Phuket: Patong one-way system to change?

webfact

Phuket: Patong one-way system to change?
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1411040223_1-org.jpg
If the plan is approved, Traffic on the beach road (Thaweewong Rd) will flow in the opposite direction.

PHUKET: -- A new one-way system in Patong was being considered by police and Patong Municipality today (September 18).

If the plan is approved, traffic on Thaweewong Rd, which is currently north-bound only, will be switched to south-bound only.

Rat-U-Thit 200 Pi Rd will do the opposite; it is currently south-bound only but woud be reversed to be north-bound only.

All the connecting roads between these two roads will be two-way. These are; Soi Chalermphrakiet, Soi Haad Patong, Sawatdirak Rd, Bangla Rd, and Soi Ruamjai.

Phang Muang Sai Gor Rd will remain unchanged, but three roads between it and Rat-U-Thit 200 Pi Rd will be two-way. They are Soi Sai Nam Yen, Soi Sansabai and Soi Water Treatment.

Pol Col Jiraphat Pochanapan, superintendent of Kathu Police, told The Phuket News, “It will be a new way of driving. A public meeting will be held tomorrow afternoon (September 19, at Patong Municipality) so that members of the public can give their views on the proposal.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/patong-one-way-system-to-change-48790.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-09-19

Anybody who has been there and driven around on a scooter knows this is the correct plan and the way to go. This is not

a new plan but the taxi/tuk tuk drivers have resisted it like crazy. Easier to bilk short time tourist under the old configuration. Hopefully

under the new administration this plan will finally stick. thumbsup.gif Years in the changing. I will cross my fingers. clap2.gif

• Like 1

Why don't they just keep the main roads the same and only add 2-way for all the in between sois?

Because that won't work. For example when you drive through Haad Patong Road towards Beach Road how are you going to turn right when at the same time traffic on Beach Road coming from the south wants to turn right into Haad Patong Road. Impossible. They have to change directions as proposed. Haad Patong to Beach Road turn left, no problem. Coming from the north over Beach Road and turning left into Haad Patong Road. No problem.

post-2763-0-38513700-1411098046_thumb.pn

post-2763-0-78125400-1411098056_thumb.pn

Edited by Roel
  • Like 2

Why don't they just keep the main roads the same and only add 2-way for all the in between sois?

Because that won't work. For example when you drive through Haad Patong Road towards Beach Road how are you going to turn right when at the same time traffic on Beach Road coming from the south wants to turn right into Haad Patong Road. Impossible. They have to change directions as proposed. Haad Patong to Beach Road turn left, no problem. Coming from the north over Beach Road and turning left into Haad Patong Road. No problem.

If this change in direction is necessary to make 2-way traffic on the in between sois work, sounds good to me then.

Because it requires drivers to drive on the right-hand side of the road.

This was the original reason for it to change, because it contravenes Thailand's rules of the road.

If you switch direction, the two way sois become correct, driving on the left.

I thought they did change it a few years back but got stopped by the tuk tuks. Road arrows were changed & stayed pointing the wrong way for a while after they reversed the decision.

North end of beach road they are still there. The decision to cancel the change came literally the morning of the change after local officials caved, yet again, to threats by the tuk tuk mafia to blockade the streets.

Edited by NomadJoe

I thought they did change it a few years back but got stopped by the tuk tuks. Road arrows were changed & stayed pointing the wrong way for a while after they reversed the decision.

North end of beach road they are still there. The decision to cancel the change came literally the morning of the change after local officials caved, yet again, to threats by the tuk tuk mafia to blockade the streets.

With the new regime I doubt any blockage threat would be tolerated.

With the new regime I doubt any blockage threat would be tolerated.

Perhaps that's why they are making the change now.