UK 'raises concern' over bikini remarks by Thai PM

webfact

Maybe Prayuth was misunderstood. He didn't want to "blame" the victims.

he just made a reflexion of a culture difference which can cause some problems.

I think this discussion could be valid, but the time was inappropiate.

Today we must focus on solving this crime , regardless of how the victims dressed. They are 100% victims.

Deputy govt spokesman says PM sorry over 'bikini quote'

BANGKOK: -- Deputy government Spokesman Col Sansern Kaewkamnerd said Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha was sorry after learning that his comment over the murder of British tourists caused a furore.

Sansern said Prayuth was also sorry that part of his statement was selectively played up without taking his intention into account.

Sansern said Prayuth had good intention to protect tourists and wanted to see all sides cooperate to increase security for foreigners.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-09-18

Why can't he say it himself?

why should he the comment was appropriate although PC nutters like you prefer to suppress peoples freedom of speech by using PC claptrap I wish they had simply told western lot to @##$% off and no wonder many Thais dont like forang who refuse to be polite and follow standard rules of behaviour here. Even most bar girls would not wear scant chothes or bikinis outside of their work places

• Like 1

The Daily Mail website should permanently be block to safe guard all innocent Thais.

I am not sure if they have been paid by Thaksin or what, but lately have been publishing a lot of negative things about Thailand, and some info is not exactly true. For example, it say Prayuth came to be PM from coup. Not true. Prayuth was elected by >97% of the voters.

Yesterday, Daily Mail has gone non-stop bad mouth Prayuth about his comment to alert women not to expose themselves too much. That is a very good fatherly advise. Nothing is wrong with that.

Was this guy smokin dope when he wrote this or is he just a plain one? Maybe he meant 97% of the ministers he put in and then they voted to make him the PM eh? If this guy was looking for a way to make people laugh he succeeded 100%.

As far as the bikinni's go didn't I read somewhere a few years ago the ministers were all up in a howl how seductively the school girls were wearing their skirts up to their um well what word can I use here and not get censored? haha. Is he suggesting the Thai chicks are ugly. Hell, there are more perverts at the schools checking out the girls than at the beaches.

it is currently agains the law to disrespect/and or incite bad feeling against the current government. i have in fact sent you comment to the relevant dept. you are not above the law. your IP is noted!

SO ARE YOU !!!

• Like 1

The Daily Mail website should permanently be block to safe guard all innocent Thais.

I am not sure if they have been paid by Thaksin or what, but lately have been publishing a lot of negative things about Thailand, and some info is not exactly true. For example, it say Prayuth came to be PM from coup. Not true. Prayuth was elected by >97% of the voters.

Yesterday, Daily Mail has gone non-stop bad mouth Prayuth about his comment to alert women not to expose themselves too much. That is a very good fatherly advise. Nothing is wrong with that.

Was this guy smokin dope when he wrote this or is he just a plain one? Maybe he meant 97% of the ministers he put in and then they voted to make him the PM eh? If this guy was looking for a way to make people laugh he succeeded 100%.

As far as the bikinni's go didn't I read somewhere a few years ago the ministers were all up in a howl how seductively the school girls were wearing their skirts up to their um well what word can I use here and not get censored? haha. Is he suggesting the Thai chicks are ugly. Hell, there are more perverts at the schools checking out the girls than at the beaches.

it is currently agains the law to disrespect/and or incite bad feeling against the current government. i have in fact sent you comment to the relevant dept. you are not above the law. your IP is noted!

SO ARE YOU !!!

am i what?

Why do they not involve the UK police to help them. They should send a sample of the hair to UK they will test it to see if it was Asian or European.

Am sure UK have more sophisticated means of checking a lot, CTV footage they could enhance a lot.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The story edited out his comment admitting that "there always was a problem with tourist safety in Thailand". That's the key point people need to understand. But more than that, it seems like the government just accept that and have no plan to improve safety.

First my utmost sorrow for the loved ones left behind wondering how this happened. It is just so wrong for young people to come on the vacation of a lifetime and have it end like this.

The clashing of cultures must be addressed sooner or later though. People going around virtually naked in a Buddhist culture are, mostly unaware, committing an offense against the local the native people. Mixed with alcohol a disaster is in the making.

What rubbish. There has been no General Election therefore the General was not voted in by the people.. He has that role because of the Coup, fact.

How is a woman wearing a bikini on a beach exposing herself too much? Do you live on this planet, bikinis are worn safely all over the world on beaches all over the world but no one would ever be stupid enough to suggest that a beautiful woman wearing a bikini on the beach was asking to be raped and murdered,, at least not until now.

It is a stupid and insensitive comment that the poor, grieving family now have to read and it came from the PM of Thailand. Bikinis are sold all over Thailand, what does he want to do next, ban bikini sales to women who are beautiful? Who makes the judgement if they are ugly enough not to be at risk? Do you not see how totally stupid this comment was?

This does absolutely no good for the reputation of Thailand when the "leader of the country" is making remarks like this in the wake of a brutal murder.

I can assure you that people across the world will be reading his comments in disbelief exactly as I am.

Well put! Thank you!

Very poorly put. I don't like this.

In Thailand the culture is NOT to wear revealing clothes.

Anywhere else in the world ?? Middle East for example !!

Everyone always going on about living to the countries rules, but it seems, only when it suits them !

Why does anyone want to wear a bikini in a stinking hot country ? Why do it anyway ?

Abide by Thailand's cultures and don't do it !

You mean like Thai girls walking around with the shortest of shorts on, exposing their beautiful arse cheeks. Ohhh yes and the high heels and a lot of those are Lilly white hi-so's.

jb1

Here is a golf clap to you general, and yes you are a general not a PM and that is something I will never refer to you as because you are not a PM and were never voted in. You had a lot to live up to and are falling at the first hurdles my smarmy smiling friend. Kor hai khun chok dee giggle.gif

There is only one reason why foreign tourists in bikinis are tolerated on Thai beaches, and that is because of the $$$ earned from these tourists.

Most Thai people are conservative in outlook and frown upon the wearing of such clothing. Remember that most Thais are Buddhist, with a large Muslim minority (majority in the south).

Don't think for one minute that you would be welcome on the beaches of Thailand in your bikini if it were not for your money.

I have seen Thai conservatism on walking street in Pattaya and along Jomtien beach and in many other locations around Bangkok.

I have been approached early (ish) evening by men and women showing me graphic, sexual pictures and trying to coax me to go to a "ping pong" show. This is while weaving in and out of hoards of scantily dressed ladyboys along bar fronts strewn with ladies dancing provocatively to try and tempt me into go go bars. All of this in the street open for everyone to see, including the kids, very conservative.

And yet bikinis worn by women on the beach are inappropriate,,, hmmm,,, priorities skewed maybe?

Pattaya is just one huge brothel so its appropriate but that does not make jot right in other places. What a stupid comment you've made. Maybe people like you totally immerse yourself in a brothel most or all the time but if you went out and looked at most of Thailand you will not see (except maybe in tourist sex spots) such rude and inappropriate behaviour. IT might be appropriate for gay men to openly engage sex acts in their own clubs and places but that imagine if they started doing that say doggy style in a shopping mall or beach ??

(Edited by someone... Message gone!!)

Just as I thought!!

I will try again!....

&lt;deleted&gt;!!

Meanwhile Thai Girls... Women.... Ladies..... Ladyboys....... Can Parade around 1/2 to 3/4 % Naked at Schools.. Shopping Malls... On the back of Motorcycles.... at the Markets..... on the Beach and nothing is happening? I think "Not That it had anything to do with "Bikinis"!!!

More the fact the color of their skin... This is why Thailand has such a high end market for Skin Whiteners..... Maybe the best answer would be to require all tourst's to under go 2-3 weeks of Daily Tanning Salon appointments... "To tan their Bodies".... Or just maybe that was their reasoning for Booking a "Sun Holiday" in Thailand....

Lighter side... If he was wearing a Bikini.... I am so sure of it being the reason for the attack!

Yaaa.... Rightttt...!

I would not put so much pressure on searching for Males who might have been the agressor! Look at Females too!! Could have been slighted and in an aftertone of resentment unleashed a high pitch of Thai Anger!!! Just maybe when approached was because of what was being observed!!

But Give me a Break!! Had nothing to do with the wearing of a bikini!

Anyone can take lets say 25 Women from Europe and the matching number from Thailand... Who are we going to look at if you dressed them all in the same so called, Sexy... Bikini?

Sure as hell not going to spend much time gazing at anyone from United Kingdom...

Get my point.... Why most of us came here anyway... Right?

Also is regards to DNA...

Fact: We should know....

Where owner of sample is from... (Asian... American...Europian...)

Sex of Owner of Sample... (Male... Female... or if High Hormone Content... Possible Katoy?)

Now before you contaminate sample if you cannot or do not have these answers right now... We have plenty of High Standards Hospitals with Doctors Even Visiting Doctors from other Countries here on Loan... who can complete this endeavor!

If you need help.... Ask for it! If you don't have the Basic answers to the above simple questions... "You Need Help"

But again.... "Had really nothing to do with whatever they were wearing...." Be it fully clothed or a Bikini....

Thais wear bikinis too, and one only has to walk around Siam to see the short skirts students wear. I think the old fashioned conservative Thai way has been fading away for quite some time. Admittedly he is from the older generation but still...
This is just all one big 'lets blame everyone and anyone and anything, except Thais!'

• Like 1

There is only one reason why foreign tourists in bikinis are tolerated on Thai beaches, and that is because of the $$$ earned from these tourists.

Most Thai people are conservative in outlook and frown upon the wearing of such clothing. Remember that most Thais are Buddhist, with a large Muslim minority (majority in the south).

Don't think for one minute that you would be welcome on the beaches of Thailand in your bikini if it were not for your money.

I have seen Thai conservatism on walking street in Pattaya and along Jomtien beach and in many other locations around Bangkok.

I have been approached early (ish) evening by men and women showing me graphic, sexual pictures and trying to coax me to go to a "ping pong" show. This is while weaving in and out of hoards of scantily dressed ladyboys along bar fronts strewn with ladies dancing provocatively to try and tempt me into go go bars. All of this in the street open for everyone to see, including the kids, very conservative.

And yet bikinis worn by women on the beach are inappropriate,,, hmmm,,, priorities skewed maybe?

Pattaya is just one huge brothel so its appropriate but that does not make jot right in other places. What a stupid comment you've made. Maybe people like you totally immerse yourself in a brothel most or all the time but if you went out and looked at most of Thailand you will not see (except maybe in tourist sex spots) such rude and inappropriate behaviour. IT might be appropriate for gay men to openly engage sex acts in their own clubs and places but that imagine if they started doing that say doggy style in a shopping mall or beach ??

As much as I agree that his post was a little misguided, Hua Hin even has it's own red light district or gogo bar scene which is very close to the beach and sometimes you can see stranglers from the night befer at sunrise around the beach areas (I like to take sunrise photographs at around 5-6am from time to time). It isn't just Pattaya or Phuket

94.6% of Thais are Buddhist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Thailand

Topless was a legal dress in Thailand until 1941.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_cultural_mandates

Someone should remind them of their cultural tradition.

After 1941 the way of dressing you refer to was outlawed so they don't need reminding of their "cultural tradition". The most recent traditional dress covers the body, not exposes it, that is now Thailand's cultural tradition.

I like this guy. He speaks the truth. Unlike politicians who invariably lie everytime they speak. Of course this is a terrible terrible act and there can be no excuse. But he doesn't mean that. Why do people like to self sensor themselfs with all the PC stupidity.

If you see a nutter driving a bi bike and 150 km ph then you obviously think - dangerous. If you see some young attractive girsl walking around almost naked then do you not also think - dangerous. If not then your a fool.

----------------

also to anyone that actually thinks that there is free speach in UK papers then they simply need to look at the way the papers have been covering the Scottish Independence issue. Completely biased. If anyone actually ever thinks the BBC is anything but a governement propagands organisation then i have a bridge in london for sale.

God bless Thailand

The truth has a time and a place to be spoken. He is out of touch with the norms of western culture.

The parents of the murdered girl have just arrived in Thailand. Their child is dead. They don't need, nor deserve to hear, the country's "leader" sexualizing their daughter, and deflecting the blame to her, just days after she was brutalized on holiday.

I completely get your point - and I feel so sorry for the parents

- but why should he be in touch with western culture?

what about westerners being in touch with Thai culture?

• Like 2

Maybe insensitive but he has a point. There is no bikinis or even swimming suits worn by locals at local beaches and only a few westernized thais wear them at tourist places and then much bigger than western bikinis. Unfortunately.

The only thais you will see wearing western bikinis are pros looking for a custumer or already with one.

Told this years ago by the wife saying girls in bikinis are putting themselves in danger. Most loso thai men have little respect for women and just see women as meat.

The shorts under skirts are worn for a reason.

The comment that only pros wear bikinis is total bull sh#t, while not many do there are some decent Thai ladies that do own and wear bikinis. Please your definition of western bikini. I am from the South Bay of California and they wear many different styles of western bikini.

of course its total BS, but goes to prove how some TV members have lost their grasp on reality and really have no clue what they are talking about.

I have been on "works" weekends away to the beach with collegues and family members and the vast majority of the ladies from work had bikinis tops on and shorts, and virtually all of there ladies have completed higher education (masters degrees's in various subjects) and some come from some very well to do families, but I will be sure to tell them that TV's resident Thai cultural experts are of the opinion that they are whores because the wear bikini's at the BEACH..

I will concede that while swimming they put T-shirts on, but that more to do with not wanting to go "black" from the sun, but while sitting the shade, no problem sitting in the chair in their bikini's

• Like 1

Mom and Dad:

My heartfelt condolences for your loss, but you should return home and mourn there.

The police here are incompetent at best, corrupt at worst. They have no interest in finding the people that took your loved one, they only want to exonerate Thailand. Please don't torture yourselves further by entreating them to find your child's killer. They simply don't care.

Go home to familiar surroundings, family and friends.

What gives you the right to tell the parents what to do ?

There is more chance in them getting justice if they are here to push for it

If it was my kids they would have to kill me to send me home

I am with the parents if I could help them in anyway I would

It's discussing what the media have played in this roll

Changing stories not printing facts

I am sure Thais would be suspected of they were suspected

The truth is that we know nothing

Give the police a chance to do their job

But remember the longer it takes the less the forensics can help

I hate to say it but it is part of the price of coming out here

Try not to be too hard on the Thai authorities as remember why we came here in the first place

If we put too much pressure then the reasons why we came might change

1 murder on koh Tao but how many murders have there been in Jersey or guernsey in the past

I know that does not really help

But it's true

Maybe insensitive but he has a point. There is no bikinis or even swimming suits worn by locals at local beaches and only a few westernized thais wear them at tourist places and then much bigger than western bikinis. Unfortunately.

The only thais you will see wearing western bikinis are pros looking for a custumer or already with one.

Told this years ago by the wife saying girls in bikinis are putting themselves in danger. Most loso thai men have little respect for women and just see women as meat.

The comment that only pros wear bikinis is total bull sh#t, while not many do there are some decent Thai ladies that do own and wear bikinis. Please your definition of western bikini. I am from the South Bay of California and they wear many different styles of western bikini.

of course its total BS, but goes to prove how some TV members have lost their grasp on reality and really have no clue what they are talking about.

I have been on "works" weekends away to the beach with collegues and family members and the vast majority of the ladies from work had bikinis tops on and shorts, and virtually all of there ladies have completed higher education (masters degrees's in various subjects) and some come from some very well to do families, but I will be sure to tell them that TV's resident Thai cultural experts are of the opinion that they are whores because the wear bikini's at the BEACH..

I will concede that while swimming they put T-shirts on, but that more to do with not wanting to go "black" from the sun, but while sitting the shade, no problem sitting in the chair in their bikini's

Ah so they were wearing shorts not western style bikini bottoms. My point exactly. No Sarongs ?

My wife has a masters from the UK went to WWA. Best friend is a Na Ayutthaya so don't bother playing the bar stool/Hi-so welding inspector card.

well good for them, the comments, if quoted correctly were made in bad taste and are very insentitive to say the least.

Perhaps the comments are insensitive for farang,...but IMO the comments are on the minds of most Thai people,...who everyday see farang in their provocative beachwear. In Chiang Mai, I'm tempted to say dozens of times each day, "where's the beach" to these disrespectful tourists and expats.

When in Rome, do like the Romans,...when in Thailand, do like the Thai.

Bikini's belong on the beach,...not in the bars near the beach,...nor in Chiang Mai.

Sorry, but what I see when walking around here, is fat old and totally unsexy Farang women. The ones who I find provocative (or sexy) dressed when it comes to their clothes are actually the thai-girls. (high heels and short skirts).

well good for them, the comments, if quoted correctly were made in bad taste and are very insentitive to say the least.

well sorry if your offended by someone telling the truth. Stop bringing your crap western ideas here where everything is ok. Here itsw not ok for men to walk around half naked covered in tattoos or women (except in gogo bars and Pattayi bars) to go around indecently dressed and its not ok like most westerners do to enter a temple in hot pants or short skirts or to wear shoes

When in rome do as romans and stop all this crap its not appropriate here.

So all you forang who think its fine to come here parade around as you would in west your simply looked upon by all thais (including bar girls prostitutes and rest) as rude and totally low class.

Im not excusing any murders or rape but its simply not appreciated or appropriate here except in proper place being bar scene or at a private party with paid dancing girls

And coyote and karaoke bars with skimpily-clad girls with numbers pinned to their chests, both heavily patronised by many Thai men are OK then?

yes its perfectly ok because its in correct place its not ok if girls are forced to do it either by intimidation or worse expected to by their scum parents. In past some girls were forced but these days its not common and girls do it willingly.

It is however not appropriate outside the entertainment venues

I totally agree that many Thai ladies wear bikinis on the beach, My last g/f and her cousin, both from middle class (non-bar girl) backgrounds always wore them. Sorry to say Mr PM that this was usually on a Thai military beach about 5 km from Sattahip in full view of your personnel. Presumably we'll soon be seeing a sign banning such provocative attire! If it does, expect to see a sharp fall in revenues at this and other beaches. Maybe Mr PM if you are reading this post you should take a walk along the beaches of Thailand and try to understand what really makes tourists HAPPY. I can tell you it isn't some 'fuddy-duddy' paternal 19th century doctrine. It's a need for proper policing (no scams) with real and fair accessible justice system, where miscreants can't buy their way out of criminal misdeeds.

Edited by joebrown

Seems we can watch tourist numbers fall further .

Our travel agent said she had 27 people change plans since the murders took place.

Thailand is really going to feel the pinch soon

I think that is merely wishful thinking. This terrible incident is not going to destroy Thailand's tourism industry.

I don't think so either but it doesn't help with unintelligent comment especially when he is a criminal who is way out of order

But no honer in him he should step down for election and it doesn't matter if it's get better or worse as long as they are elected and it will be better for Thailand turist or industri it will be for the best

Excuse me sir. iam someone who wears a bikini and I am not a prostitute. i am Thai. I agree with you on beaches most Thais do not wear bikini but someone who is modern can do so and is NOT a prostitute. i think you are very old to think like this. i am very sorry about the British tourists and their family.

Read the first line.

though may be perceived as insensitive, in a way he is correct in that there is a % of males in the male dominated society that could/would indeed mentally process a bikini as an invitation for violence. sad but true.

LOL the anti-bikini feminist police.

i am ZERO % against bikinis nor feminist/anti-feminist nor hold grudges against those who seem incapable of processing a non complex sentence in their (native?) language

• Like 1

The Prime Minister remarks were insensitive to the real problem which is safety. Perhaps the PM should also consider banning tall buildings since several people have fallen from them here in Pattaya this year! Tourist should not be allowed to walk down streets or beaches at night because they will be mugged, attacked by lady boys or robbed! And since we are talking safety Tourist should be forbiden to drive motor scooters or cars one only has to look at the accident rate to see how many lives could be saved here! In fact all tourist every where should not be allowed to travel because planes crash and boats sink! Sarcasm!:)

UK should riase concerns about there youngsters behavier,

when they abroad !

In UK they have the police in front of every pub,

we dont want to have this situation here in Thailand as reason of brits !!

That makes concern to us !!

This isn't true. Shame you heard otherwise.

Also, quite the shame you opt to place blame on the victims and their behavior rather than that of what is obviously a deranged killer who took life for no reason. A life is a life, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, etc.

• Like 1