Tourist visa after 1 year Non Immigrant ED visa?

Hi,

I have suddenly run into visa problems because of the new tighter rules. I'm sure all foreigners now have similar problems but I'm trying to figure how best to move forward in this situation so any advice or experiences would be well appreciated.

So I am just about to finish my first Non immigrant ED visa with a language school. Now that the new stricter rules came into power I have to rush to do the whole visa application process for the second year and leave the country to get it done at an embassy abroad. Still last month there was no need to leave the country for the 2nd year visa but now that they changed the rules suddenly I have to get everything done before my visa expiry date Oct 28. They said I won't have time to get all the "government papers" in time before Oct 28 so this means I have to leave the country twice. I have to be out by the end of October and then return and wait for the papers to be ready and after that go to an embassy abroad (Vientiane) to get the new 1 year ED visa.

Now what I would like to know is if I should try to get a tourist visa from Vientiane for example on Oct 28 so that I would then have enough time to wait for my ED visa papers. I've been trough years of different kinds of visas and I'm not sure if they would give me a tourist visa now between my student visas? Another option would be to fly out of the country on Oct 28 and fly back and get a 1 month stamp at Suvarnabhumi. But is this possible now with the new rules? Would I automatically get one month when I fly out and in again or might there be a problem?

Thanks!

I am not an expert but I believe they will give you a tourist visa since you have been on an ED visa for one year. The only reason not to give tourist is if you have been on too many of these already.

Insofar as breaking up your visa with a tourist in between two ED visas, I have not read or heard anything to suggest this will be a problem. You should be able to apply for your second ED visa having been on a tourist visa in between.

Its worth noting that in some cases paperwork has been more than 2 months late for new ED visa schedule approvals. It all seems to depend on where you study and when your papers were submitted to the MOE during this tumultuous time,. I would recommend getting the maximum possible tourist visa you can to allow for potential delays.

• Like 1

A visa exempt entry either 15 or 30 days can now be extended for the 30 days at immigration. So a border run or a flight out and back is an option. They are only restricting back to back visa exempt entries so doing one after a ED visa/extension would not be a problem.

Also no problem to get a tourist visa.

I didn't get it either about the problem at Nong Khai border crossing and the 15 day thing. I have never had any problems at that border crossing. Last time I went with the Thaivisaservice van and was no problem except for the ridiculously long wait both ways.

Thanks for all the helpful comments! I might take a 60+30 day tourist visa in between my ED visas or I could also consider flying somewhere and getting the 30+30 (if they now allow EU citizens to get that extra 30 days from the immigration it should be a good option).

Just to confirm Ubonjoe's comment. Can I really go for a half day border run trip and get 15 days, then extend that by another 30 days at the immigration at Chaeng Watthana? That would be an easy 45 day extension.

Please check ubonjoe's reputation before asking for confirmation on his indications.

hmm I know nothing about that and I don't think I'm going to dig into it.

After evaluating my options I think I will fly to Saigon and go to the embassy for a 60+30 day tourist visa. Do you see any problem in getting one there? I could also go to Vientiane but bored of the long van trip and the flights are double compared to other close by destinations. Of course if they won't give me a tourist visa in Saigon then I'll get the 30+30 when I fly back, so both options should be ok.

From 2009-2012 I was on a Non ED University visa studying my MBA degree and after that I had like 3-4 tourist visas in a row. Now 2013-2014 I have had a 1 year language school ED visa which I want to continue. I suppose getting one tourist visa in between my 1st and 2nd year language school visa shouldn't be a problem, but now that the rules have changed who knows.

After evaluating my options I think I will fly to Saigon and go to the embassy for a 60+30 day tourist visa. Do you see any problem in getting one there? I could also go to Vientiane but bored of the long van trip and the flights are double compared to other close by destinations. Of course if they won't give me a tourist visa in Saigon then I'll get the 30+30 when I fly back, so both options should be ok.

Normally people goes to Laos for tourist visa also because can obtain double entry. Another common destination is Penang with no Malaysia visa required. Vietnam is not much a popular destination and their visa is expensive.

Edited by paz

I have also been to Vientiane many times but am very bored of the hassle at the border. I can fly to Ho Chi Minh for 3500 (return) and I don't need a visa for Vietnam (I don't know about their visas but Nordics don't need a visa for Vietnam). I will be going to Vientiane for my next Non ED though but I think I'll try for the tourist visa at Ho Chi Minh first as it is an easier trip.

Thanks for the info. I don't need double entry. With these new rules the government is forcing me to leave too often anyway. I would just like to know if Ho Chi Minh is a sure enough Thai embassy to get a tourist visa in my case or will they make a problem out of it. If they demand a ticket out of Thailand I guess I must then arrange some "booked ticket" to show them. When I did a tourist visa in Seoul and Hong Kong they also asked for a ticket out of Thailand but I just said I don't have one but still got the visa in both cases.

• 3 weeks later...

I will be going to Saigon for my tourist visa next week, hopefully I won't have any unexpected problems. Could anyone tell me if they require a flight ticket out of Thailand at the Saigon embassy? Or any other things I have to consider at the Thai Embassy in Saigon?

Thanks!