No one should have a problem opening an account here, even on Tourist visa

I see so many people posting that they get turned down by banks

Quote from Bangkok Bank's website

In Thailand for a short time?

Even if you are only visiting Thailand for a relatively short period of time, you can open asavings account and get a debit card to use for shopping and ATM withdrawals. All you will need to provide is your passport and one other official identification document – for example, your driver’s license or a reference letter from your embassy, your home bank or a person acceptable to the bank. (More details below)

You will also need to provide evidence of your address in Thailand as well as your regular address in your home country.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They are probably turning down farangs because the staff doesn't wanna deal with the hassle, if they refuse you, show the quote from their website.

Edited by Lukecan
  • Like 1

Agree...bank websites may say one thing but it comes down to branch management discretion when opening new accounts. Some branches have no issue with farang customers but some branches just don't seem to want farang customers. And whether a person likes it or not your apperance and mannerism makes a big impression for an account opening.

And whether a person likes it or not your apperance and mannerism makes a big impression for an account opening.

In some branches, certainly. But maybe you haven't seen some of the farangs clutching their account books in Kasikorn in Central Festival Pattaya.

It ain't just the bank employees that are lazy, incompetent. Try to get a sales clerk away from their iphone/mirror long enough to sell you a shirt/phone/computer in emporium/Robinson/central. Clearly these people are not on a commission.

• Like 1

That s Bangkok Bank's website.

Please be aware other banks have different policies. One of my banks for example will only open if you have a longer term visa or extension. Visa on arrival or tourist visa are not accepted.

Shame OP didnt add "...at Bangkok Bank to the title." :)

Cheers

Fletch :)

Cheers

Fletch :)

When I first arrived about 15 years ago as a tourist it was recommended to open a bank account with debit card. Safer than carrying cash and travelers checks around.

I can't remember the details but I had no trouble opening an account at that time.

Things sure have changed. I still have my original account and as I was transferring some monies from UK wanted to open another one to keep the two things separate.

"NO can, need work permit"

"I already have an account here and I'm retired so impossible to have work permit"

"NO can, need work permit"

"I want to see the manager"

"Manager not here - I deputy manager - NO can."

Wife had to drag me out of there before I slapped the pompous bitch round the face.

Went down the road to a small branch of the same bank inside a department store where the manager was only to happy to open an account.

Some time later noticed that the Pompous "No can" bitch had transferred to small branch but now she was all smiles and couldn't do enough to explain special promotions the bank was running.

Seems the staff get some sort of commission on transactions they handle and she missed out big time on my transfers from UK.

biggrin.png

• Like 1

And whether a person likes it or not your apperance and mannerism makes a big impression for an account opening.

In some branches, certainly. But maybe you haven't seen some of the farangs clutching their account books in Kasikorn in Central Festival Pattaya.

Yea, agree...in places like Pattaya, Phuket, central Bangkok, and other locations where farangs sightings are very common and could add-up to to more than just a drop in the bucket to a branch's bottom-line, a different level of appearance and mannerism seems be acceptable. But int the remaining 99.9% of Thailand appearance and mannerism--especially for a farang--seem to carry a higher standard. And "standard" may not be the right word...maybe what a Thai would consider "the norm" like it's not the norm for most Thai men to wear short pants in public which is common for farangs in Thailand (it's what I wear most of the time and see many farangs wearing); for Thai men long pants is the norm when out in public. Yes, yes, plenty of Thai mean wear short pants around the home, but when going to work, going to govt buildings, going to the temple, etc., long pants seems to be the norm. Another thing that's the norm for Thai men is short hair unless maybe you are a celebrity.

And since English capability at most branches is weak to nonexistent--sometimes even at some locations where there are a lot of farangs--and since Thai capability for most farangs is weak to nonexistent--communications headaches may be another reason some branches seem less willing to open an account for a farang.

Ah heck, probably many reasons some branches are resistive to opening a bank account for a farang regardless of nationality and regardless of what the parent bank's website says. The branch manager is the key person to set that branch's "real-world policy" for account openings--either they want your business or they don't.

Already have one account with a certain bank and wanted to open a second to use for overseas withdrawals, ie keep the cash in there as a minimum ammount to avoid losing the lot when using an ATM in other Asian countries.

Couldn't do it as " It could be used as a way to launder money"

You tell me what that means because I sure as hell don't know.

Bangkok Bank once told me they would close my account when I asked for a new pass book after 15 years as a customer because I didn't have a work permit, even though I am a permanent resident and had all the books with me. A lengthy argument ensued where I asked how I was I supposed to live in Thailand without a bank account after being granted permanent residence for life, working or not. The bank clerk refused to listen to reason or back down - no WP we close your account. Eventually I said I wasn't going to leave the branch until they called HQ in front of me. Luckily someone at HQ told her she couldn't close the account of someone with permanent residence whether they have a WP or not and I got my new bank book. A bit of a sweat though. A nasty example of hitlerism in bank branches.

Bangkok Bank seems particularly bad at that sort of thing and their market share of consumer banking is very low for their asset size. They mainly pander to large corporate accounts and shaft the retail clients. KBANK is the best in my experience and is very good on consumer banking.

Bangkok bank is the best for a number of reasons. Fisrt they are the only bank in thailand with chipped cards that the atm skimmers cant get at u. They are the only bank that provide visa debit card for internet purchases and they are the most foriegner friendly bank for loans.

• Like 2

I have to say that I had no problems opening a passbook savings account at Bangkok Bank in Chiang Mai. All I was asked to show them was my passport and a lease contract. Funnily enough the lease was only in my boyfriend's name. But, this was either went unnoticed or deemed unnecessary. I like that the passbook account came with a visa debit card too. I was only staying on a tourist visa on entry at that point too.

I can't say the same for SCB. They wanted us to produce all sorts of documents that we hadn't heard of before. Luckily, a friend suggested we try Bangkok Bank before we gave up on finding a good local bank!

Had considered going with Kasikorn bank but they were always a bit rude and downright reluctant to help even when asked to find the right form to do a transaction!?

I came to thailand in late April on a tourist visa and no one really wanted to give me a bank account,but I just ask and they told me to get: 1). income letter from the embassy 2). Thai drivers lic would help. After getting those 2 things I opened 2 bank accounts without a problem.

Edited by orangeguy72

whistling.gif Sorry, that is not true.

Now, understand, I have two separate Bangkok Bank accounts right now in Bangkok. and have had others before that I have now closed.

I am now retired in Bangkok, and am not unfamiliar with opening Thai bank accounts and especially Bangkok Bank accounts as I opened my first one in 1991.

But the first timer will meet several problems ..... they can be overcome..... but you will meet them when trying to open your first account.

One is that the staff on the floor will not want to open an account because , quite frankly, they don't do it that often for a foreigner, and therefore they are not sure of the correct procedures.would mean they will lose "face".

If you have been in Thailand long enough you will know of the "face" problem ..... the bank staff doesn't want to have to say the words, " I'm sorry but I'm not really I know how to do that ..... opening an account for a foreigner", because to say that means they will lose "face".

I've heard such excuses as:

• We can't do that unless you have a work permit
  • We will need a letter from your embassy.
  • You can't open an account on a tourist visa.
  • And you will need a Thai person as a sponsor or a co-signer to open an account.

None of them are true, but are the excuse used to avoid saying, "I'm not sure how to open a deposit account for a foreigner".

All these excuses can be overcome by smiling and being polite..... and to keep trying at various branches until you find one that will be brave enough to try to open the account for you.

I opened another Bangkok Bank account in July 2014 ..... and at first I heard the same excuses again ...... but I was able to keep calm and smile until the account was finally opened.

My U.S. Social Security pension is direct deposit in Bangkok Bank now, which I was told by others at the Bank was not possible, but it was done with some effort.

So, it is possible, just be calm and smile and things can be accomplished.

What is this "face" thing you speak of?

Now, understand, I have two separate Bangkok Bank accounts right now in Bangkok. and have had others before that I have now closed.

I am now retired in Bangkok, and am not unfamiliar with opening Thai bank accounts and especially Bangkok Bank accounts as I opened my first one in 1991.

But the first timer will meet several problems ..... they can be overcome..... but you will meet them when trying to open your first account.

One is that the staff on the floor will not want to open an account because , quite frankly, they don't do it that often for a foreigner, and therefore they are not sure of the correct procedures.would mean they will lose "face".

If you have been in Thailand long enough you will know of the "face" problem ..... the bank staff doesn't want to have to say the words, " I'm sorry but I'm not really I know how to do that ..... opening an account for a foreigner", because to say that means they will lose "face".

• And you will need a Thai person as a sponsor or a co-signer to open an account.

None of them are true, but are the excuse used to avoid saying, "I'm not sure how to open a deposit account for a foreigner".

All these excuses can be overcome by smiling and being polite..... and to keep trying at various branches until you find one that will be brave enough to try to open the account for you.

I opened another Bangkok Bank account in July 2014 ..... and at first I heard the same excuses again ...... but I was able to keep calm and smile until the account was finally opened.

My U.S. Social Security pension is direct deposit in Bangkok Bank now, which I was told by others at the Bank was not possible, but it was done with some effort.

Well that's not true either,BB. is the most farang triendly bank around.I doubt you would get any of the above excuses.My 1st port of call is the managers office,never fails.

I agree with you on incompetent part however do not agree about being polite and calm part.

I am sick and tired of taking up the back side because some lazy retarded employee is worried about loosing the face.

Demand to speak with a manager or call call Center and demand actions .

Just recently ordered $2000 from the bank, giving them 2-3 weeks notice to arrange and order the money . 1 day before I was suppose to collect it, they called to advise they only have $1100.

I was not polite and was not calm, but called the call Center and head office, by miracle 1 hour after my calls branch had the full $2000.

Why they did not have it in the first place ? Because lazy teller did not order money from head office , nor did she call other branches.

Screw her face, staff are there to work and provide service, they are not there to make sure they have a fun and easy day even when they screw up or " do not know "

Been here long?

Bangkok Bank HQ office has a big sign in the customer service lobby that says "We Welcome Foreigner Customers". I opened an account there as a tourist last year and had only my passport and a U.S. driver's license (for back-up photo ID). Minimum deposit THB 500. No problem at all. I am very happy with their service and regularly transfer cash from the U.S. that arrives in my account in 72 hours. I have debit and credit cards from them too.

kosikorn bank is probably the easiest bank to open an account when on tourist visa. friendly staff and not hassles.

That has changed recently , they are not as friendly anymore as you can read about in earlier threads here on Thaivisa,

But its more like a scam going on, that they try to force new customers to sign up for a fixed deposit account where minimum deposit is 10 or 20k , instead of a savings account.

The staff probably get commision by doing this,

I already own 3 kasikorn accounts , the last one opened in 2013 , never had any issues with them .

If this ever happened to me I would just call customer service and hand the phone over to the incompetent staff. I am sure that will get things moving.

Edited by balo

Bangkok Bank demanded I buy recurring life insurance from them. I dressed right, smiled, was polite still denied without buying policy. I walked out and KTB was happy to help me. Love KTB app cant be happier. It's loaded with awesome features.

The last account I opened with Bangkok Bank was in Dec 13 at the branch on the first floor of the HQ Bangkok Bank building on Silom Rd, Bangkok. They offered me insurance...I quickly said no I have plenty of insurance...then they continued to open the account no problem with a regular debit card that has an annual fee of Bt200/year versus one of the pricey debit cards---say Bt500 to Bt1,000/year--that come with reoccurring accident insurance.

I think for many Thai banks it's becoming more common for the bank employees to offer/push accident insurance type debit cards but a person just needs to politely say no you don't need or want that as you have plenty of insurance already--that response may not work at every branch but should at most....it has always worked for me the few times I've been asked when opening a new bank account. A Krungsri branch asked me the same thing earlier this month when I opened an account....I politely said no I don't need or want it as I have plenty of insurance...I just want the regular debit card...they then continued on to open the account.

It's kinda like every McDonald's I've visited in Bangkok..and I've got one near my home I go to a lot....they "always" have to offer the "upsize" (20 baht more) where you get a large fries and drink with the combo/set you are ordering versus the regular size drink and fries. Even if you walk up to the counter/go through the drive-thru and make your order and say "no upsize" even before they have a chance to say anything, they will take your order and "still ask if you want to upsize." I figure it's just McDonald's "policy" they always ask....and it's my policy always just to say no. Now days, I don't even tell them I don't want the "upsize" while ordering as I know they will still ask me regardless---just there job to ask because it's their policy.

Your comments are partially true but as mentioned a person may need to try different branches of the same bank. Even if you show the rules on a website of what is needed at to open an account not only the tellers but I have asked for the manaager and was told I could not open an account on a retirement visa. (Citi Bank _Central World) Went to Citi Bank across from Asok Station and they opened account. Each branch of banks sets theri own policy regardless what a site says is needed to open account.

Your comments are partially true but as mentioned a person may need to try different branches of the same bank. Even if you show the rules on a website of what is needed at to open an account not only the tellers but I have asked for the manaager and was told I could not open an account on a retirement visa. (Citi Bank _Central World) Went to Citi Bank across from Asok Station and they opened account. Each branch of banks sets theri own policy regardless what a site says is needed to open account.

From what I noticed, all it takes is one idiot to say any stupidity and all employee's and management in the same branch will back it up no matter how stupid his /her comment or ruling was.

Not much to do with actual rules but rather 1 persons incompetence.

Face or whatever else the excuse may be.

Opened account at Krung Thai, last December on 30 day stamp. Opened accounts at Kasikorn and Bangkok Bank last month, on tourist visa. All banks in Surin. Went to each bank, put passport and money on counter and asked to open account. Signed paperwork and walked out with passbook. No hassle.

Already have one account with a certain bank and wanted to open a second to use for overseas withdrawals, ie keep the cash in there as a minimum ammount to avoid losing the lot when using an ATM in other Asian countries.

Couldn't do it as " It could be used as a way to launder money"

You tell me what that means because I sure as hell don't know.

It's easy to understand...

Russian or Chinese goes into a Bank in NY or London, and wants to open account with 1 zillion roubles/yuen . . no trouble, Sir. We dont need ask someone like you where the money came from.

Westerner goes to his local Bank for some transaction of 1000$ / £. Hold on, you creep ! We don't allow anything such as that, even tho you been a customer here for years, because of money laundering ! We need to see your great grandparents Marriage certificate first !

Opened account at Krung Thai, last December on 30 day stamp. Opened accounts at Kasikorn and Bangkok Bank last month, on tourist visa. All banks in Surin. Went to each bank, put passport and money on counter and asked to open account. Signed paperwork and walked out with passbook. No hassle.

Out in the sticks, away from Bangkok the farmers will accept anyones money!!! thumbsup.gif