Thailand beach murders: Hannah Witheridge and David Miller may have argued in bar with gangster

Lite Beer

How many more mystery people on CCTV still to come ?

How do they know he's a gangster but don't know who he is, so much for local knowledge by the island BIB or are there reasons they don't ' know '.

When in a hole u can afford to stop digging but not the BIB it seems.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mentioned this last week, there was something about it being tweeted (I haven't been able to locate the tweets yet) It beggars belief that Thai plod are so inept and/or corrupt. that they haven't picked up on this. Maybe the MP should unblock access They should be DNA testing every body on the island... It'a hardly rocket science.. The PM should unblock the DM website and the police can learn who to speak to without having to actually having to do the hard work!

• Like 1

This is not really surprising, but again the BIB then bring drugs into it, almost appears that they wish to tarnish the victims of this heinous crime. I've said from the start, it was someone connected, and this is a cover up. Nothing so far has led me to change this belief.

The eyes of the world are on The BIB and so far they haven't disappointed in confirming their reputation.

• Like 2

One thing that surprised me about Ko Toa is how late its bars shut. Walking home in the dark on a beach pitch black isn't a good idea. Why did they return to their hotel that way is there lit up areas on the beach now? I've been there twice and there was no lighting next to the beach. Also there is news reports of a second weapon a stick, can anyone confirm this? And the Chris Ware going home is to me strange, if it were my best mate from childhood killed I'd stay and try to help find out who did this to him. The gangster theory seems a little far fetched more over its a national vacationing on Ko To a who has returned home by now.

Cant say I know Koh Tao very well but i believe it to be similar to Koh Pangan in terms of a few powerful families running the place and all the illegal activities. In the past in KPG it has been well known that perpetrators of killings by associates or family members have been allowed to disappear from the islands till the dust settled so to speak . many on the island knew exactly who was behind crimes in the past on this island so if we all knew its hard to believe the police didnt.

Its annoying to keep hearing speculation every 5 minutes from the police instead of shutting the F up and getting on with serious police work.

• Like 2

The reason this murder will never be solved is that there will never be "hold back" evidence. "Hold back" evidence that only the killer(s) would know. "Loose lips sink ships". Well this ship has sunk. They released WAY too much information that is in the hands of everyone now. A defence lawyer will be able to come up with a story to acquit the killer. "My client (said gangster) had an argument in the bar and it became physical where my client was scratched and his DNA ended up under her fingernails, but he did not kill her and rape her".

These investigators need some foreign intervention and TRAINING. The only thing they can figure out is how much they need to take in "fines" each month to supplement their paltry salaries.

• Like 1

I ask the reader here to refrain from any softening of resolve.

Thais understand this website represents westerner opinion .

Though , i hold some respect for the latest, i know it is about time.

Thais will bite time.

No one can deny this is their mentality.

Don't fall for this trap.

Wait.

This is the generals moment .

He can become "internationally credible " If he has the stomach to crucify the criminals" not literally , but figuratively tough….

Even if protected - arrest them…..

If he transcends the red tape and give "US westerners "" our justice he will indeed be able to deem himself "an arrival on the world stage""

But execution is very necessary to heal these deep wounds ….

You can become very believable if you arrest and kill these bastards

"Thais understand this website represents westerner opinion ."

That's a very misguided opinion.

This site does not represent "westerner opinion" at all, it posts the (usually ill-informed*) views of a very limited number of people registered to the forum. Very few Thais, and relatively few westerners, have any idea of the existence of ThaiVisa and those that do generally have no interest in the views* of it's posters.

* I'm not trying to denegrate TV posters but most views expressed here are backed by dubious information from very unreliable sources and then regurgitated usually with a rather imaginative twist.

Most people understood by the reference ""Thais"" i meant Government *(who do monitor )

• Like 1

And the plot thickens ..... For once, can the police shut up and do their work instead of blabbering all kind of rumours to the local press boys, pretty please ?

Are we about to hear about "The aliens from outer space did it"? Makes as much sense as every other theory the local law enforcement "professionals" have offered. rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

The PM should unblock the DM website and the police can learn who to speak to without having to actually having to do the hard work!

You mean Daily Mail -= DM Website?

Is not blocked in the moment, was once when I tried yesterday evening, but not now, whistling.gif

From Udon Thani in the countryside.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2762055/Thai-divers-hunt-missing-murder-weapon-tourists-flock-spot-British-duo-murdered.html

Depends on your ISP, not where in Thailand you are. It's blocked for me.

The OP starts with 'may have'.

Really; what is the point of commenting on more ifs and buts, until evidence is presented?

Forget it; it's a waste of your time and alls' included.

As for the continued masquerading CID officers and dreaming aliens....... pathetic. Keep your ideas to yourselves, instead of insulting relatives hoping for valid news.

The PM should unblock the DM website and the police can learn who to speak to without having to actually having to do the hard work!

Is not blocked in the moment, was once when I tried yesterday evening, but not now, whistling.gif

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2762055/Thai-divers-hunt-missing-murder-weapon-tourists-flock-spot-British-duo-murdered.html

I just read it OK..

• Like 1

My feeling is that the local BIB are seriously trying to cover up and protect an island hi-so, and in the process, blaming everyone EXCEPT a Thai. That was evident from the statement about how no Thai could every do something like this. Oh, really? Must not read the paper or watch the news much, as Thai are killing and raping Thai every day of the week.

First it was blamed on Burmese - always the first target.

Then on the friends of the victim - sure, why not. Oops, that didn't pan out so well for them.

Now the focus is on the Rohinga - Next?

Aliens did it? Most likely, but in their minds, it just COULDN'T have been a wonderful, Buddhist loving Thai.

where is the statement that a thai would never do something like this??? please post link.

Is this drama ever going to end in an arrest and conviction police are looking for anyone who will confess and now a gangster he should be easy to find as I am sure police would have been involved with him if he was a gangster, so it will be case closed in the next couple of days.

If there is any truth to this, the NCPO should have no trouble sending a squad of soldiers to arrest the gangster, even if local police are too scared. They have even arrested the former major of Patong and his son, who must be far more influential and wealthy than gangsters operating on Koh Tao. Police involvement in the crime is also a possibility that could explain the lack of progress in the investigation but plain incompetence is more likely.

• Like 2

It is supposed to be blocked, owing to publication of a certain video a couple of months ago, but they evidently have not blocked it very effectively.

i live in Udon Thani and use True Hi-Speed Internet. The Daily Mail site is blocked as is any news item on Yahoo UK etc which is sourced to the Mail.

• Like 1

Has it really taken them a week to find out what many expected from the start. I am sure half of koh Tao knows exactly who did it. I would also be sure the local police know exactly who did it.

How they can keep this under wraps is shocking, especially now bkk police are involved.

Things need to change Thailand, the eyes of the world are on you.

So sorry for the 2 souls, and the family they were taken from.

Spot on. Thailand is a laughing stock. No respect at all!

It is just as well that TV keep refreshing this tragedy with a new thread.

Progress is so (deliberately) slow that the danger is we would all lose interest otherwise.

Interview eye witnesses at ACBar that night?

Duh!

The word gangster and mafia, are thrown around quite a lot in Thailand, but then if you think what a gangster is, usually someone with no morals, no value on life etc. that does sort of sum up most low life Thai men, so most are gangsters or wannabees, can't believe BIB were so quick to rule out Thais, I've never met a society with such low morals. I met with Thais saving face, can't let nothing lie, if locals just wanted to rape western women I'm sure there are single girls for them to attack, but they chose this girl, so there is more to it than just having sex, you piss a Thai off they will get their revenge

• Like 1

one of the things that come to my mind is jordan van der sloot in aruba a few years back. alot of similar actions and inactions from authorities, police, and locals just as reading and hearing about in the news and tv. worldwide.

what ever did happen these young tourists did not deserve this outcome.

the one thing certain is the thais do care about money and tourism especially these small holiday islands where rapes/murders/assaults have happened on all the islands past/present/or the future and most times not much is done. this maybe the straw that broke the back if the parents of the deceased start a campaign to avoid/boycot thailand just has the parents did on aruba. it will have direct and financial impact where it actually hurts and thais understand.

I would just mention that the notion that no Thai would do such a thing, and it must be foreigners - probably from Burma or Cambodia- is widespread among Thais, not just the BiB.

My adult stepson is currently in UK, and assures everyone that no Thai could have done this. He gets genuinely upset to think a Thai could have done it.

And he may shortly embark on a career with none other than the Royal Thai Police.......which I suspect will be an education to us both.

• Like 1

Police are probing claims a drug called “ya ba” - pill available in certain bars on the island - may have been involved in the murder.

Looks like another attempt of the BIB to put more afford into finding any reason to blame the victims for their murder than to seriously investigate the case.

Edited by Lupatria
  • Like 1

It's increasingly obvious that an untouchable Thai man is responsible for this and will never be caught. This is what happens in a society where certain people are above the law and know they can get away with murder. Most young men learn to cope with rejection but this guy feels he can have any woman he wants and commits murder if he doesn't get her. The product of a sick society.

I like the way you refer to the murderer as 'untouchable' rather than 'hi-so' as some have been labelling him.

The idea that in any way, shape or form members of these 3+ rich mafia families on Koh Tao can be thought of as 'high society' is a travesty in itself.

I can think of some suitable words to describe these families and their sick kids but it ain't 'Hi-so'.