Bangkok taxi drivers call for fare increase

webfact

If they did not make much money there would not be so many taxi's. Increasing by 20% is just crazy.. Just put 15 baht on the starter rate and let them be happy. Plus any taxi driver that wont take a fair should get fined.

Yes, and prostitutes in Thailand MUST be so overpaid because there are so many of them?

Did you ever consider maybe there are so many of both because there are so many desperate people in Thailand (or perceive themselves to be)?

15 baht flag fall would certainly lower the number of Taxis in BKK, probably by 90%--who's going to drive for that?

I've experienced more so-called extortion attempts from cabbies in BKK the last few years but maybe that's because the fares are too low! And as has been said above I've had mostly decent drivers though I tend to wave by questionable-looking drivers and cars. I certainly haven't minded getting around BKK by taxi so cheaply all these years but have to agree those guys (mostly) doing that very unpleasant job should be paid more.

It would be nice if that increase were tied to some standards and/or enforcement thereof in terms of drivers' professionalism and condition of the cars. One can dream…..

• Like 1

I use NGV car (Altis) and seems a dream to travel 0.75 B / Km.

I pick up usually for 140 - 150 B the gas and the odometer shows around 200 Km when it runs out. (of course inside the city under, outside the town over).

But I have to use also gasoline (E20, 34 B/L) for start the engine of car, this need 500 B for around 1600 Km in odometer when it runs out.

So all together 1 Km around 1 B.

With LPG this cost is 1.5 B/ Km (1.5 - 2 L engine)

With Diesel this cost around 2.75 - 3.25 B / Km (2.0 - 3.0 L engine).

The taxi fares are so cheap now, this is not question at all.

• Like 1

Drove a cab it sucked 45 baht flag down fair then 1 to 3 baht adjust per kilometer also if traffic heavy wait rule per minute charge. Usually on a 35 to 50 baht ride I give 100 baht say keep the change. Air port meter only I pay toll cost of ride about 250 to condo I pay 300. always tip never know if raining they remember you you get ride.

Thailand has one of the best taxi systems as far as availability and affordability.

Here in the US (Washington, DC) a taxi costs approx. $20 USD just to get inside and drive blocks. God forbid if the driver touches any of your luggage, which they are now making mandatory (for liability purposes).

Be warned if fares increase it will put some drivers out-of-business as people will look at other transportation options based on affordability.

• Like 1

yes, and salmon costs more than rice. compare like for like

As a taxi driver in Oz I get a 120B flag fall and about 80B per KM.

How the poor sods who drive in BKK make a living I could not comprehend. I appreciate there are different cost of living factors, but they deserve a price rise. We get a cost of living adjustment once a year (the last 2 years under 3% angry.png ), it is a pity they BKK drivers do not get this.

At present, the production cost of NGV in Thailand is at 15-16 baht per kilogramme but the fuel is sold at 10.5 baht per kilogramme.

After the price increase, taxi drivers can still use their licence to purchase the fuel at 8.5 baht per kilogramme.

-------------

So, is the price of NGV going up for taxis or not?

This increase will only benefit the drivers that use their meters. Who can complain about that? I, for one, will not complain. And I tip too! I watch my pennies, of course, but I don't inflict it on people who are trying to make a living in the name of being cheap.

Duh.xwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ic.FVjgnKnWS1.p

Edited by FangFerang
  • Like 1

"then they may return to the previous bargaining system again and no metre use which will do no good to passengers"

Return?

Yes, return, taxis have not always had meters.

Metered taxis have only been around for about 20 years or maybe a bit more. Before that every trip required a negotiated fare.

Bangkok had metered taxis when I visited (R & R) in 1965.

I have to agree. Its 12 midnight and no one wants to take you with a starting fare of 35B after midnight make it 50B I think is fair and we dont have to suffer bargaining when all you want to do is get home!!

I'd make it 35 baht extra's to start the clock (70 baht) after midnight plus 10 baht for each extra passenger

Midnight to 6am.

• Like 2

"then they may return to the previous bargaining system again and no metre use which will do no good to passengers"

Return?

Yes, return, taxis have not always had meters.

They were made compulsory in 1992.

I think you will find that they did have to have a taxi meter in order to work as a taxi. This was the case in 1970-76 anyway. Not sure of the the rules since. Of course the taxi meters importer were a monopoly of someone with influence.

'... 20% increase in taxi fare ... extension of service years ... exemption of tax for car ... for taxi services.' Don't want much, do they? They need to learn that negotiations of this kind start with a commitment to raise standards; no exceptions, no excuses.

'... if taxi is forced to use the same metre[sic] rate or 35 baht ... they may return to the previous bargaining system ...' Return to it? Many haven't left it! Wake up, Rip van Vitoon.

It's great to see the Taxi Assiciation Network is demanding higher fares and, if not, they follow by an extortion onto the government!!!!!!!!!

Does anybody can stop this way of dealing for whatever had to be dealed!

I would take them all to prison!

Poor Prayut! You cant win this game! Or just handle with iran hands!

For all the whining about Bangkok Taxis they continue to provide a very good and very cheap service to millions of people every year. I'd rather get refused a few times than to pay through the nose for a taxi in most every other major city on the planet.

Bangkok Taxis are one of the great bargains anywhere. Period.

I have to agree. Its 12 midnight and no one wants to take you with a starting fare of 35B after midnight make it 50B I think is fair and we dont have to suffer bargaining when all you want to do is get home!!

I have to say it's fair, but exactly fair your avatar image smile.png))))))))))))))))))))))

I much rather they raise the tax on gas in the greater Bangkok area, to slow down all the car driving in Bangkok, and the new car sales. Too much traffic and pollution in Bangkok! Make more people to use public transportation, and relieve some of this traffic in BKK. While I'm stuck in traffic, I'm always thinking about how the traffic in the future will be, when more people have cars. Traffic sucks now, and it's going to get much worst in the future, when more people have cars.

Less traffic means taxi's can make more money, and less stress for everyone. The extra tax can build more roads, and commuter trains. I know...it's a pipe dream.

I much rather they raise the tax on gas in the greater Bangkok area, to slow down all the car driving in Bangkok, and the new car sales. Too much traffic and pollution in Bangkok! Make more people to use public transportation, and relieve some of this traffic in BKK. While I'm stuck in traffic, I'm always thinking about how the traffic in the future will be, when more people have cars. Traffic sucks now, and it's going to get much worst in the future, when more people have cars.

Less traffic means taxi's can make more money, and less stress for everyone. The extra tax can build more roads, and commuter trains. I know...it's a pipe dream.

Id say less taxis most are driving around empty and blocking roads. Without all those taxis those of us who own cars could finally make some progress. Its not the lack of roads actually its taxis clogging it all up when they park on bus stops then the minvan next to it and then a bus stopping next to that. Gone are 3 lanes of road. My solution less taxis will give a much better flow of traffic for 2 reasons, many drive empty and if they stop they block it for everyone.

Plus less taxis will make it better for the remaining taxi drivers.

Sure, let them have a fare raise

BUT

They must ALL have seatbelt clips in the backseat.

Staggering that all those taxis don't let a passenger belt up.

My solution:

Police officers may stop any empty taxi (i.e. no passengers, red light on) and if they can't see the seat belt clips in the backseat, then automatic 500 baht fine that is allowed to go straight in the Policeman's pocket - yep, allowable corruption for this situation.

If the driver doesn't have 500 baht, the cop may wait with him till he does, or report to the taxi owner.

In a week, all taxis will have the seatbelt clips (formerly tucked under the back seat) for use everytime.

Taxi drivers will not want to part with 500 baht and Police will be incentivised to stop any taxi they can to check

Then at least we can have some slight respite from the total vulnerability felt when in the hands of less "expert" drivers

Crackdown on back seatbelts is long overdue

As a taxi driver in Oz I get a 120B flag fall and about 80B per KM.

How the poor sods who drive in BKK make a living I could not comprehend. I appreciate there are different cost of living factors, but they deserve a price rise. We get a cost of living adjustment once a year (the last 2 years under 3% angry.png ), it is a pity they BKK drivers do not get this.

They pay a lot less in gas than you do.