The price of Paradise

Caspersfriend

"If paradise is half as nice as heaven that you take me to, who needs paradise, I'd rather have you
They say paradise is up in the stars but I needn't sigh because it's so far
'Cos I know it's worth a heaven on earth for me where you are."

Cue the song .....

I was born on an island where you are never far from the sea ... sadly that sea is often grey and the beach is often more clay or pebbles. I do however see [!] the attraction of living by the sea but even if the sea is crystal-clear, the sand is white and pristine, and the weather is warm and sunny, I question why so many will pay a premium [sometimes a massive premium] to live in such a location. I spent the Millennium New Year in the Fiji Islands and some of the locations I stayed at could define the word idyllic. However, Thailand gives the impression of being a very different animal when it comes to beach resorts. Never once did I feel threatened or extorted in any way when in Fiji, never once have I felt concerned during my seven years of living full-time in Northern Thailand. In contrast all I ever seem to hear or read about when it comes to Thailands' beach resorts is negative and I don't need to be specific as the headlines in any form of media do that.

I spent much of my life in sales and marketing and so realise it is indeed possible to sell snow to Eskimos. And so tourism apart, why are many of those who choose to make a permanent [!?] home in LOS willing to pay a high financial price to live surrounded by so many negative vibrations? Paradise is where you make it and whom you share it with; is it not?

People have a habit of just talking about the negatives. News Headlines and stories are always negative too. Have you ever seen a headline ' Retired couple are happy living beside the seaside in Pattaya'. No. Because headlines like that don't sell do they???

For every negative report about Thailand there's probably 10 conflicting stories that are positive. We just don't hear about them.

Don't let negativity from other people influence your opinion or life. Find out for yourself first....

Good to see that the first response is a positive one and completely agree with "Don't let negativity from other people influence your opinion or life. Find out for yourself first...."

However, what attracts people to the sea and rivers that they will pay such a premium to live there?

Especially as them headlines also tell us that within 'our lifetime' these desirable locations may well be under water due to Global Warming?

People have a habit of just talking about the negatives. News Headlines and stories are always negative too. Have you ever seen a headline ' Retired couple are happy living beside the seaside in Pattaya'. No. Because headlines like that don't sell do they???

For every negative report about Thailand there's probably 10 conflicting stories that are positive. We just don't hear about them.

Don't let negativity from other people influence your opinion or life. Find out for yourself first....

bloody hell......just the same as THAI VISA FORUM

• Like 2

"I spent much of my life in sales and marketing and so realise it is indeed possible to sell snow to Eskimos. And so tourism apart, why are many of those who choose to make a permanent [!?] home in LOS willing to pay a high financial price to live surrounded by so many negative vibrations? Paradise is where you make it and whom you share it with; is it not?"

On the mainland, mainly cheap and available p***y

But on the islands, mainly cheap and available drugs.

Edited by CharlieH

I think a lot of people NEED exposure to that negativity if only to subconsciously compare themselves favourably to others.

Some may listen to someone bitching and railing against the country and their experiences here and feel more smug and secure while telling themselves, "Thank God I'm not like THAT guy".

I agree with the assessment that bad news get;s reported a lot more than good news.

But that also applies to the north east or any other location,

I have not lived in any Thai islands long enough to have an opinion

but the OP's opinion , comparing the situation in Thai islands to Fiji and the North east of Thailand remains valid.

I think a lot of people NEED exposure to that negativity if only to subconsciously compare themselves favourably to others.

Some may listen to someone bitching and railing against the country and their experiences here and feel more smug and secure while telling themselves, "Thank God I'm not like THAT guy".

Yes now I understand. It's your mission in life to give everyone their daily recommended dose of negativity.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yes now I understand. It's your mission in life to give everyone their daily recommended dose of negativity.

laugh.png

I know you can't help feeling bitter at the embarrassment I've caused you by drawing attention to several cringingly foolish remarks you've made in the past but isn't it high time you got over it?

• Like 1

Well there has to be some non-delusional people around.

You met or know any of them?

P.S. Why is it when you simply make a typo [Chang] and correct it within a couple of minutes does the "edited blah blah" appear?

Edited by Caspersfriend

Well there has to be some non-delusional people around to let the delusional people know that they are delusional even if the non-delusional people have deluded themselves into thinking they are non-delusional.

What if the delusional people have deluded themselves into believing they too are non-delusional?

Well there has to be some non-delusional people around to let the delusional people know that they are delusional even if the non-delusional people have deluded themselves into thinking they are non-delusional.

What if the delusional people have deluded themselves into believing they too are non-delusional?

Then I guess they're deluded.

Then I guess they're deluded.

I think most westerners here in Thailand are deluded to some extent. Those with an honest, perceptive outlook are usually described as pessimists.

I'm deluded enough to believe the Koh Tao killers may yet be caught.

• Like 1

Two guys are camping in the forest . A big bear sneaks up on them. They both start to run. One guy says to the other: Do you think you can outrun this bear? Guy #2 replies: I don't have to outrun the bear -- I just have to outrun you.

You can be deluded or non-deluded; as long as no one is around to tell you that you are deluded, what's the difference?

• Like 1

You can be deluded or non-deluded; as long as no one is around to tell you that you are deluded, what's the difference?

I think too that certain individuals you may think of as delusional should more correctly be described as insecure. But now I'm just smithing words.

• Like 1

If you believe you live in paradise, where do you go for a holiday?

Or in "Talking Heads" song, "Paradise is a place where nothing ever happens!"

So we are trading quotes now .....

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Henry Ford

Sort of, but not for one up manship.

I have a beautiful home and family, but at times am bored, need a change. Then when away, I can't wait to get home. Another paradox of paradise.

If you believe you live in paradise, where do you go for a holiday?

Or in "Talking Heads" song, "Paradise is a place where nothing ever happens!"

So we are trading quotes now .....

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Henry Ford

Sort of, but not for one up manship.

I have a beautiful home and family, but at times am bored, need a change. Then when away, I can't wait to get home. Another paradox of paradise.