Do you use MSG (Mono sodium glutamate in cooking?

Yarinda

I I try to tell my wife to avoid adding it to the food. She sometimes add Ros-dee to the food.

The fact is that I am allergic to this white substance. When we eat out, even I insist to the waitor when we passing the order that " no adding MSG" ,
After coming home I usually got allergic symptom (swelling hand, itchy). Or in some good restaurants, I often got itchy and swelling hands. Anyone ever has the same problem as me? Seems like Thai people love this MSG so much.
  • Like 1

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both my wife and I react to too much MSG in the food. I get a warm, tingly (unpleasant) sensation down my neck and upper spine. The wifey gets the same, and in addition her face gets flushed.

Edited by MZurf

i like it, the food tastes better with it.

It's very common, I was surprised to learn that I'd been eating it for years when I found it's used in things like the famous brand 'KP Dry roasted peanuts' in the UK.

I wonder if these are available in Thailand anywhere ?

post-44895-0-16388900-1411588477_thumb.j

• Like 1

many thai pastes from 7-11 and micromarts have it as an ingredient ,in small doses occasionally no problem .

you would need to eat tons of it to put your health at risk ,

maggi sauces have it in

Edited by 3NUMBAS

Funny how the people who claim to have an "allergy" to it only experience flare-ups after eating in Asian restaurants...

Because they put so much of it in there!!!! Without it, most food here would taste awful. But it's ironic that there's never the same apathy regard peanut sufferers and this stuff is a manufactured chemical! If you're not sensitive then bully for you, I'm sure you can eat and drink everything with ease, wow what it must be like to be perfect, I salute you all.
  • Like 1

At home we don't use MSG.

Some time ago I realised that headaches happened after eating at certain restaurant. Next times ordered food without adding Msg. NO headaches afterwards anymore, except when I forgot to ask not to add MSG.

• Like 1

Yarinda, you're absolutely correct. MSG is extremely toxic to some people and should be avoided at all costs. My wife and I actually carry a card with us that we can give to the waitress or cook to ask them not to add MSG to our food. It goes on to say that we are extremely allergic to MSG and may die in their restaurant if we consume it. My wife breaks out in hives for days, has trouble breathing, has heart palpitations and arrhythmia and has on occasion gone into anaphylactic shock. We have had to take my adult stepdaughter to the ER at least three times in the past three years. Unfortunately, as much as we insist that the MSG not be added to our food, many times the message never makes its way back to the cook, and other times they refuse to comply because they are afraid their food will not taste good unless they add the MSG. Many will simply lie to us and say that they have not added it when they actually have. Keep in mind that most of the local bottled sauces have MSG added and that is usually enough to trigger a reaction in some people. My wife shops carefully and is able to find these sauces that have no MSG added, so they are definitely out there if you'll just look around. Also, the manufacturers have conveniently come up with alternative names on their labels in an attempt to disguise the existence of MSG, so you must be very careful and learn to identify these counterfeit names.

Don't let the manufacturers fool you with their clever research that insists that MSG is harmless and don't take the advice of other posters who say that it is harmless to them. Listen to your own body and stay away from the stuff. It is a "silent killer"! See the following article for the truth about MSG.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/04/21/msg-is-this-silent-killer-lurking-in-your-kitchen-cabinets.aspx

• Like 2

Yes I use it, (and with no known side affects)

Not in all food that I cook but sometimes in food that needs that certain lift.

The world biggest producer of msg is Ajinomoto which is a Japanese Company.

Ajinomoto translated means, Essence of Taste,

Have a Nice Day.

Both my wife and I react to too much MSG in the food. I get a warm, tingly (unpleasant) sensation down my neck and upper spine. The wifey gets the same, and in addition her face gets flushed.

Thank you. Tingly. That is the word I was looking for. I sometimes get it on the left side of my face. Unpleasant and it started to get bothersome. I will try to find some correlation between the tingly sensation and where and when and what I eat. It is somewhat disturbing having lived in the Far East for 10 years and lately developing this problem.

Utter shit, should be banned

IF food id cooked with fresh quality ingredients there's NO need to enhance the flavour,

Its only used to enhance the taste of old rotten food that poorer folk have to eat (and some Hi So's in posh restaurants )

Edited by Lobber
  • Like 2

The problem with MSG is that it's added to most prepared foods and snacks that you can buy, you can avoid it only if you buy fresh vegetables and meet (no sausages and things like that). I'm not sure but my Thai friend (she is dietitian at a provincial hospital) told me that it's basically in all sauces from fish sauce to ketchup, all canned products and most snacks that you can buy in Thailand.

But I have to admit that if the food taste awful all you need to do is add some MSG! And I have tried some ordinary Thai food that usually have MSG cooked without MSG and it tasted just awful, example:

Som that Phara

Gang som

Kanom jin sai nam jaa

Personally I try use as little as possible of MSG and I stay away from light products as many of them contains modified fats and sugars like sukralos that is basically a close relative to DDT.

Tried it. Couldn't tell the difference with or without so threw it away and haven't bothered since.

You guys must have seen a Thai dress up a bowl of noodles. First a huge spoon of sugar. Next a teaspoon or two of chilli power/flakes. Then comes the fish sauce. Then perhaps some vinegar, crushed peanuts. All gets stirred then tasted with a lot of lip smacking. Not satisfied, they hardly ever seem to be, a little bit more of some of the previous condiments, more lip smacking, more condiments etc until they seem satisfied they got it right.smile.png

Yarinda, you're absolutely correct. MSG is extremely toxic to some people and should be avoided at all costs. My wife and I actually carry a card with us that we can give to the waitress or cook to ask them not to add MSG to our food. It goes on to say that we are extremely allergic to MSG and may die in their restaurant if we consume it. My wife breaks out in hives for days, has trouble breathing, has heart palpitations and arrhythmia and has on occasion gone into anaphylactic shock. We have had to take my adult stepdaughter to the ER at least three times in the past three years. Unfortunately, as much as we insist that the MSG not be added to our food, many times the message never makes its way back to the cook, and other times they refuse to comply because they are afraid their food will not taste good unless they add the MSG. Many will simply lie to us and say that they have not added it when they actually have. Keep in mind that most of the local bottled sauces have MSG added and that is usually enough to trigger a reaction in some people. My wife shops carefully and is able to find these sauces that have no MSG added, so they are definitely out there if you'll just look around. Also, the manufacturers have conveniently come up with alternative names on their labels in an attempt to disguise the existence of MSG, so you must be very careful and learn to identify these counterfeit names.

Don't let the manufacturers fool you with their clever research that insists that MSG is harmless and don't take the advice of other posters who say that it is harmless to them. Listen to your own body and stay away from the stuff. It is a "silent killer"! See the following article for the truth about MSG.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/04/21/msg-is-this-silent-killer-lurking-in-your-kitchen-cabinets.aspx

I get severe and very scary increases in heartbeat from MSG and avoid all restaurants in Thailand, except the ones where I know the chef personally. MSG is in all their soups and sauces, from the street stalls to the most expensive restaurants. Cooking at home with quality fresh ingredients is the best way to avoid MSG.

Tried it. Couldn't tell the difference with or without so threw it away and haven't bothered since.

You guys must have seen a Thai dress up a bowl of noodles. First a huge spoon of sugar. Next a teaspoon or two of chilli power/flakes. Then comes the fish sauce. Then perhaps some vinegar, crushed peanuts. All gets stirred then tasted with a lot of lip smacking. Not satisfied, they hardly ever seem to be, a little bit more of some of the previous condiments, more lip smacking, more condiments etc until they seem satisfied they got it right.smile.png

I have to agree with that, I can't taste vanilla and I can't taste a difference with MSG. I tried sprinkling one side of a home made pizza with the stuff, the committee here agreed that there was no difference.