Should the school pay for my work permit?

ArtHay

I teach part-time at a university campus in the rural north. The salary is meager but the campus is located near where I live with my wife and the position is just what I want right now.

Last year I didn't get a work permit, I know I should have but I didn't, this year with the more strict enforcement of the rules that we have seen since the coup I thought I'd better get one.

I approached the head of my department and asked the school to provide me with the paperwork to apply for a work permit, additionally I also mentioned that I believed the school should pay the fee for the permit.

I was told that while they would provide me with the paper work they would not pay the fee since it was my responsibility alone. I then told the school that I would not be available next semester.

My question for you experienced Thailand teachers is do you think I'm being unreasonable?

I've taught in Korea, Taiwan and China and in these places the schools cover the costs associated with work permits and visas, what is the standard procedure here?

So the school won't pay for your work permit,so you say you won't be going back next semester,sounds like you have thrown your dummy out of the pram.3 things come to mind (1) do you have a valid visa ie non b or non o visa,(2) are you in it for the money (3) working here illegally So yes you are being unreasonable. You have a job but no work permit, the school could easily report you to immigration so don't bite the hand that feeds you or rock the boat.

Who pays for your visa/work permit is part of the contractual negotiations.

The high school I worked at used to provide upto ฿5000 per year towards work permits & visas (Which perfectly covers the renewals), but I know a lot if places don't cover either (or might only cover the WP).

Walking out over this is an over reaction, and more something which you should simply negotiate into your next contract.

As it's not a lot of money, and if it wasn't stated in your contract, in the job advertisement or even offered verbally, then it's probably a bit unreasonable to quit over not receiving it.

• Like 1

I know it seems like an insignificant amount of money but given the number of hours I work and the hourly rate the work permit fee is about a weeks pay, and I feel the school should foot the bill.

I'm not breaking any contract as I am employed on a per semester basis.

Alan I know its traditional for some people here to try as hard as possible to find fault with their fellow teachers but read my post first, do you really think I'd be working part time at a rural university for 300 baht an hour if I were in it for the money?

• Like 2

I forgot to mention that I have a valid non"O" visa, I'm married to a Thai.

Look basically I practically live next to this university. They haven't had a foreign teacher in years because the position is part time and they can't offer a salary that would attract anyone. I'm semi retired so the position is a good fit for me.

My school paind for the (once off) work permit, but I always pay for my visa extension. It depends on the school/university.

To the OP, it is the school who should pay for the work permit. A school offfered me a job, took me to the Labour office, my work permit was granted, then I was asked to pay 3000 Baht. I just said no and walked out.

I know it seems like an insignificant amount of money but given the number of hours I work and the hourly rate the work permit fee is about a weeks pay, and I feel the school should foot the bill.

I'm not breaking any contract as I am employed on a per semester basis.

Alan I know its traditional for some people here to try as hard as possible to find fault with their fellow teachers but read my post first, do you really think I'd be working part time at a rural university for 300 baht an hour if I were in it for the money?

Err, take it easy on Alan, eh? You can see it's a bit of a struggle.

• Like 1

It's up to the English Department Head and the School Director at the high school level. I've never seen it or the VISA issues in an actual Thai contract or the translated version.(neither the who pays part or the requirement of same) These costs are paid out of another budget, not by Bangkok Ministry of Education.

The OP is just a part time University lecturer. If he were full time it would be different. It is rare to get anything extra for just part time work especially those on short term contracts.

You could move on but to be honest unless you are full time, you won't get much better. If you are happy with the students and the colleagues, then don't make an issue about it.

Work permit costs under 2k.

If they don't want you enough to pay it, you don't want to work there.

IMHO.

Work permit 2 years ago was 3000 Baht, or the school was trying to cheat me.

They were trying to cheat you, this year it is about 1,800bht.

(Probably an 'admin fee' for the school official who took you to the WP office)

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

IMHO.

OK, but I have got to say I have heard and read that the work permit does cost 3000 Baht,

They should pay...as the onus is on them to facilitate the employee and it is their responsibility to do their part and pay for the work permit.

If you continued working for them more than likely at any opportunity they would pull the Thai cheap Charlie act concerning other aspects of what is their responsibility and their business operating costs.

They do not run the education business because they think it is something cute to do, rather they do it for the money and they make plenty of money doing so.

Personally I am happy to hear you walked.

Cheers

Firstly, I wouldnt work for a school that didnt pay for my work permit and annual extension. Secondly a work permit costs 3000 Baht and has done for a number of years. The extension is 1900baht. This is a fairly large sum for a teacher working in a low paid rural school. If a school does not want to pay for the permit, I think it is a pointer to the way you can be expected to be treated in your school.

Contrary to popular belief on TV most teachers are not in it for the money, like what they are doing and do a pretty good job under sometimes trying circumstances.

Yes I would be leaving at the end of my contract too, there are lots of schools who will pay for your permit.

IMHO.

One year work permit 3000 baht

http://www.thaiworkpermit.com/thai-work-permit-fees.html

• Like 1

I think we all now know why they have not had a non-Thai teacher for a while.

That's just nasty.

One little grammar mistake and you're all over the OP.

You know, when people type on a forum, grammatically correct English is one of the last things on their mind.

Could be a case of fat fingers even.

• Like 1