Most people happy with the junta

Lite Beer

"I think posters are going a bit overboard with the "no criticism" stuff."

I just came across this while looking for something else:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/06/26/thailand-politics-idUSL4N0P71F020140626

There is an article in the Bangkok Post entitled "NRC picks stir barrage of criticism" which states that PTP and red shirts have voiced concern. I assume they're all in jail now. Or not.

Apparently the military decided that criticism of a process for selecting members of a committee being formed is acceptable, within limits. Can you find any news articles that are more direct in their criticism?

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.reuters.c...N0P71F020140626

this link from Bruce, illustrates my point

"the military would monitor reports that were false or posed a threat to national security."

That's a big step away from arresting people criticising the government.

The article doesn't state that these are the only things the military would look for, or take action against. It also states:

"Thailand's military authorities are setting up a network of panels to closely monitor domestic and international media and crack down on criticism of what the junta sees as its efforts to right the country,"

"Police will not pursue legal action against media so long as journalists are cooperative and help share news that is constructive and true. Those that spread inappropriate content may face criminal charges."

In a country with a free press the government has no right to take action against news that is critical or unconstructive in the eyes of the government.

• Like 2

"I think posters are going a bit overboard with the "no criticism" stuff."

I just came across this while looking for something else:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/06/26/thailand-politics-idUSL4N0P71F020140626

There is an article in the Bangkok Post entitled "NRC picks stir barrage of criticism" which states that PTP and red shirts have voiced concern. I assume they're all in jail now. Or not.

Apparently the military decided that criticism of a process for selecting members of a committee being formed is acceptable, within limits. Can you find any news articles that are more direct in their criticism?

Hmmm ... You say the government can't be criticised, and a find an article where the government is criticised (by PTP no less), and then you want me to find more articles where they are criticised?

And if they took polls during the first few months of any previous administrations, the results would have been quite the same.

Every thing or person starts off favorable, like many xgirlfriends etc in the beginning. Time is the real proof.

My TOT internet connection was the best I've ever had anywhere, but now it's slow as S#&t.

That last typhoon damaged the sub-sea Internet cable. That is why your Internet connection is slow. No government actually regulates speed; just content.

Wrong ram.....................my TOT started slowing for 6 months before the coup due to them over selling their capacity to serve and maintain.

Then it dropped like a rock just after the coup with the military throttling/censoring the feed up and down.

And, you're wrong in that they maybe don't regulate speed, but when they censor traffic, it slows...........ask the experts if you don't believe me.

In the last 5 months of yinglucks rule there was no typhoons damaging internet cables, but then this typhoon dropped like a rock after the coup when the military came to power.

We can chalk this typhoon up to the Junta as well then. Ask the experts if you don't think it was a typhoon.

PTP logic right there folks.

Next you will say there is no corruption in the rice scheme!

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hmmm ... You say the government can't be criticised, and a find an article where the government is criticised (by PTP no less), and then you want me to find more articles where they are criticised?

Yes. An article that has direct criticism of the government, not criticism of a process to select members for a committee being formed. I could give examples of what constitutes direct criticism, but then the post would be deleted. You know the routine.

Off topic posts waffling on about previous juntas have been removed as well as the replies. Inflammatory posts and replies have been removed..

And some posts containing comments that are negative toward the imposition of Martial Law have been removed as well.

Yes. An article that has direct criticism of the government, not criticism of a process to select members for a committee being formed. I could give examples of what constitutes direct criticism, but then the post would be deleted. You know the routine.

Off topic posts waffling on about previous juntas have been removed as well as the replies. Inflammatory posts and replies have been removed..

And some posts containing comments that are negative toward the imposition of Martial Law have been removed as well.

Criticism of the government appears to be OK. It must be if PTP can do it.

Criticism of the coup and martial law isn't.

• Like 1

"the machinations of multi-party democracy was a bit too difficult for the target audience. "Coup' and "B500/day" they could manage."

do you enjoy denigrating the Thai people that way?

Actually, very few of the Thai people accepted that an insurgency against a coup 4 years before, and after elections, was reasonable. Oh, and a few farangs.

"the machinations of multi-party democracy was a bit too difficult for the target audience. "Coup' and "B500/day" they could manage."

Actually, very few of the Thai people accepted that an insurgency against a coup 4 years before, and after elections, was reasonable. Oh, and a few farangs.

yeah, right.

you might recall that 2010 was not about the coup in 2006 but calling for elections due to the judicial coup of 2008.

And there were many many Thai people who thought then, as earlier this year, that elections were perfectly reasonable.

just to add, talking down the Thai people the way that you do really is unjust and unnecessary. gratuitous slandering, as it were.

Edited by tbthailand

yeah, right.

you might recall that 2010 was not about the coup in 2006 but calling for elections due to the judicial coup of 2008.

And there were many many Thai people who thought then, as earlier this year, that elections were perfectly reasonable.

Hmm ... they begin their protests a couple of weeks after Thaksin loses a heap of his money, but it's not about that, it's about something over 12 months earlier. They're a bit slow, aren't they?

• Like 1

yeah, right.

just to add, talking down the Thai people the way that you do really is unjust and unnecessary. gratuitous slandering, as it were.

If you had been here at the time, you might have heard what was being said by our northern visitors.

Yes, the elections were perfectly reasonable, except that one faction seems incapable of following election law, and were caught on video giving a bribe. That and the resulting penalty were a bit complex for some, especially as it was the government of the time that failed to call for fresh elections. Oh dear, caught red-handed, given a slap, and mistakenly thought that was it.

I am NOT denigrating the Thai people, I am denigrating the idiots unable to see through the sham democracy of Thaksin the great benefactor who always seems to benefit the most.

• Like 1

You forgot about elections, the junta banned calls for elections. So criticism of the coup, criticism of martial law, and calls for elections are all banned. People can't criticize how the junta came to power, how it stays in power, or talk about a means to remove them from power. Quite a lot is off limits there. However there is more, as the first paragraph of my earlier link indicated (and you conveniently ignored):

"Thailand's military authorities are setting up a network of panels to closely monitor domestic and international media and crack down on criticism of what the junta sees as its efforts to right the country, a senior officer said on Thursday." http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/06/26/thailand-politics-idUSL4N0P71F020140626

Before you retreat behind your tiny fig leaf again, I'll point out that tiny exceptions to the general rule do not disprove the general rule. I've read that Hitler was kind to animals, but he was still an evil person. I've read that Mussolini made the trains run on time, but he was still a terrible leader. You maintain that since the junta allowed one news article about criticism of the selection process for members of a committee that the junta allows criticism. I've referenced a news article that shows the junta set up a panel to monitor the news and take action against news organizations that criticize it. I think my argument is stronger. However if you can provide links to articles published in Thailand that strongly and directly criticize the junta I will concede that you are correct.

yeah, right.

If you had been here at the time, you might have heard what was being said by our northern visitors.

Yes, the elections were perfectly reasonable, except that one faction seems incapable of following election law, and were caught on video giving a bribe. That and the resulting penalty were a bit complex for some, especially as it was the government of the time that failed to call for fresh elections. Oh dear, caught red-handed, given a slap, and mistakenly thought that was it.

I am NOT denigrating the Thai people, I am denigrating the idiots unable to see through the sham democracy of Thaksin the great benefactor who always seems to benefit the most.

you can claim that you are not denigrating Thai people but that would just be running away from your own words. The post is still fresh and hasn't been deleted.

To say that elections were reasonable, except... is just a sham and an excuse (one of many) for people who don't think Thailand should have elections - you express that view repeatedly in a variety of ways.

You forgot about elections, the junta banned calls for elections. So criticism of the coup, criticism of martial law, and calls for elections are all banned. People can't criticize how the junta came to power, how it stays in power, or talk about a means to remove them from power. Quite a lot is off limits there. However there is more, as the first paragraph of my earlier link indicated (and you conveniently ignored):

"Thailand's military authorities are setting up a network of panels to closely monitor domestic and international media and crack down on criticism of what the junta sees as its efforts to right the country, a senior officer said on Thursday." http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/06/26/thailand-politics-idUSL4N0P71F020140626

Before you retreat behind your tiny fig leaf again, I'll point out that tiny exceptions to the general rule do not disprove the general rule. I've read that Hitler was kind to animals, but he was still an evil person. I've read that Mussolini made the trains run on time, but he was still a terrible leader. You maintain that since the junta allowed one news article about criticism of the selection process for members of a committee that the junta allows criticism. I've referenced a news article that shows the junta set up a panel to monitor the news and take action against news organizations that criticize it. I think my argument is stronger. However if you can provide links to articles published in Thailand that strongly and directly criticize the junta I will concede that you are correct.

any publication since the 'intervention' that has reported things that the 'NCPO' doesn't like have been blocked - sites inside and outside of Thailand. Inside of Thailand, that naturally only affects the sites that are still active. Examples include reporting from Prachatai and Khaosod. FT, BBC, and Youtube have all been blocked.

No censorship here.

The piddly little bits and pieces of 'criticism' like reporting on microphones in the government house don't worry the 'NCPO' in the least. Touch on any one of several sensitive topics, however, and the hammer comes down. And the point is all the more clear in that we cannot even mention those sensitive topics which you simply describe as "directly criticizing the junta".

Inside of Thailand, that naturally only affects the sites that are still active. Examples include reporting from Prachatai and Khaosod. FT, BBC, and Youtube have all been blocked.

No censorship here.

Just checked.

Every one of those websites is up and running.

No blocking here.

• Like 1

Inside of Thailand, that naturally only affects the sites that are still active. Examples include reporting from Prachatai and Khaosod. FT, BBC, and Youtube have all been blocked.

No censorship here.

Just checked.

Every one of those websites is up and running.

No blocking here.

Same here, all those websites work fine on my computer, use the BBC every morning.

• Like 2

you can claim that you are not denigrating Thai people but that would just be running away from your own words. The post is still fresh and hasn't been deleted.

To say that elections were reasonable, except... is just a sham and an excuse (one of many) for people who don't think Thailand should have elections - you express that view repeatedly in a variety of ways.

I can only assume that the post hasn't been deleted because the moderators don't agree with your claim. Tough TIT.

My exception pointed out the obvious problem of that, and other, elections here; one faction is incapable of obeying election law. In 2008 it was bribery, in 2011 it was use of banned politicians and putting forward of persons facing serious criminal charges as party list nominees. In both cases the penalty is clear, and it is assumed that the reason PTP wasn't disbanded was the expected political unrest and violence that would cause.

Despite your baseless claim, I quite enjoy Thai elections. They are a source of amusement for me and valuable income for my TGF's family in the NE. It is a pity that one faction, IMHO, deliberately break electoral law so that they will have political violence as a fallback should they be penalised and/or lose the election.

BTW really hurts you that the poll might just be accurate, eh?

BTW2 Are your computer disfunctions because it is "red" programmed?

Edited by halloween
  • Like 2

I can only assume that the post hasn't been deleted because the moderators don't agree with your claim. Tough TIT.

My exception pointed out the obvious problem of that, and other, elections here; one faction is incapable of obeying election law. In 2008 it was bribery, in 2011 it was use of banned politicians and putting forward of persons facing serious criminal charges as party list nominees. In both cases the penalty is clear, and it is assumed that the reason PTP wasn't disbanded was the expected political unrest and violence that would cause.

Despite your baseless claim, I quite enjoy Thai elections. They are a source of amusement for me and valuable income for my TGF's family in the NE. It is a pity that one faction, IMHO, deliberately break electoral law so that they will have political violence as a fallback should they be penalised and/or lose the election.

BTW really hurts you that the poll might just be accurate, eh?

BTW2 Are your computer disfunctions because it is "red" programmed?

No election anywhere is perfect. ANFREL stated the 2011 election was legitimate http://www.voanews.com/content/asian-observer-group-commends-thai-election-cites-minor-flaws--125003034/141777.html. Do you have any evidence that the irregularities you mentioned put the election results in doubt?

No election anywhere is perfect. ANFREL stated the 2011 election was legitimate http://www.voanews.com/content/asian-observer-group-commends-thai-election-cites-minor-flaws--125003034/141777.html. Do you have any evidence that the irregularities you mentioned put the election results in doubt?

Oh, the elections were legitimate. I agree.

The behaviour of the political parties and especially Pheu Thai is a different matter. You once wrote not to see any problem with that criminal fugitive Thaksin being involved in the 2011 elections. Now of course your entitled to your opinion, but it does sound a bit funny coming from a 'defender of democracy'.

Now as for the topic, most people in Thailand seem happy. Not a handful of TVF posters, but it would seem none of them live and work in Thailand. If they did they might have agreed with the OP. People in Bangkok seem happy enough although I suspect some couldn't care less as long as it doesn't interfere with what they are doing.

What is your problem? Electoral law sets the rules each side should play by to ensure a fair result. If one side ignores electoral law, the playing field is not even, which brings into question the "clear result".

Actually, the result is irrelevant; if you can't abide by the rules, you pay the penalty. Or not, if your supporters are proven to be prone to violence, as in this case.

"the military would monitor reports that were false or posed a threat to national security."

The article doesn't state that these are the only things the military would look for, or take action against. It also states:

"Thailand's military authorities are setting up a network of panels to closely monitor domestic and international media and crack down on criticism of what the junta sees as its efforts to right the country,"

"Police will not pursue legal action against media so long as journalists are cooperative and help share news that is constructive and true. Those that spread inappropriate content may face criminal charges."

In a country with a free press the government has no right to take action against news that is critical or unconstructive in the eyes of the government.

Name me one country outside of your head that has complete freedom of the press.

Stop and think about it for a minute if you were trying to make some thing rite would you allow every body to belittle your efforts if you could stop it.

I guess you are new here to Thailand and have no idea of it's history. But the current government has so much corruption and wrong doing to correct that they have point blank stated that after the election which is estimated to be a year away there will still be lots of work to do. There is no quick fix. You are not living in wonderland. Sit back and enjoy the show.

I'm still waiting for the only meaningful poll; it's called a general election. That way, the truth can be known about how "happy" the majority is with the junta.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

66 million Thais and you figure less than half of them voting will show you what the majority likes. Check the past government. Only 49% of the voters wanted them and still they won. Pretty sad when the minority rules.

You have a very apt avatar name vision chaser probably for 45 years. Keep chasing them.clap2.gif

If you want the election to show you have all 66 million voters vote. That is the only true test. In the mean time keep on chasing those visions.giggle.gif

Edit

I don't trust the Thai polls any more than I do the elections for reality. It would be nice to see a professional reputable experienced company take a poll.

Edited by northernjohn

Most people I speak to are anything but happy but I guess it depends who you talk to.

Talking to my suppliers in Chinatown ( all yellow shirt coup supporters ) , they are not happy. They are not happy because business is bad and they are hurting. They all support the Junta and support the coup but they somehow can't understand why they are now suffering so much. Business is bad everywhere but they seriously thought a change around the trough would alter this and are a bit disappointed it hasn't. There are people around but they are just window shopping not stopping to buy.

There are also fewer tourists about spending their money. Great for some, but not so great for those who depend on them.

They ask my opinion and what can I say except :

' Suck it up ............... you won !! Self sufficiency is the key to happiness ' They are not happy with this answer. Pity because it's the truth !

Name me one country outside of your head that has complete freedom of the press.

Stop and think about it for a minute if you were trying to make some thing rite would you allow every body to belittle your efforts if you could stop it.

I guess you are new here to Thailand and have no idea of it's history. But the current government has so much corruption and wrong doing to correct that they have point blank stated that after the election which is estimated to be a year away there will still be lots of work to do. There is no quick fix. You are not living in wonderland. Sit back and enjoy the show.

LOL. This reads like you are the one new to Thailand !!

The behaviour of the political parties and especially Pheu Thai is a different matter. You once wrote not to see any problem with that criminal fugitive Thaksin being involved in the 2011 elections. Now of course your entitled to your opinion, but it does sound a bit funny coming from a 'defender of democracy'.

Now as for the topic, most people in Thailand seem happy. Not a handful of TVF posters, but it would seem none of them live and work in Thailand. If they did they might have agreed with the OP. People in Bangkok seem happy enough although I suspect some couldn't care less as long as it doesn't interfere with what they are doing.

"You once wrote not to see any problem with that criminal fugitive Thaksin being involved in the 2011 elections."

If this is the post I'm thinking of, I wrote that Yingluck and Thaksin made no secret of the relationship, and indeed made it a big part of the PTP campaign. Since the PTP won the largest block of votes campaigning on this arrangement, then I think their vote should have been respected. If the voters grew tired of the arrangement they could have voted differently in the next election, if there had been a next election. Besides, in a society with endemic corruption, there are only politicians who have been convicted after losing a power struggle, and the politicians who have not yet been convicted.

I do agree that most Thai people have little interest in politics, they just want to get on with there lives. However I have no doubt the junta doesn't allow calls for elections because they know the elections won't turn out the way they want them to.

What is your problem? Electoral law sets the rules each side should play by to ensure a fair result. If one side ignores electoral law, the playing field is not even, which brings into question the "clear result".

Actually, the result is irrelevant; if you can't abide by the rules, you pay the penalty. Or not, if your supporters are proven to be prone to violence, as in this case.

I see. Do you think shutting down government by illegally occupying government buildings is playing by the rules? How about disruption national elections? Were the generals playing by the rules when they staged the coup?

• Like 1

"Name me one country outside of your head that has complete freedom of the press."

None. But I can name a lot of countries that allow criticism of the government. Do you think it is acceptable to sharply curtail freedom of the press just because no country is perfect in this area?

I know enough of the history of Thailand to know that corruption did not begin with Thaksin, and didn't disappear during the frequent periods of military rule. As far as the military cleaning up corruption, I think they will see to it that the civilian government is no more corrupt than the military. I don't think anyone will notice a difference.

"You once wrote not to see any problem with that criminal fugitive Thaksin being involved in the 2011 elections."

If this is the post I'm thinking of, I wrote that Yingluck and Thaksin made no secret of the relationship, and indeed made it a big part of the PTP campaign. Since the PTP won the largest block of votes campaigning on this arrangement, then I think their vote should have been respected. If the voters grew tired of the arrangement they could have voted differently in the next election, if there had been a next election. Besides, in a society with endemic corruption, there are only politicians who have been convicted after losing a power struggle, and the politicians who have not yet been convicted.

I do agree that most Thai people have little interest in politics, they just want to get on with there lives. However I have no doubt the junta doesn't allow calls for elections because they know the elections won't turn out the way they want them to.

Nice that in a democracy a political party is allowed to 'bring in' a criminal fugitive and people think that should be respected. Rule of law anyone ?

• Like 1

Most people I speak to are anything but happy but I guess it depends who you talk to.

Talking to my suppliers in Chinatown ( all yellow shirt coup supporters ) , they are not happy. They are not happy because business is bad and they are hurting. They all support the Junta and support the coup but they somehow can't understand why they are now suffering so much. Business is bad everywhere but they seriously thought a change around the trough would alter this and are a bit disappointed it hasn't. There are people around but they are just window shopping not stopping to buy.

There are also fewer tourists about spending their money. Great for some, but not so great for those who depend on them.

They ask my opinion and what can I say except :

' Suck it up ............... you won !! Self sufficiency is the key to happiness ' They are not happy with this answer. Pity because it's the truth !

You seem to give some good example why reforms are necessary and why the 'applicable to all" may yet be a nasty surprise to some.

As for downturn in business, no idea what those you know are supplying. THe current government is throwing arounfd much less easy money than the previous government it would seem.

As for tourists, well it did rain a lot here in Bangkok the last two weeks. Mind you later this month things should start to pick up, although not necessarily in Bangkok. IMHO.