Thai Transport Minister mulling plans to collect congestion fee

webfact

Transport Minister mulling plans to collect congestion fee

BANGKOK, 22 September 2014 (NNT) – The Transport Minister is considering plans to help ease traffic conditions in Bangkok, including the collection of congestion fee.

Transport Minister Air Chief Marshal Prajin Juntong said that the ministry has been speeding up the construction of electric train systems in Bangkok and between Bangkok and surrounding cities as well as the enhancement of connectivity between public land and water transportation in order to attract more people to switch to the mass transit system.

ACM Prajin said, currently, more than 8 million personal cars and motorcycles are running in the capital and more are expected to take to the street every year.

He added that about 56% of commuters in Bangkok are driving their own vehicles, making around 950,000 trips throughout the city each day.

So, the Transport Minister said that congestion fee may be initiated if the mass public transportation service covers more areas of Bangkok in the future, in order to discourage motorists from driving their own vehicles.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-09-22 footer_n.gif

they should taxing foreigners who claim "residency" in Thailand, ie if in country more than 180 days a year, you will be paying income tax...wink.png

Brilliant idea.....obviously you're not a resident of Thailand.......what taxes would you expect me to pay?

I don't work here...I earn no money here.......but I do pay VAT on everything......!!

• Like 1

thailand is very quickly becoming the HUB of taxationbah.gif in Asia...how a third world country expects its population to pay all these taxs from 300baht a day is beyond me, personal household debt is already out of control

I don't think people earning 300 baht a day drive their own vehicles!

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

they should taxing foreigners who claim "residency" in Thailand, ie if in country more than 180 days a year, you will be paying income tax...wink.png

Tax is already extracted from us. We pay 7% VAT on most things plus whatever tax (duty) is applied to items we import or are imported by shopkeepers we buy.

Plus we pay 15% tax on the interest our savings accrue.

And there are those that work here.....already paying income tax.

That would be a good way for Thailand to rid itself of a lot of foreigners, and thereby lose a lot of money those foreigners spend (probably much more than they would earn on a tax).

If Thailand tries to tax my foreign income, I am outa here for sure. That are other countries far more farang and retirement friendly.

Now if Thailand implemented a token income tax on foreign income, PLUS provided 5 year (or longer) visas, with no 90 day reporting, plus the right to purchase property for personal use, I might reconsider.

I think the smiley meant he was being a little "playful" - especially as theoretically that is already the law.......smile.png

(or at least that you should file a return)

Edited by topt

That would be a good way for Thailand to rid itself of a lot of foreigners, and thereby lose a lot of money those foreigners spend (probably much more than they would earn on a tax).

If Thailand tries to tax my foreign income, I am outa here for sure. That are other countries far more farang and retirement friendly.

Now if Thailand implemented a token income tax on foreign income, PLUS provided 5 year (or longer) visas, with no 90 day reporting, plus the right to purchase property for personal use, I might reconsider.

I guess you have only lived in Thailand because nearly all countries tax people who stay more than 6 months in any year, some even make retirees pay tax.

• Like 1

Brilliant idea.....obviously you're not a resident of Thailand.......what taxes would you expect me to pay?

I don't work here...I earn no money here.......but I do pay VAT on everything......!!

14 years "resident" and paying income tax for every one of those years dear boy wink.png

although my remark was intended at being factious some of the responses are really insightful from TV posters who have claim Thailand is their home, they are resident, they want to grow the "economy" and contribute, yet here they are being so opposed to paying income tax...whistling.gif

What I would expect you to do, is register as a tax payer in Thailand and submit an income tax return every year of course there will be those who are paying tax in other countries, ie on pensions etc and under reciprocal tax agreements they may not be liable to pay tax in Thailand.

one suspects this move will generate significant income to Thailands coffer's, as we know all farangs living Thailand are rich, you read it every day on TV so one suspects most are in the THB 4.0m/yr tax brackets, so the 30%+ rate would be applicable...thumbsup.gif

Edited by Soutpeel

I guess you have only lived in Thailand because nearly all countries tax people who stay more than 6 months in any year, some even make retirees pay tax.

Agreed...I suspect a lot on here have only ever lived in farangistan and decided to become "global travellers" and moved to Thailand and started complaining its not like home and acting like old colonials..thumbsup.gif .

your response is so predictable....a "token tax" but I might reconsider it ....laugh.png you people make me laugh, something for nothing and self entitlement, you forgot to ask for a free work permit for working on line ...rolleyes.gif

if there are countries which are more farang and retirement friendly... why are you here then lad go to your land of milk and honey then....thumbsup.gif

thailand is very quickly becoming the HUB of taxationbah.gif in Asia...how a third world country expects its population to pay all these taxs from 300baht a day is beyond me, personal household debt is already out of control

They can join the rest of the world; no one in the US supporting a family on min wage could ever possibly hope to own their own vehicle

Where did you see he mentioned 300 baht a day? In UK money that nearly £6 and in US$ over $9. If it is implemented then car sharing may become an attractive option.

Cant' speak for other countries but just to update you! Brits already pay UK income tax. Are you suggesting the double taxation agreement is scrapped? How crass!

May not be a completely bad idea. Something needs to be done to... err... unlock the gridlock, as it were, before it gets worse. Actually it is bad enough already. However, they should make sure the public transport system is up to mark - reliable, efficient, on schedule and safe - before implementing congestion charges.

Edited by outsider

Cant' speak for other countries but just to update you! Brits already pay UK income tax. Are you suggesting the double taxation agreement is scrapped? How crass!

I am "Brit" and I most certainly dont pay UK income tax and infact I have a "letter" from HM which says I am non-resident for tax purposes....thumbsup.gif

I dont believe reciprocal tax agreements should be scrapped, but believe if someone claims "residency" in Thailand, by virtue of being in country more than 180 days per year they should be submitting a tax return in Thailand, which would detail where they are paying tax on their income under reciprocal tax agreeements, If you are already paying tax on your income somewhere, its shouldnt be taxed twice, but if your income attracts no provable tax payments anywhere, Thailand should have the right to tax you on these monies as you are resident for tax purposes in Thailand even under the current tax laws.

There are several ways other than taxation to help traffic congestion. Taxation will not work and is impossible to apply.

1. Donate a zone around the city and anyone who drives into this zone between certain hours, say between 0600 and 0800 with less than 4 persons in the vehicle receive a hefty fine, 2000 baht.

2. On alternate days only vehicles with registration plates ending with odd numbers allowed. The other day only those ending with even numbers allowed.

3. Create a ring of carpark stations around the city with free transport, minimum 20 seat buses, into the city centre. This system works well in many cities.

The exception to these rules would be emergencies and taxis. This would be easy to police but difficult to stop corruption in the system unless a form of built in vehicle identification is employed. This technology is available.

This idea has merit when it can be applied to vehicles that contribute to congrestion.

Simply apply an additional, ie., 1%, license tax for all those personal vehicles licensed to residents in and around designated congested areas. The license fee collection is already automated so implementation is simply a software coding exercise. The additional funds so collected can be transferred to mass transit accounts for service and maintenance costs.

The emphasis here should not be on collecting the congestion charge, but on deterring use of private vehicles within the city at the same time as promoting the use of public transport.

Control of on street parking, bus and taxi restricted lanes, expansion of the BTS and MRT as well as the introduction of more BRT (rapid buses) and an updated public bus fleet would do wonders for getting around Bangkok.

Couple that with better use of integrated traffic light control (Intelligent Transport Systems) and it would be a great city to travel in.

Once you do this, you can restrict the Song taews and the minibuses to acting as feeders to and from the BRT, BTS and MRT and you leave just public taxis, tuk-tuks and motorcycle taxis as the short range transport providers.

I can dream!

Edited by Classic Ray

The emphasis here should not be on collecting the congestion charge, but on deterring use of private vehicles within the city at the same time as promoting the use of public transport.

Control of on street parking, bus and taxi restricted lanes, expansion of the BTS and MRT as well as the introduction of more BRT (rapid buses) and an updated public bus fleet would do wonders for getting around Bangkok.

Couple that with better use of integrated traffic light control (Intelligent Transport Systems) and it would be a great city to travel in.

Once you do this, you can restrict the Song taews and the minibuses to acting as feeders to and from the BRT, BTS and MRT and you leave just public taxis, tuk-tuks and motorcycle taxis as the short range transport providers.

I can dream!

An excellent post!

It is indeed amazing that for such a large city people can park on inner city streets for the whole day and without any charge!! The expansion of the metro network is about 10-15 years behind where it should be. Some lines have been delayed by years which has obviously exacerbated the traffic problem. (though status wise some people will always drive over taking a metro even if it takes them 3 times as long).

We'll have the basic network once the Purple, Blue Line ext, SRT Dark Red Line and BTS ext to Samut Prakhan all open in 2016/17. By 2020/21 once the Pink, Yellow, Orange lines and ARL ext are all built Bangkok will have geographic coverage to all areas (assuming that they are all tendered by next year) http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/406991-the-new-skytrain/page-12

There were plans for 10 BRT lines but it has fallen out of favour for now. Bus fleet wise, the planned purchased of 5000 new NGV buses first proposed in 2009 became 3200 buses under the previous govt and the whole procurement has been beset by delays, corruption allegations and politics. Such that no 1 new bus has been purchased in those 5 years!!!

Currently the plan is to try to purchase 489 new buses by early next year but that plan is also having problems and on hold with disabled people rightly complaining that low floor buses should be purchased.

Dispensing with local police controlling traffic lights would also be a good move. The BKK Traffic Control center opened 6 years ago but still we have the police creating more problems than they solve.