Do I have to transfer my current visa to a new passport?

in my case I got my new passport, I went to my immigration office with the new one and the old one and they stamped the new one

and that was it. Nothing changes as far as the visa goes, you just have a new passport.

It doesn't cost anything to do that either.

^ I think it's free.

Btw: If you go to Immigration also take the letter with you the Embassy gives you that you have been issued a new passport

Its not done at the Embassy anymore its been outsourced to this 'Trendy building' place, do they give you the letter or do you have to go extra to the Embassy to get it......that will cost.

I picked up my new passport last month -- from trendy house you have to go to the Embassy to get your letter to transfer visas -- trendy ho does not issue the letter.

Liverpool probably issued his visa. It is a rarity for the visa to be transferred at an embassy or consulate. Most will tell you to use both passports until your visa expires.

The original visa of my friend was issued in Birmingham. As he lives in North Wales he renewed his passport in Liverpool. He enquired over the telephone with the Thai Consulate in Liverpool regarding the transfer of his visa, was told there was no problem, advised of the fee, and was acutally able to do it by post rather than visit the consulate in person. This was about 18 months ago.

My US passport expires August of 2015, I'm here on a yearly extension that expires on Feb 20th, 2014

I have a appointed to renew my passport on October 3rd, I was told to obtain a letter from the US Embassy so I can take everything to Immigration and have my extension etc... transfer at no cost.

^ I think it's free.

Btw: If you go to Immigration also take the letter with you the Embassy gives you that you have been issued a new passport

Its not done at the Embassy anymore its been outsourced to this 'Trendy building' place, do they give you the letter or do you have to go extra to the Embassy to get it......that will cost.

I picked up my new passport last month -- from trendy house you have to go to the Embassy to get your letter to transfer visas -- trendy ho does not issue the letter.

Free of charge ? would be most unusual if our embassy passed up a chance to make some money from their lousy service to expats

My US passport expires August of 2015, I'm here on a yearly extension that expires on Feb 20th, 2014

I have a appointed to renew my passport on October 3rd, I was told to obtain a letter from the US Embassy so I can take everything to Immigration and have my extension etc... transfer at no cost.

Your extension probably expires feb 20th, 2015 ?

A good time to renew your passport would then be beginning feb 2015. That will make it live longer than doing it in Oct and you would do a single trip to immigration.

Actually you could renew it even in July, initially you would be given an extension expiring together with the old passport, then when you have the new one, immigration would update it to regular length at no cost.

"retirement visa" does not exist, although some people call a Non-imm O-A a retirement visa.

If that is the case why is the visa in my passport clearly stamped 'Retirement'

You probably have the visa that most tend to ignore, the UK Non Imm O retirement visa based on state pension.

Liverpool probably issued his visa. It is a rarity for the visa to be transferred at an embassy or consulate. Most will tell you to use both passports until your visa expires.

The original visa of my friend was issued in Birmingham. As he lives in North Wales he renewed his passport in Liverpool. He enquired over the telephone with the Thai Consulate in Liverpool regarding the transfer of his visa, was told there was no problem, advised of the fee, and was acutally able to do it by post rather than visit the consulate in person. This was about 18 months ago.

Up until the time Hull revamped their website, they also had a PDF document on Visa transfer to a new passport. They also charged £10.00.