E-mail inks from Thai visa do not open in browser anymore

Frenske

After automatic updating of windows XP, yes I know, but it still works great on this old notebook, I can't open the links in mails from "Breaking News" of Thai visa in Fire fox any more, and they look like this,

"http://newsletter.thaivisa.com/l/5Kvb7sP6OvPC5P0xT9L5YQ/vO3XkjTwN7634GoCZtFR1DgQ/UAMkFG1QpadarlkJ763bqW2w"

At home I use a similar notebook with the same windows version, XP SP3 with Firefox as the default browser and that doesn't have the problem after the same updates. It are only the links in the breaking news mails, links in other mails still work. Does anyone have an idea what happened and how to solve it?

I did virus checks and restored it to an earlier date from before the updates, all without positive results. I also tried the online version of outlook.com, but those links also don't open in this computer. In the past I had a problem with e-mail links because Chrome hijacked the links without being the default browser but that is not the case any more.

Sorry, I can not help you with the links, except confirm that at least the link you copied worked fine.

More worrying issue is that Thaivisa seems to track the newsletter click by individual users / email addresses. That should not happen, as it's an invasion of privacy in my opinion.

Quickly looking at the URL and comparing what I have received, the formation looks like this.

http://newsletter.thaivisa.com/l/ - basic link

5Kvb7sP6OvPC5P0xT9L5YQ/ - userID/email address

vO3XkjTwN7634GoCZtFR1DgQ/ - Article & redirect link identification

UAMkFG1QpadarlkJ763bqW2w - Newsletter idenfication.

Breaking the link seems to support this.

If the userID partition is replaced with any other string, the link still works

If I remove the Newsletter identification, the link still works

If I mess with the Article & redirect identification -> link displays a "white page" or empty page with nothing on it.

Thank you for your reply. I installed google Chrome to see if the links would work in there, even copy and paste do not work and leave a blank page, so it's not a browser problem but probably something that went wrong in the register, or in the windows system. Not being able to open these links is more of an inconvenience than a problem, and only happens with thaivisa links. The links in "Best of Thailand forum" work just fine. I will mess around with it for a while to see if I can find a solution, and in the worst case just reinstall windows.

Thank you for your time.

Frans

http://newsletter.thaivisa.com/l/5Kvb7sP6OvPC5P0xT9L5YQ/vO3XkjTwN7634GoCZtFR1DgQ/UAMkFG1QpadarlkJ763bqW2w'>http://newsletter.thaivisa.com/l/5Kvb7sP6OvPC5P0xT9L5YQ/vO3XkjTwN7634GoCZtFR1DgQ/UAMkFG1QpadarlkJ763bqW2w

Thank you for your reply. I installed google Chrome to see if the links would work in there, even copy and paste do not work and leave a blank page, so it's not a browser problem but probably something that went wrong in the register, or in the windows system. [...]

Did you try removing either the USERID/EMAIL IDENTIFIER portion and/or the NEWSLETTER IDENTIFIER portion of the link, as Oilinki did?

Could be that 'something' is modifying the url string, probably as it is sent from your computer, as Oilinki says the link is functional for him.

Sounds very strange, as even if you made changes to your antivirus/security software it shouldn't mess with the outgoing URL string.

Edited by RichCor

Thank you for your reply and help.

I found out what the problem caused, at home I use USB tethering with my mobile phone, no problems what so ever.

At school, I use wifi and the network there must have been setup badly, because when I use USB thetering again the links open normally. I tried to talk with the computer teacher who's responsible for the network, but he doesn't speak a word of english. No problem, I was about to format my notebook and reinstall windows, fortunately now I know there is no need to do that, because the problem is not with me.

Thanks, Frans