Arriving at Suvarnabhumi with no VISA, no return ticket: no problem.

Hi all,
I want to share my recent positive experience as I was a little worried about the outcome, given various rumors and recent new rules concerning immigration.
I only had a ticket from Europe to Bangkok, no valid VISA, and my passport was pretty much full of expired Thai stamps and VISAs (scoring a total of 9 months over the last 15 in Thai soil, yet remarkably the last 4 I had been back home in Europe).
Arrived at immigration in Suvarnabhumi. The female officer took a quite long read to my passport, scratched a bit her head, then asked me how long I intended to stay. I said I was planning to travel to a neighbouring country within 10 days.
No remarks or further enquiries were done, and she stamped me the 30 days visa exemption permit.

I also must say I have not seen anyone having troubles (westerner or asian), the only thing I have noticed is a bit more general care than in the past (airport staff asking to show the embark card at one check point, asking to show passport and paperwork at another spot before immigration... the officer enquiring how long I stay... but everything seemed to me relaxed, just more care).

The only person that mildly tried to cause me problems was in Europe, at the check-in: when he discovered that I had no VISA and no return ticket he seemed shocked, I had to say him I did book a flight out of the country within days after the arrival and try being convincing, and it seemed allright then ("because they - Thais, I suppose? - are becoming very strict, lastly"... really huh?)

So my message is, don't worry too much.

In many countries at the check in they wouldn't let you go if you don't have a return ticket and/or a visa justifying your unspecified period of stay in a foreign country. Therefore not at the arrival but at the departure.

Edited by Siriam
  • Like 1

When checking-in for Air Asia to DMK from Changi Airport (Singapore), I was asked to show an onward ticket even after they saw my double-entry tourist visa. Not realizing I had a double-entry, they wanted to know what my plans were after Cambodia, the destination of the first onward ticket I provide: was I going for an put-in? When I pointed put the double-entry and a second onward ticket (to Nepal), they stopped asking questions. They were most probably just over-zealous staff (though very courteous, I must say) but I would hate to miss a flight for such hassle.

Arriving at DMK, I was asked a few questions but wasn't asked to produce an outbound ticket.

When checking-in for Air Asia to DMK from Changi Airport (Singapore), I was asked to show an onward ticket even after they saw my double-entry tourist visa. Not realizing I had a double-entry, they wanted to know what my plans were after Cambodia, the destination of the first onward ticket I provide: was I going for an put-in? When I pointed put the double-entry and a second onward ticket (to Nepal), they stopped asking questions. They were most probably just over-zealous staff (though very courteous, I must say) but I would hate to miss a flight for such hassle.

Arriving at DMK, I was asked a few questions but wasn't asked to produce an outbound ticket.

"They were most probably just over-zealous staff ..."

In what way is carefully checking your plans & ticketing considered "over-zealous?"

• Like 1

I flew in to swampy on 16 September on an Emirates flight from Hong Kong just after midnight. No request on Hong Kong side for onward ticket etc. I was dressed fairly well having flown straight in from work. At immigration bkk side they stamped my passport with another 30 day exemption being an Australian passport. However my passport showed 3 previous 30 day exempts with 60 day extensions, and gaps of 3/4 days going back to Hong Kong. The immigration officer obviously noticed this after stamping my passport asked don't I have a visa, I said I'm in the process of getting one and he said Ok! Whether I was in business attire and it was 12.30am made the difference or not, seems immigration were on the look out for visa/exempt runners, for that night, well perhaps for that immigration officer anyway.

No need to worry

The Thai government is striving to retrieve back the lost tourists that fled following the political turmoil.

They don't raise problems to honest tourist who come to enjoy the Kingdom's delights.

The only reason that the officer in before the immigration boot asked you to show the formed was to assist you

and to make sure you will not delay the queue if you made a mistake.

30 day visa on arrive is the standard proceedeure

"They were most probably just over-zealous staff ..."

In what way is carefully checking your plans & ticketing considered "over-zealous?"

As far as I know, and from what I have read on this forum, an onward ticket is not needed if we hold a visa. I was holding a double-entry visa, and I still add to produce two outbound tickets, one booked & paid air ticket for each visa entry. I doubt this is required by Thai immigration, and I was asked for jone of such when I flew in at DMK.

It is good news that your passport history didn't raise any issues and that 4 months back in Europe reset your exemption count.

But of course, it wouldn't be until you try to enter the second time that you should be treated as a potential visa-runner.

• Like 1

So OP - it was impossible for you to get a Tourist Visa before departing or was it just inconvenient? I have no idea why anyone would proceed into a potential 'drama' when getting a Tourist Visa eliminates 99.99 percent of all that... Amazing what some people will do for no good reason...

Also - if getting a Visa in your home country was neigh on impossible - then flying to a regional city with a Thai Embassy or Consulate would have allowed you to get a Tourist Visa -- even a double entry Tourist Visa ... then fly on to Bkk ... But taking risk is better than planning I presume ...?

To each his own...

So OP - it was impossible for you to get a Tourist Visa before departing or was it just inconvenient? I have no idea why anyone would proceed into a potential 'drama' when getting a Tourist Visa eliminates 99.99 percent of all that... Amazing what some people will do for no good reason...

Because when staying for 30 days, or 60 after an extension, no visa in necessary.

Also - if getting a Visa in your home country was neigh on impossible - then flying to a regional city with a Thai Embassy or Consulate would have allowed you to get a Tourist Visa -- even a double entry Tourist Visa ... then fly on to Bkk ... But taking risk is better than planning I presume ...?

To each his own...

It is expensive and inconvenient to fly somewhere just to get a visa. Most flights are to Bangkok, not nearby countries.

Because when staying for 30 days, or 60 after an extension, no visa in necessary.

To each his own...

It is expensive and inconvenient to fly somewhere just to get a visa. Most flights are to Bangkok, not nearby countries.

But with a Passport / Visa track record that OP has -- the outcome was not predictable -- he was quite lucky considering recent actions of Immigration... And regional destination flights being an expense - not necessarily so ... I have routed my flight in a custom fashion on the way to Bkk and made a stop before getting on to BKK and it was not really any more expensive ... Inconvenient? Compared to what? The plausible risk of getting denied entry?... you must be joking ... It turned out okay for the OP - he was damned lucky -- but a different IO or whatever and NOT OKAY could have easily been the outcome... rolling the dice on a long trip is not good planning... But as I say - to each his own ...

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I left the USA the same way and was just ? by the ticket agent. I told her I was retired and moving to Thailand. She just said good luck.

Ah... Also Switzerland...

And India, the UK (sometimes).

In Canada and the US they have dropped all exit controls years ago. The govts have no idea when you leave the country. Sounds like you were just asked by a ticket agent that works for the airline.

But with a Passport / Visa track record that OP has -- the outcome was not predictable -- he was quite lucky considering recent actions of Immigration... And regional destination flights being an expense - not necessarily so ... I have routed my flight in a custom fashion on the way to Bkk and made a stop before getting on to BKK and it was not really any more expensive ... Inconvenient? Compared to what? The plausible risk of getting denied entry?... you must be joking ... It turned out okay for the OP - he was damned lucky -- but a different IO or whatever and NOT OKAY could have easily been the outcome... rolling the dice on a long trip is not good planning... But as I say - to each his own ...

OP was not "lucky" and his travel record is nothing special really. Thousands of people comes in everyday on visa exemption. Some were just back from clearing 11 years overstay. Others doing out-in at the infamous Phuket airport. There is no much reason to worry.

In Canada and the US they have dropped all exit controls years ago. The govts have no idea when you leave the country. Sounds like you were just asked by a ticket agent that works for the airline.

Yes, that is what the discussion is about. Not government checks, they should not and do not care.

She/they have been very understanding, I assure you that in many countries they just won't let you departing.

The reason is the airline who brings you ie to Thailand has to take you back to point of origin if you are refused entry and have no funds to buy a return ticket. This law has been in op for many years but is little understood by joe public.

• Like 1

She/they have been very understanding, I assure you that in many countries they just won't let you departing.

name the countries please

the US, I had to buy a return ticket at the counter for $3K, but had 24 hours to cancel, they would not let me board even though I had a visa, but this was on Asiana Air, I have heard of this happening in the past.

• Like 1

The reason is the airline who brings you ie to Thailand has to take you back to point of origin if you are refused entry and have no funds to buy a return ticket. This law has been in op for many years but is little understood by joe public.

Why would anyone even think about leaving their own country if they don't even have enough money for a return ticket. 6 -7 hundred dollars isn't much and if you don't have that you aint gonna last long anywhere.

name the countries please

the US, I had to buy a return ticket at the counter for $3K, but had 24 hours to cancel, they would not let me board even though I had a visa, but this was on Asiana Air, I have heard of this happening in the past.

I do not understand this. In the US you can book a flight on expedia show up at the airline with your passport and get a boarding pass - no one checks if have return funds

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply from quoted text

Why would anyone even think about leaving their own country if they don't even have enough money for a return ticket. 6 -7 hundred dollars isn't much and if you don't have that you aint gonna last long anywhere.

My 'return' flight to Perth left two months ago without me, but it didnt cost anything like that. All up, the Air Asia promo flight was less than 150AUD and I booked well in advance - most flights from Asia to Perth are much cheaper than anything to the eastern seaboard, but even there AA have some great promo deals. Granted, their seats arent refundable, but the last time I cancelled a refundable seat I got slugged with a cancellation fee - swings and roundabouts at those prices.

It is good news that your passport history didn't raise any issues and that 4 months back in Europe reset your exemption count.

But of course, it wouldn't be until you try to enter the second time that you should be treated as a potential visa-runner.

There is no count in visa exemption...