Offshore lads. What bank do you get paid into?

Franky Bear

I have used my BKK Bank account for about 15 years now to transfer in salaries from overseas, never had a problem. USD comes in and is converted to THB immediately.

I have 3 credit cards with them, had to deposit an amount equivalent to the credit limit, in another account though.

I have used my BKK Bank account for about 15 years now to transfer in salaries from overseas, never had a problem. USD comes in and is converted to THB immediately.

I have 3 credit cards with them, had to deposit an amount equivalent to the credit limit, in another account though.

How do you go using the card in overseas atms? I have just the basic debit card that can be used for online shopping and things as well. Because it is one of the ones with a security chip in it I can't use a lot of atms even in thailand and usually need to use bkk bank atms only. I asked them in the bank near asok the other day and she said I can probably use it in some countries only. She said if I wanted one that was better for using overseas I would need to travel to phuket where I opened the account to organise it and it takes 7 days to prepare. I can't imagine what sort of a card she was even talking about. I was complaining to my gf about this and she said bkk bank is not good in that any time you need to do something, they say you can only do it in the branch you opened it. So she changed to kasikorn which isn't like that apparently.

Another thing that worries me is my account getting locked up or frozen. I have heard of offshore workers having there accounts locked for using there cards in new destinations etc. Given that I travel to different countries frequently it is going to be painful trying to explain this to the bank everytime I move.

• 4 weeks later...

How do you go using the card in overseas atms? I have just the basic debit card that can be used for online shopping and things as well. Because it is one of the ones with a security chip in it I can't use a lot of atms even in thailand and usually need to use bkk bank atms only. I asked them in the bank near asok the other day and she said I can probably use it in some countries only. She said if I wanted one that was better for using overseas I would need to travel to phuket where I opened the account to organise it and it takes 7 days to prepare. I can't imagine what sort of a card she was even talking about. I was complaining to my gf about this and she said bkk bank is not good in that any time you need to do something, they say you can only do it in the branch you opened it. So she changed to kasikorn which isn't like that apparently.

Another thing that worries me is my account getting locked up or frozen. I have heard of offshore workers having there accounts locked for using there cards in new destinations etc. Given that I travel to different countries frequently it is going to be painful trying to explain this to the bank everytime I move.

BKK bank has two type of ATM cards, One with and one without the chip.

The card with the chip can only be used at a limited amount of ATM machines and mainly their own ATM machines. (better to take the one without the chip)

I have CC from BKK and Kasikorn and both work fine worldwide.

• 3 months later...

Archived