in a shameful state of being without democracy and being ruled by a military junta and a few elites.

Just omitting the name Thaksin is not the way .

I fear of what the future holds for Thailand.

I think you are right , only narrow minded, in ward looking people would think of this

I wish I could delete some things from my past, like a couple of ex wifes and some poor judgement calls with finances !!

How will they get round the coup that replaced him, as in the nameless former PM, will they simply erase that part of History too? So for the purposes of education the PM at the time was called what? (apart from millions of expletives!!) cheesy.gif or was there no PM ?

• Like 2

If you ignore the past you're doomed to repeat it....Geez! what are they afraid of?

This is just ridiculous..Once again in true fashion ...Those in charge would rather sweep the mess under the rug and pretend it isn't there...I don't agree with the things Thaksin did, but why hide it?..Look at it straight in the eye and learn from it and accept that you won't let it happen again.

The only way it won't happen is if they change the constitution to reflect that the minority vote wins the election.

Let's talk about conveniently changing Thai history. I always laugh when I read comments like "Thaksin was the first politician in Thailand to focus on the needs of voters outside Bangkok". Where did he get his ideas? An earlier and much more admirable Prime Minister whose achievements also seem to have been written out of the history books beat him by 25 years.

Kukrit Pramoj, who upset the military by winding down U.S. bases in Thailand and re-establishing diplomatic ties with China after the Vietnam War, launched a successful program called the Tambon Council Fund which injected an amazing (in those days) 2.5 billion baht into rural development in less than a year. The theme of the program was "The Thai Farmer: Linchpin of National Development". He also introduced a rice price guarantee program. This was in 1975.

Thaksin was able to learn (copy) from history... it is sad that today's children may miss out.

• Like 1

i loved this:

Schoolchildren will be trained to act as ambassadors of patriotic spirit, Mr. Winai said. He gave the hypothetical example of students reprimanding adults who fail to stand at attention during the national anthem, which is played on radio stations and on public broadcast systems at 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. daily.

“The students might go and ask, ‘Why aren’t you standing straight when the national anthem is played?’ ” he said.

The junta has issued a list of 12 values for the country, including gratitude toward parents, discipline, morality and the maintaining of “physical and mental strength against greed.” Large banners bearing the list are being posted at schools nationwide.

how embarrassing..

I really dislike using the terms facist, it's not a word I particularly care for, it's overused in my opinion, wrongly, it's a pretty strong word, and it instantly conjurs up nasty people, I don't believe the RTA and the current Government, even one self elected, should be called Facists either, it's definately not an ideal situation to be living under, as in Military Law/Rule, but I haven't seen one instance where a Farang has been subjected to " education camps" or even being booted out of Thailand, or worse, silenced with a double tap to the skull..

I don't know many Thai's who feel hemmed in by the Junta either, apart from the ones the media focus on, from what I have seen, life all over Thailand is the same as it was 12 months ago, even 24 months ago.

The Junta/PM/Government need time, however, they also need to be clear on what they are setting out to do as well, and follow it through, they will make bad decisions along the way, but they can't be any worse than the previous mob... or can they?

Thaksin may well be hated by 99.99999% of the population now, but he was at one stage very popular, so much so, that he became PM, denying his existence in Thai history is just plain stupid, he should be there to highlight everything that went wrong with the country.

• Like 1

This is not "moving on" in the spirit of reconciliation ..it's just plain silly and childish/child-like. Next they will be wanting to edit the textbooks to say that Thailand was not a Japanese colony during WW2

WW2? What was that?

A victory that ensured your freedom and freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech? Well of course they're not going to teach that in Thailand.