Chiang Mai Road Safety Center creates bike routes to promote Chiang Mai tourism

Lite Beer

Chiang Mai Road Safety Center creates bike routes to promote Chiang Mai tourism

CHIANG MAI, 20 September 2014 (NNT) - Chiang Mai Road Safety Center is creating bike routes to promote Chiang Mai tourism.

Chana Pangpibun, Chiang Mai Vice-governor announced that the Chiang Mai Road Safety Center is holding a discussion on the new bike trails project. It wants the public to brainstorm defensive measures to prevent road accidents involving bicycles, so as to encourage people to use their bicycles instead of vehicles. The bicycle trails management policy is divided into two parts, including a tourism route to the main district, and for general travel.

Initially, three main trails are being considered, one covers all the main roads in the city, one goes around the moat, and another passes by tourist attractions.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-09-21 footer_n.gif

for the good health of bike riders, and all citizens, suggest Vehicle Emissions Control inspection stations and necessary laws needed to eliminate the highly polluting engines from the roadways. Everything with a petrol or diesel engine can run cleaner, much cleaner than currently found. Or that vehicle off the road.

It takes years of living here too even begin to understand how bad drivers of cars here may be.

For tourists to even consider bike tours around the city is ludicrous. I am not sure that insurance companies wouldn't consider it a 'dangerous sport' and outside the scope of travel insurance.

But if he is looking for suggestions, he could start with clearing the streets of stray and loose dogs. On one of my few bicycle trips out I was 'attacked' be a vicious looking dog, and in an attempt to escape almost ended up under a truck headed in the other direction.

• Like 1

It is s start and far better than doing nothing.

Why are people so negative all the time?

99.9% of the time, I ask the same question ... and it's the reason I normally just READ this forum, but very seldom post. On this subject though, I see it as a good idea and a "start" as you say, but for some reason I foresee that "bike lane" being filled with motorbikes and pedestrians ... and if wide enough, probably tuk-tuks and/or taxis! Drivers will see it simply as "another lane of traffic" IMHO. Traffic in Thailand will remain in gridlock until the road rules are actually being enforced, instead of just being used as another cash cow for the BIB.

Edited by 4Trax

It's a waste of paint. When you ride a bicycle in Chiang Mai, it's you vs THEM. There are a couple of arterials here with reverse lanes painted in for bikes, but if you use one, don't be surprised if some maharajah in a Fortuner blows his horn at you for going the "wrong way." Riding a bicycle here is definitely the best way to get around the central area, but don't expect any slack from the "motoring public." I've ridden here daily for five years, with a bike as my only transport, and no wrecks yet. LOTS of close calls, though.

Stay out of the line of fire as much as possible, and make your way as best you can. Nobody in a motorized vehicle is going to pay any attention to "bike lanes." The roads are too narrow and congested, and it's a struggle. Go forth boldly.

I am amazed but thrilled that this subject has even been broached by authorities. While I am a bike rider and live in CM 3-4 months of the year I tend to confine my riding to climbing up to Doi Suthep or out canal road exactly because of dangerous Thai drivers. I know there are bike clubs in the city who can provide considerable input. I hope they are consulted. But alas writers are correct in pointing out any attempt along these lines will fail if the police continue to allow the dangerous driving practices you see throughout the city. And sadly I don't see that changing. If you are in a 3000 lb + vehicle most Thais assume they can drive any way they want

99.9% of the time, I ask the same question ... and it's the reason I normally just READ this forum, but very seldom post. On this subject though, I see it as a good idea and a "start" as you say, but for some reason I foresee that "bike lane" being filled with motorbikes and pedestrians ... and if wide enough, probably tuk-tuks and/or taxis! Drivers will see it simply as "another lane of traffic" IMHO. Traffic in Thailand will remain in gridlock until the road rules are actually being enforced, instead of just being used as another cash cow for the BIB.

That has got to be post of the day. Moan about people being negative, then post nothing positive, just negative complaints about motorcyclists, pedestrians, tuktuk and taxi drivers, state that gridlock will remain, rules aren't being enforced and the police see another cash cow.

I'd hate to see you on a bad day!

As long as bike lanes are well considered, I think cycling could really take off. The soi dog problem is 90% gone in Chiang Mai, the roads are flat, the weather for a considerable part of the year good for cycling. Hope it works out.

I am a cyclist and live in CM, SanSai, to be exact. I rode 6000 km last year.

The OP doesn't say anything about "bike lanes" just "bike routes." Bike routes are regular roads with routes marked by signage. They might have a slightly wider shoulder to accommodate cyclists, but actual bike lanes require maintenance that Thailand is not prepared to provide.

You are correct about bike lanes. A good example is the one on Route 1006 going through BoSang/Sankhampaeng. It's not maintained, with large cracks and potholes. It's littered with tree branches and other debris, mainly because no real cyclists use it. That's a vicious cycle: It's full of debris because no one uses it because it's full of debris . . . It's also considered to be a parking lane (which IMO is a better use of the space). It's much better, faster, safer to get out there and ride with the traffic. Most people with a decent bike can keep up with or pass the grannies on motorcycles with babies on their laps.

What's missing from the list of roads is routes out of the city into some gorgeous rural areas. For a start, the roads on both sides of the river, north and south should be made bike routes. They're safe and mostly smooth, with light traffic not moving too fast. Roads following canals would be another good addition to the list.

It's a waste of paint. When you ride a bicycle in Chiang Mai, it's you vs THEM. There are a couple of arterials here with reverse lanes painted in for bikes, but if you use one, don't be surprised if some maharajah in a Fortuner blows his horn at you for going the "wrong way." Riding a bicycle here is definitely the best way to get around the central area, but don't expect any slack from the "motoring public." I've ridden here daily for five years, with a bike as my only transport, and no wrecks yet. LOTS of close calls, though.

Stay out of the line of fire as much as possible, and make your way as best you can. Nobody in a motorized vehicle is going to pay any attention to "bike lanes." The roads are too narrow and congested, and it's a struggle. Go forth boldly.

But at least after they create and mark out these wonderful bicycle lanes, can we please ask Khun Chana to ensure that selfish and thoughtless drivers get booked for parking on themblink.png

Well that's good start I'd say. I have seen many visitors in Chiang Mai renting and using bikes and sure I'd like to safe bike routes being developed by the chiang Mai officials become reality. There are other ways to promote bicycling also, for example in Mexico City on Sundays many of the major roads are closed off to cars and handed over to "small wheels" such as bicycles, skateboarders, rollerbladers, parents with children in strollers etc. Supposedly they come out in tens of thousands. Inspired by the success of Mexico City, the City of Los Angeles now has CICLAVIA, a play on words in Spanish with the LA in the middle. It attracts cyclists in hundreds of thousands. I am not sure about the frequency but they have staged 9 open streets events since 2010. Of course staging such events requires a lot of resources but Chiang Mai already has regular Walking Street events. The next even is scheduled for Sunday, October 5th.

New York City has invested heavily in implementing bikeways throughout the city with three classes of bikeways, Class I, Class II and Class III. The Class I bikeways are totally separated from both vehicles and pedestrians; Class II bikeways are denoted with paint between parked vehicles and traffic lanes; Class III bikeways are simply marked by signage as well as painting on the roads showing a bike as well as arrows, they are called "Sharrows." It takes a while for motorists and bicyclists to get used to these.

The correct bicycle riding position within a lane is where a driver usually sits, this seems dangerous but experienced bicyclists in the US do ride in that position, especially when the street signage indicates the route as a bicycle route, of course this leads to many altercations between the bicyclists and the motorists who do not understand the rules.

The Chiang Mai officials should know that resources are readily available from the cities that have bikeways and the appropriate government and planning officials are very receptive to helping other jurisdictions such as Chiang Mai if they were approached for help. There seems to be worldwide cooperation among bicycle organizations. I am sure if they were to approach the American Consulate in Chiang Mai a lot of technical help and exchange of information as well as expertise would be arranged.